[Win10] Sketchup will not prompt to save model

I have an intermittent issue.
Shortly after installing Windows 10, Sketchup 2015 Pro stopped prompting me about saving my changes when I hit the “X” in the top right corner of the program window. I go back into the model once it has closed and all of the changes are lost. If I open the model in 2014 it will still prompt me to save my work, then change back into 2015 and it will work once and then stop again. I can take the extra step to hit save before I hit exit and it will save my work, but that is two steps for one task and annoying because it is not the way it is supposed to work. Also (not sure if it is connected) but along with a backup file of the same name as the model Sketchup will inconsistently save to an additional backup file named “0.skb” Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

I wrote this over a couple of hours and now it’s working again (not sure how long), I know it does not make a difference if the model is created in 2014 or 2015

Neither SU 2014 nor 2015 is developed currently to operate under the Win10 OS and, as a matter of best practice adherence, it is always considered wise to save your work before exiting any program, notwithstanding your predilection for minimizing steps required for a single task.

FYI, you may want to review this thread: Early Adopters (of New OS Versions) Be Cautious

3 Likes

Post removed by author (Unintended Double Post)

If SU cannot save the file name it wants to (ie the {name of file}.skb) then it will generate a 0.skb… and/or a 1.skb, 2.skb…etc.

What has probably happened is that your save directory is within a folder that now has “protected” privileges (or something like that) so that it can’t save your latest changes. The 0.skb is probably the latest backup, generated from when you hit the .

I’m not an expert, but I would try changing where you save to a folder within your “documents” folder or “desktop” or any other (what W10 calls) of the libraries folders. (Or changing the properties of the folder you currently save in.)