What are some great rendering extensions for SketchUp?

After years of pleading for Unity to support SketchUp, it’s nuts that I didn’t know they had done it!

When you’re exporting to FBX or DAE, you have options to make models double sided. If Unity is seeing the original SKP, it won’t generate double sided faces. If you need something to look textured from both sides, you probably want to give it some thickness.

I found the tiling of textures comes across as 1x1, but that’s easily fixed in Unity by typing in a different tiling value for that material.

I did not see an exe file in the download…

At the below link you can see what I am working on in Unity. It is indeed work in progres.
This is a build made for web which I have put on my ftp server. You can also build for a stand alone exe-file or Android or IOS.
Everything is made in Sketchup.

Click here

Use WSAD keys, SHIFT, SPACE and mouse to navigate.

I build the cabins in Sketchup and import them one by one into Unity by drag and drop. Unity makes a copy of your SU model and puts it in the Asset-folder.

When you make changes to your original SU model, you have to copy the updated file to the asset folder. Then Unity automaticly updates the model in Unity.

To answer your questions - no, you do not have to save in a different format, just save as skp and import /drag and drop. Generally the textures is just fine in Unity, but I have had a few problems with textures.

Yes the model has the same groupe structure in Unity as in SU. Unity does not differentiate between groups and components. Everything is groups.

About textures - most other 3D software including Unity uses both a texture image AND a normal map image. Since you do not have a normal map for the textures fra Sketchup, the textures does noe look 3D when you look at them closely in Unity.

Quite impressive! Must study this more…

Anssi

In this Rendering Roundup video, starting around 29:19, is a video I made in Switzerland that ArtVPS presents as a product of their own Cloud rendering partnership with Limitless computing. They stole this video off my Youtube channel, removed my logo (you can see the last few frames of that logo before the video starts) and toured Canada, the U.S., Spain and other places claiming that they made it. Thieves and liars. They never got this model from me and the CEO, manager and those of Limitless Computing from Colorado were present at this presentation (after already making the same presentation with the same claims at the AIA that year in D.C.) convincing everyone that they could actually pull this work off and worse… that they did! Snake oil salesmen! Limitless Computing never EVER had anything to do with this animation and ArtVPS stood on this stage lying to everyone about an available service that had no yet produced anything showable in time for this tour. While fraudulently promoting this service, they were constantly refusing me to test it while simultaneously using my video (that took me MONTHS) to promote the same?!. Still hurts. Whatever render soft chosen… don’t use the energy sucking, slowest renderer on the market… Shaderlight. And don’t feed them money they’d steal if they could.

I alpha/beta tested for Shaderlight V2… and it NEVER performed as they promised it would. But, their broken promises and software forced me to find a better soft. And for THAT, I’m grateful because Solid Iris’ Thea Render does everything I ever wanted from SL and more. And the Thea Team are really doing their best for their users… as wonderful as anyone could hope for. I love using Thea. Great rendering soft and SU plugin.

Hello, i’ve Been reading most of half posts, I’ve tried Su Podium and Twilight. Podium has in my opinión a better pre-configuration of enviromenta light, i lije that a lot. Twilight doesn’t need Many time to configure materials, it’s easier y han Podium, but x me Podium has more quality… Bye bye. I’ll try thea. I’d like to try visualizer but doesn’t Wikipedia for sketchup 2016. [quote=“Cotty, post:53, topic:195”]
scene
[/quote]

what does this mean?

I use Visualizer with v16 on my mac and posted an number of threads explaining ‘how to’…

dir you search this forum?

john

Sorry, i’m writting From my cel, and it predict The words… I mean: visualizer it’s not available for sketchup 2016. By The way do You know how can i edit my post ?..

