Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hi Bill! Welcome to the forum – we’re glad you’re here. There’s a thread about drawing a rectangle here: So why can't I enter dimensions to create precise rectangle?

I’d also recommend starting with some of our YouTube videos to get you going: Getting Started with SketchUp - Part 1 - YouTube

1 Like

Hi ! am Don Paul … Beletsky (don’t try to remember my last name, just use Don Paul) a.k.a Radagast (in many forums, etc.),

What is your industry and profession? ** I am a retired software developer (having worked for Symantec, Candle, SKK, etc.), **

Where do you use SketchUp? personally/professionally? ** Here, at home. My father was an architect and I have been dreaming about my dream house for decades. I never was able to even purchase land for it, but about 10 years ago I was able to buy 20 acres in Navajo county, AZ. I have been downsizing my dream house for years. I currently live in a 12’x12’ cabin (shack?) that I built myself, but I hope to expand it as finances permit. Ha, ha! **

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…) ** I have started by using it to design a DVD/Storage unit (DVD’s above storage bins, to place at the end of my bed). I have used Broderbund 3D Home Architect (better for interior design) and Punch Home Design (AS 3000 - better for exteriors, especially roofs!) for years to make my dream house plans, but I was always frustrated that they wouldn’t let me amke things my way. I believe SketchUp will finally give me the control I wanted (at least once I get familiarized with it). **

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? ** I am new to SketchUp, but as I mentioned above, I have used other design software. I hope to be at least proficient in a few months. **

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? ** I haven’t even heard of it! However, if it is a physical place, I am on a very limited (Social Security) budget that does not allow for travelling. **

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.582 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) ** I am running SketchUp 2017 Make (64-bit) on an Azulle Byte Plus micro-PC (about 4 inches square & an inch-and-a-half tall! - but I’m plugged into a 32" HDTV!), with Windows 10 Home (64-bit). **

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? ** Not likely anytime soon! **

Anything else you would like to tell us? ** I am so glad that there is such an active & helpful community for SketchUp. I have always found forums to be the best form of support for a software product. I downloaded SketchUp after seeing a video on YouTube about designing a Tiny House. I think I learned more from his mistakes than from an expert tutorial, but I am extremely grateful for his introduction & inspiration! **

What is your favorite Emoji? ** I don’t use too many, just an occasional emoticon face in a text message. **

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? ** Not too many beaches here in Arizona, but in when I live in Culver City, CA, I seldom went to the beach. I’m more of a long-nights-in-front-of-the-computer type of guy (smile!). **

1 Like

Howdy, long time Make user. Just switched from Mac to MS Surface Pro to take advantage of on-the-go tablet/laptop capabilities. Must admit I’m grieving the loss of my apple and the ease of it’s use as a non computer kind of guy. Already dealing with glitchy Windows when instead wish I could be drawing up plans for furniture and other design/build projects- this being the major reason I’ve joined the forum at this time. Another reason, of course, is to get ongoing SU assistance. Thanks in advance to all of you who reach out to offer help and guidance. Last but not least, I’m looking forward to being a part of this community. Cheers!

1 Like

- Who are you, who, who?
I am Hai
- What is your industry and profession?
I’m an architecture student and a plugin developer
- Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
I use SketchUp Personnally
- Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
I use SketchUp because it’s fun, it’s easy to learn and use
- How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
I like to think advanced…
- What is your current set up?
I use Windows 10, Sketchup 17 on Thinkpad P50- i7 6820HQ - M2000M.
What is your favorite Emoji?
:stuck_out_tongue:
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?

1 Like

hi everyone !!
I’m Jim , a 30 year old website developer.
It’s been about 5 years since i became a computer engineer and now i’m actually working as a webmaster on my website [Feetunique]
Actually i found a lot of websites like this one but i think this forum was really interesting.
looking forward to talk with everyone here!!
Many thanks
Jim

1 Like

Hi,
I’m Jan. I’m a basic personal SketchUp user.
I like it because is easy and intuitive user.
It helps me get ideas across to people who cant easily visualize what I mean.
I mainly use it to design buildings.
My next task is to look at the redevelopment of a light house precinct in southern Australia.
Its all about the views and maintaining the character of the site.

1 Like

Hi, I am SPercy.

I am a civil engineer but don’t do draftees job at work. I use SU a lot for my personal projects. I like SU’s ability to bring out and present what’s in the brain without much effort at no cost. I don’t consider myself an expert in SU. SU 3DBasecamp? I don’t know what that is. I’m running SU Pro 2017 64bit on Asus i7 desktop, Windows 10 OS, Nvidia Quadro K1200 graphics, 16GRAM. I haven’t uploaded any models on the web. I’m in the process of constructing a site for my little business though. Let you know when I go live.

That’s it. :sunglasses:no stress.

