Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Who are you? My name is Peter Romão.

What is your industry and profession? I am partner in a telecommunications solutions provider company.
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I use Sketchup professionally as a prototyping tool for product design. In the beginning before our Solidworks times we even went so far as to use SU for providing final models for the mould designers. I use sketchup in a lot of other ways as well. We have it used in production plant/line design and also as a tool to illustrate proposals and RFQs.
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Because it is simple and generic and fast. With its open ruby platform it gives a lot of room for customized tools and user oriented environment. My favorite thing about it is that it always goes: “wham, bam, pooof!” and I have my idea on screen in a matter of minutes.
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Well, I use SU since 1 year after it appeared in the market and I have been using it every week ever since. I think that is so many years that there surely are users onboard who are younger. I wager that I can spit churn out of SU whatever I want and imagine with some flair.

2 Likes

Hi, my name is James, I’m a retired technologist looking at building a robot for a hobby.

I’m hoping to use Sketchup to design my robot.

I’m a raw beginner with Sketchup and so I’ll have a lot of beginner questions.

I’m running Sketchup on Windows 7.

2 Likes

I moved a post to a new topic: FIRST Robotics

Hello, all. I’ve been here for a while but never seemed to have the time to make an entry here – 'til today.

I retired (early) from IBM in 1993 and since I had some equipment at hand, I opened a specialty construction business. That kept me active until the end of 2005. In the early years I spent a few months getting a commercial driver’s license, buying a BIG truck and doing some hauling for local businesses. I also upgraded my equipment and took on some bigger jobs. That was about 1998. From there until I retired (again) in 2005 things were – interesting. I won’t bore you with the details but the company gradually became a money sink which along with a weakening economy made it clear it was time to hang up my spurs.

So it should be clear that I’m not associated with any industry and use Sketchup only to support my innate curiosity and woodworking. Actually, I’ve been using DesignCAD (formerly Prodesign in the late '80s) so I’m not unfamiliar with the concepts involved. The 3D aspects in DesignCAD are somewhat lacking, however, so it has fallen out of favor around here. It is an excellent 2D tool, however.

I use Sketchup because its free and it does what it says it will do. Being a novice in the 3D world I can’t always make it do what I want it to but I’m learning.

I don’t have a 3DW page and don’t expect to ever have one. I’m 77 and have little time for frills.

Most of the things I build are for my shop which itself needs a lot of work.

I hope to check back here occasionally but I won’t be a regular. My computer activities are limited to email, Twitter, cash management and everything related to electric cars. I may never own one but I’m intensely interested in them and energy happenings in general. If you share that interest check out Robert LLewellen’s YouTube channel, Fully Charged.

2 Likes

Who are you? I’m Fábio Vasconcelos

What is your industry and profession? I’m a Sketchup amateur

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I use SketchUp personally

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Is just for fun and trying to make small maps for gaming.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? In the middle of beginner and intermediate xD

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) Sketchup Pro 2015 running on a Toshiba with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bits

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Unfortunately I don’t have :frowning:

2 Likes

Hi My name is Woodart, I’m 70 years old and have used Sketchup Make on a IMac for a number of years to design fine furniture projects for non- professional interest. I also make the products which I have designed.
I come from a design and manufacturing industry involved with electronic locking devises.
I’m based in Australia and have a workshop on my home premises.
I have used design packages like Solid Edge for professional design during my working life and now enjoy Sketchup as it is intuitive with many features that were more cumbersome to use with the other packages when I was using them.
I would class myself as an intermediate with Sketch and can always benefit from spending time with tutorials.

3 Likes

I moved a post to a new topic: Difference between SketchUp Pro and SketchUp Make

Hello my name is Thomas Banks

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Dimitris, student in Athens, Greece. I’m using Sketchup for 2 university projects. One is modeling the entire uni building and have some sensors send data to sketchup through a database and the second one is in agriculture sensors sending data to SU through a webservice and displaying that on the SU model. I’m somewhat of an intermediate level. I’m on w7 x64 and using sketchup 2014 make x86 for backwards compatibility.

3 Likes

•Who are you, who, who? Hi my name is Kristy.
•What is your industry and profession? I am a graphic designer/drafter for a boat dock company.
•Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I love the endless possibilities, I just have to learn some of the now.
•How proficient are you in SketchUp? intermediate
•What is your current set up? Windows 7 Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ .40GHZ

2 Likes

Who are you, who, who? My name is Frankie, short for Francoise
What is your industry and profession? I am a cashier at a large home improvement warehouse but I am hoping to break into the design business
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? personally, at home, to release my creative passions
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I love to design almost anything. I have innate urge to create things so SketchUp helps me to visualize them. Currently I am really into tiny houses so I am drawing a lot of components for tiny houses. I’m also obsessed with lamps for some reason.
How proficient are you in SketchUp? I don’t know what I don’t know but I think I am a Beginner. I see a lot of cool designs and have no clue how they were made.
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. Windows 7, sketchup 14
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Frankie Benka | 3D Warehouse
Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) I once accidentally drew a ufo in sketchup.
What is your favorite Emoji? :grimacing:
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? I miss the ocean. I lived in Seattle for 30 years. Now I am landlocked, not by choice. Well ok by choice but…that’s a whole other story.