Ohhh where did You post about visualizer 2016!!!

there is a thread here and another on SketchUcation forum explaining how to get it working…

it needs a little bit of temporary folder renaming if you don’t have v15 as well as v16…

john

1 Like

If you are interested in a 1-click solution like Visualizer, you might want to check out AmbientOcclusion

I have tried out many of the renderes for Sketchup, but has been very disapointed about their lag of support of GPU-rendering. I have stucked with Twilight and Visualizer for simple outdoor renderings. I have many times flirted with V-Ray, but I never got under the skin of it, and often got unusable results.
When I had a rendering for a client that would take Twilight 14 days of constant rendering to get to 10 000 s/px, I had enough. I started looking for a new renderer that could utilize my Geforce GTX 980 GPU (which is a quiete powerfull GPU).
Then I read about Thea Render, and that it supports use of GPU and CPU rendering at the same time. I tried the trial, and after a few days of testing, i purchased it and have never looked back since that. I also purchased a GTX1080Ti GPU, and the rendering that before took 14 days, now takes 2 hours! And now I can make a lot of testrenderings along the road. It takes 45 secs. to have descent rendering. And here we talk about models with a LOT of grass, vegetation and water and a resolution of 2000x1500. Simpler models will probably be done with a blink of an eye. My warmest recomendations for Thea Rendere :smiley:

I am also thinking about upgrading from a 980 to a 1080 GPU. Have you test the difference between the two GPU?

I imagine the number of cores has a greater influence over the render speed than the core clock speed?

No, I have not tested the difference between GTX980 and the GTX1080Ti, and yes I am quite sure that the number of cores has greater influence on the speed. I upgraded both GPU and renderer at the same time, and then rendering time went from 14 days to 2 hours, but that is of course due to both new renderer and GPU (and most because of the new GPU-renderer).
I have read reviews/test of the 1080Ti where they concluded that the 1080Ti is 2,35 times faster that 980Ti. And if you have the ordinary 980, the difference is off course even bigger.
I did not buy the 1080Ti due to the speed, but because I often bottomed out the VRAM. If I was you, I would start by purchasing Thea first, and then see if you need more speed. When I consider upgrading, I will not upgrade if I only get 2xspeed. Cutting rendertime down from two hours to one hour does not make a great difference for me. I have to take a cup of coffee and do something else anyway. The same if you reduce from 2 minutes to one minute - you still have to do something else in the meantime. But that is off course just my opinion :slight_smile: I could have purchased an overclocked 1080Ti that would be 30% faster (at the same price), but I went for the more conservative (and hopefully more reliable) Founders edition.

try unicorn render too

yes i tested that. i will give you about 30-40% extra speed. both render speeds are affected by clockspeed and cores. the 1080 gives more speed in any render software that uses gpu rendering. the 1080ti even more. for price/performance the gtx 1070ti is quite interesting too. there are many charts and benchmarks also from nvidia showing. i tested with vray, twinmotion and unicorn render. all of them are happy with more cuda, resume: with the gpu you buy time and you will work more smoothly.

1 Like

Try Thea

1 Like

Take a look at Lumion, images render in about 10 seconds and its really easy to use

Hey everyone, my names Jordan and i’m part of the team that works on Bloom Unit.

Bloom Unit is a photo-realistic rendering package that has fully interactive local and cloud based rendering options. Here’s just a couple of bits of information about some of the things that Bloom Unit is able to do.

Some of the renderer’s out there can take 60 seconds or even up to 5 minutes to give you a decent 720p converged image, but with Bloom Unit you are able to get a high quality 720p converged image in around about 5 seconds, this is rendering off of a local GPU which could be even faster when using cloud resources. (Using Bloom Unit to create HD Movies at Unbelievable Speeds - YouTube) Here’s a short video showing the rendering speed in Bloom Unit.

The 5 seconds of render time aren’t just for when you’re saving out an image, it’s also for the render view-port. You can move your camera in SketchUp and then about 5 seconds later, you’ll have an updated view of your scene from the new perspective, or you could change a material in the scene, change anything at all and it’s just another 5 seconds, much faster than Vray. All in a photo-real level quality.

With Bloom Unit’s interactive rendering, you shouldn’t need to worry about a slow Sketchup scene slowing down your render view-port, Bloom Units view-port will almost always run a lot faster than sketchup.

Bloom Unit’s interactive rendering is it’s production render.

Bloom Units renderer is of a high enough quality that it produces true photo-real images, there isn’t a need for any post processing or photo editing on Bloom Unit renders.

Bloom Unit has built in options for VR rendering, you are able to render in both vertical and horizontal Stereo VR view-types straight from the Bloom Unit view-port much faster than any other rendering plug-in.

This is barely scratching the surface of what Bloom Unit can do.