1 Like

Hi Don! Thanks for introducing yourself and welcome! Your home project sounds super cool – keep us posted as you progress on any future projects.

1 Like

WIN_20170502_09_48_17_Pro

My name is Scott Woodruff

I am an architect working for FFKR Architects located in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been using sketchup for 10 years now and use it as a major part of the design work I am involved in at my office. I use sketchup at home but only minimally.

Sketchup is great because i feel it is intuitive in the way it functions.

I have never attended the sketchup basecamp but would be interested in attending

I use the latest version of sketchup and currently have Sketchup Pro 2017 installed on work computer

I do not have a 3d warehouse page as the models i create are the property of the company i work for and owners we design for

1 Like

Hello, I am a musician with a small vocal/instrumental ensemble and also a property developer in a very small village in the Canadian Rockies: Edgewater, B.C.
I have used Sketchup to visualize a StageHouse residence that would offer opportunities to local and visiting classically-trained artists mostly in this gorgeous recreational-agricultural area.

I would say I have intermediate skills with Sketchup and use it to show my ideas to potential entrepreneur-builders.

At the moment I am concerned with the dispensation of the last of the old Sawmill Shops and Office on the last Commercial space left in town. I have made 3-D models of the buildings from photos and measurements to present to a small party of local activists. This work is now inaccessible as my demo licence expired. I have tried to run Sketchup Make to access the model and always get the warning that my demo license has expired, even tho Sketchup Make requires no licence

At some point I will be getting Sketchup Pro again, I have had it in the past but the old versions are gone off my hard drive and the new version files won’t work on the old applications

For the time being, and before Thursday, does anybody know how to get Sketchup Make to work?

1 Like

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. To resolve your issue : you probably downloaded the Pro version.
Try Uninstalling it and download the Make version from this page :

Then, right-click on the installation file and choose ‘run as administrator’
If this does not resolve your issue, post a new topic.

Hi Scott! Thanks for joining the forum and welcome.

1 Like

My name is Andy Mills. I am a 71 year old Retiree after a LONG career as a Sheriff’s Deputy, Firefighter, and Paramedic and spent most of these endeavors performing as a volunteer. My main careers for supporting my family were Mechanical Engineering Designer, Safety Engineer, and IT Database development and management. As you see, I am a Jack of MOST trades - Master of None. I have been retired eight years. While I am familiar with CAD, I am now trying to master Sketchup and the Python Coding Language.

1 Like

Hi there, I am newbie here. Hope a long stay with you all.

1 Like

It seems that finding one’s way to the actual text entry box on here must be the intelligence test before getting help. I was disappointed to find the layout, contrast, and design of this forum doesn’t match up to the much-better-design of the SketchUp/MakeUp GUI (but then again, I’ve just started with SU2017…).

I am RC Jim, older than most, was an art education major (years ago), and got SU because I wanted to ‘modelize’ (as another poster called it) some of my surroundings where I live. This would be so I could try out different arrangements for my furnishings, belongings, computers, electronics/TV, etc. I thought also that I might use SU for possible ‘woodworking’ projects (aka, build-your-own desk accessories (of the analog kind…). I have worked as an elementary art teacher, a professional photographer (small studio - portrait/weddings/some commercia/legall work), microcomputer sales, amateur musician (acoustic guitar in a trio), and a dozen or more jobs.

Oh yeah, Apple and Mac user from a ways back.

Hoping to get past the initial learning curve in the forum here, and come to be more proficient for using SU in my personal needs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Q: Can anyone advise if there is a good way to isolate an entire floor of a multi-story building model AFTER it was built into the whole?

I am Rusty, a self taught user that didn’t start learning SketchUp by following the tutorials, just jumped in and discovered new stuff by falling into it.
I’ve gotten to the point I can build a pretty detailed model which I use as examples when talking to clients about the buildings I am bidding on.
I have created a model for an 800,000-sf distribution center with a 3-story interior office.

Now I want to be able to show the client the each floor of the office separate from the rest. I didn’t “group” all the parts of each floor together a one group per floor or in some way make it a single piece that would allow me to copy it or move it in the model separate from the rest.
Q: Can anyone advise if there is a good way to isolate an entire floor of a model AFTER it was built into the whole?

I am about to copy the file and deconstruct the model floor by floor down to the first floor if I need to but wanted to check to see if there was a better way than that.

Then I still need to somehow group the first floor once its uncovered, so I need some guidance to the correct tutorial or ? that will help me accomplish that I would appreciate it?

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Rusty! Welcome to the forum. Please post your question as a new topic and someone should be able to help you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, Caroline!

Where do I post a new question?

1 Like

No problem. Go to the homepage of the forum and click “New Topic” over on the top right side of the page. Title your post according to your issue and try to be as specific as possible when asking your question. Also feel free to upload your SketchUp file as it might be useful to anyone who’s trying to help.

1 Like

got it thanks!

1 Like