2 Likes

Hey I am Victor, a woodworker trying out the pro version of sketchup pro 2015. still got a few learning curves to get through im very happy with it so far.

2 Likes

ALOHA from “Hawaii Ohana” Alex B ~ somewhere you know you’ll always be welcome ~
Who are you: Newton
What is your industry and profession? Community Theatre - I am the Technical Director
Where do you use SketchUp? Will hopefully be doing building drawings and set design work.
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Easy of use and 3D modeling
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Sub-Novice - last time I did something like this we had drawing tables, T-Squares, triangles and mechanical pencils…
What is your current set up? Computer type - Mac SketchUp version - SketchUp Pro201
Do you have a 3DW page with your models? What is a 3DW Page and is it like WD40?
Anything else you would like to tell us? not really, but you can ask…
What is your favorite Emoji? :scream:
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? …its the way we walk around the island…(jus kid din - who has time to walk on beaches when I’m trying to learn new stuff?)

2 Likes

Hello from Los Angeles. Happy to join the community and eager to learn more.

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites smiley ) - My name is Joel. I have worked in advertising for over 20 years and I’m transitioning into the design field. I earned my Masters in Interior Architecture last year and excited to enter that field.

What is your industry and profession? As mentioned above, transitioning into interior design/interior architecture.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I have used SketchUp academically in several of my studio classes. I have used SketchUp personally when redesigning my home. I have used SketchUp professionally on some residential and commercial projects.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…) I love seeing what an actual interior space will look like in 3D. It has helped me resolve potential design problems as I am able to work in the “space”.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? I would say I’m somewhere between intermediate and advance (but want to be advanced).

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) - I have SketchUp Pro 2015 on MAC (Yosemite) and I have SketchUp Pro 2015 on my Dell (Windows 8.1).

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Hopefully soon.

Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) Love design and architecture and really want top push myself on learning as much as I about SketchUp.

What is your favorite Emoji? :whale:

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Yes…

2 Likes

Hello Newton. Welcome. Sounds like SketchUp would be a great tool to imagine what a set will look like. Good luck.

2 Likes

Hello Frankie. Great job on the model. Good luck on your future endeavors.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,
I am an off and on user of ketchup over the last couple of years. I started off using the program for personal use when designing the layout for my house renovation and small construction projects. I have purchased the full version of the program for the first time (Sketchup Pro 15), and I want to begin to use it professionally.
During my previous use of ketchup, I never had to deal much in textures and I must admit I am a little timid in exploring this part of the program. I am already having a problem with a 3 story addition I am designing. I am using the horizontal siding material found in the brick and cladding dropdown. When I apply the material to different sides of the building, the horizontal siding changes to vertical siding.
Can I fix this easily, or did I screw up the process somewhere early on?

I really look forward to using the forum more to try and learn as much as I can about Sketchup. I look at the models that others create and am in awe sometimes of the possibilities of what I hope I can create someday.

Thanks

2 Likes

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites: My name is Bill, I am 79 and I have been trying to learn Sketchup for a number of years. For one reason or another I have lost the first version I tried and with moves and other things I keep getting the latest version. This time I am going to keep at it.
What is your industry and profession?: At this time I am FULLY retired, but I have had several different jobs; a Reciprocating Engine Mechanic (that’s a propeller driven aircraft), a small arms instructor (weapons), and an Avionics Technician. After discharge from the USAF I became a Sign Artist at Old Tucson Studios.
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?: I use it at home. I am a woodworker now and would like to use SketchUp to design and create plans for numerous projects.
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…): I really like the creative ability it represents and am very appreciative of the people that created this program. And the babe that I always need to appreciate my efforts is now passed on so the only one that needs to be impressed is myself.
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? I guess I would consider myself a Beginner considering I need to access others for knowledge on the subject.
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count): Does my Mini Cooper count? Oh well, My computer is a self-built with a Gigabyte MB, 8 core CPU, NVIDIA GeForce Experience 630 graphics card, a couple of 1 terrabyte HD’s one in, one out and all this inside a Fractal design case. I use this to run the 2015 version of SketchUp Make.
Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…): I don’t have to model one, I am the father of a son that looks to the sky for UFO’s with Dr. Greer (google him) and I have a pretty good idea how they look.
What is your favorite Emoji?: :heart_eyes:
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?: You bet, I grew up about two blocks from the beach in Long Beach, CA, on Linden Ave near the Rainbow Pier.

3 Likes

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites )
I’m Jayne and I live in Gozo

What is your industry and profession?
Industry: The Arts
Profession: A bit of a Jack of All Trades… but love to design, run a business with my husband providing artistic solutions

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Only just discovered Sketchup, playing around at the moment to find out what I can do with it, liking very much so far :smile:

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…)
More like impress my husband!!.. I have always hand drawn designs as never been taught any CAD, but always open to to self teaching and happy to still learn so now I want to learn Sketchup.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
Beginner

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)
Nope no models, just starting out. First project would like to model a sculpture proposal.

What is your favorite Emoji?
No favorite

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
Not in this heat :sunny:

2 Likes

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites )

What is your industry and profession? Chop05
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?im trying it out to see if I can use it for mesh files for my creations on Inworldz or Secondlife
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…)don’t know yet if it will be something I can use

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?beginner
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) win7 , free version
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?not yet
Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)

What is your favorite Emoji? ?
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?

2 Likes