Why is there a selection tool delay in SketchUp (under Windows 10)?

Go to the Intel site and search for drivers for your GPU. Download the latest one and install it.

I use SketchUp mainly for woodworking stuff. I’d be interested in seeing what you do.

It looks like I have the latest driver.

The frustrating thing is that a week ago I could do everything I needed with this program. Today, I have one hour while my kids are sleeping, and i spend it trying to select an object because of something that happened to my computer while I was sleeping. Gah!

Here’s an image of an older project I drew. It never became more than a proposal, sadly.

Not sure what else to try. Thanks for your help.

Well, the next step would be to try rolling back the driver to the previous version.

That’s an interesting piece. I gather the cabinet making is your business. If so, you should be using SketchUp Pro instead of Make. SketchUp 2018 Pro has an option to get around these issues that Windows updates causes.

Try this Intel driver & support assistant to check for Intel updates (more than just graphics related update and given the latest security issues related to Intel chips, its good to be updated.)

To roll back a driver, go to your Windows Start and search for Device Manager > open Display adapters > r-click on your Intel graphics > Properties > Driver. If you can roll back a driver, the Roll Back Driver button will be enabled (not grayed out.) Sometimes the older driver has better OpenGL coding.

You guys are being super helpful.

The intel assistant keeps giving me an error screen, and the roll back option is grayed-out.

I found and downloaded the driver for my graphics card through intel’s website, but after running the exe file, it tells me that it’s not compatible with my computer.

You can keep responding if you have time, but I think I’m in some sort of inescapable loop.
Thanks again.

I’m just curious:
Does this cause problems for other programs?
Are other people having this same problem?

Sorry for the multiple replies as I try to figure this out.

I installed Make 2016 and disabled hardware acceleration:
Window>Preferences>OpenGL Unclick Use Hardware Acceleration

And that worked. Not ideal.

Pity the Intel assistant did not work. I was able to download it and run it before posting the link. Try again later. A few days ago it wasn’t working for me either. There are some internal problems with Intel chips, making them susceptible to malware exploits. Intel is scrambling to ID problems and roll out fixes. Though if you are using a computer from a manufacturer, that company should be pushing out fixes for that problem. Keep trying.

That grayed out button means you didn’t have an older driver. Nice to know. The way Intel labels drivers is a bit confusing. That’s why the Intel assistant is useful. You many already have it installed. Check the installed tools in the lower right taskbar.

Also check your computer manufacturer for driver updates.

In SU17, go to Window > Preferences > OpenGL. Try 0x option for multisample anti-aliasing. Restart SU for good measure.

This is such a tuff bug. FWIW intel has created a number of problems for itself in several areas.

There seems to be a systemic development problem at intel right now. They may be paying more attention to fancy drone shows and friday happy hours than creating drivers that work well and other items. Or maybe things have just gotten too complex to manage in general. As I have followed this problem here and in other places, it a very complex set of multi-faceted circumstances that come together to create this problem, and it can be created from several different sets of factors, not just a single set of factors.

That didn’t work either.

Alternatively, I’ve started accustomising myslef with the ‘right-click and escape key’ as an alternative to the ‘left-click’. This is embarassing! :smiley:

I think I’m going to cough up the cash and get 2018 pro, but can you assure me that this issue isn’t happening in that version? Or that there’s a way to address it more effectively than roll back (supposedly necessary) Windows updates and hope to correct the issue?

I was finally able to use the intel assistant, and it turns out that I have the latest driver. So I have still not resolved the selection tool malfunction in Make 2017.

Thank you again for your patience and assistance.

I looked up your Intel graphics on the Intel site. I’m not seeing any mention of Win 10 driver support. @DanRathbun am I reading the Intel support right - is the intel HD graphics 520 discontinued? Or is that one driver download listed for Win 10 OK for SU indicating there is still some hope for this chipset?

I’m also having this problem with the trial of 2018 Pro that I downloaded.

Did you try the following fix for SU18 Pro trial?

That worked! Awesome. Thank you so much.

This graphics GPU is sixth generation and is still under active support.

NO, you’re not reading correctly, mainly because this individual GPU page is not the page to determine OS support. That page is …

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005526/graphics-drivers.html

The page that lists the graphics GPUs/Chipsets no longer supported is …

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005733/graphics-drivers.html

That driver set was just released last Christmas (2017.)

Thanks @DanRathbun, I get those links bookmarked now.

@jeffreywandersen, if performance changes again, next try lowering your anti-aliasing to 0x in SU > Preferences > OpenGL. And in the same menu, you also can disable Use fast feedback.

1 Like

for SU 2017 (pro)
I’m also having this issue since 1709 (pro).
Since then, I worked on another pc with a lot of frustation.

Tonight, I’ve tried to update to 15.33.46.4885 without success.
I delete the graphic card with its driver.
After reboot, Windows 10 1709 installed 10.18.10.4358 (15.33.42.64.4358) for my i7 3770K (intel HD 4000).
SU 2017 is now functionnal. :alien:

until next reboot. :sweat:

Then, I install lastest, again : 15.33.46.4885
And now it work, after only 1 reboot. :upside_down_face:

See you next reboot.

edit / 2h later
I’ve tryed to determine which process could cause this lag. I use Autoruns from Sysinternals to desactivate everything from other softwares. After enabling MSASCuiL.exe, the next reboot was with the lag. Since then, the only choice I have was to try to delete again the driver, and hope.
After several others attempts, I manage to get back SU 2017 with lastest drivers witout lag.
For now I double crossed my fingers :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.