What is the value of a current signature on an extension?

My comment does not relate to that, as it is a very different issue.

2 Likes

As I recall, it was pulled out because many users have no need for it. Even in architectural applications the default north orientation along the green axis is appropriate for most users.

The only use I can think of is to reset north to green axis after geo-locating the model. (I still have no idea why geo location needs to invent a new north instead of just aligning the imported geometry to green axis and I doubt anyone knows)

Is the geo-located north solar north, magnetic north or true north? Is the time shown in the Shadows window solar time or is it just the general time in the selected time zone?

I’ve wondered that too. I’ve assumed Google Earth North is true north and I have no idea about time. Good question.

Nobody knows: - YouTube

Btw, maybe someone with the privilege could move these comments, starting at the one by RTCool to a new separate thread for solar north.

1 Like

Oh you’re opening a treasure trove of unanswered questions here.
Basically the time displayed on the time bar relates to the geocoordinates at the specific location that was imported, its longitude, as offset from Greenwich, without regards to country or summertime or wintertime.
In effect, where I live (the Netherlands), this will result in one or two hours error, depending on time of year.
Now I can manually correct the hour that puts me in time zone Greenwich and put me in GMT+1, but when I slide over to summer, I need to manually correct for Daylight Savings, and put it on GMT+2.
I’ve put in a feature request to update the time system last beta cycle but I’ve had little response to it. The very least they could do would be to add a checkbox “dst”.

Perhaps next year…

Oh and I agree with @eneroth3 that the topic needs to be split.

2 Likes

As the Original Poster (OP) of this thread, I’m in full agreement with @pyluna and @eneroth3 that the individual posts regarding Solar North should have been split off into a new thread.

I would if I could, but, unfortunately, I don’t have the authority to do that. Yes, I could “reply as a new topic”, but that wouldn’t move existing posts in this thread to the new topic. Additionally, I have (almost) no interest in Solar North issues, so I shouldn’t be the one to reply starting a new topic!

Thus I’m going to ping a few people who might have the necessary authority to fully split off the Solar North stuff to it’s own thread: @DanRathbun @SketchUpTeam @thomthom @Barry @jody
I hope that one of them can do what’s necessary - or at least pass this on to someone who can!

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.