Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hello, my name is Todd Stringer.

I am an architectural designer (commercial and residential) working in Albuquerque, at an intermediate level in Sketchup, and went to my first Basecamp this past summer. I use Sketchup for all my schematics and presentations. Look forward to learning and sharing with everyone!

1 Like

Hi. I’m an old tech head who loves graphics - we’re doing a renovation and our Architect uses Sketchup. We used it to discuss and develop the design ideas either collaboratively around a screen or across Dropbox. Somewhere in the process I wanted to get to a level of detail beyond that which he needed to go for our job and it has sort of gone from there. Starting to get to the point where I reckon something can be done but can’t quite figure out how to do it - generally get there but always looking for clues on forums and tutorials so hoping this forum gives another place to both help and to learn.

1 Like

Dzień dobry :slight_smile:,
nazywam się Danuta, mieszkam w Polsce i jestem na emeryturze. Zainteresowałam się modelowaniem sześć lat temu i bardzo spodobał mi się darmowy program SketchUp mimo, że nie znam języka angielskiego (polska wersja jeszcze wtedy nie istniała), metodą prób i błędów udało mi się stworzyć mój pierwszy model. Byłam z siebie bardzo dumna :slight_smile:. Był to wiadukt w moim rodzinnym mieście i ten model został umieszczony w warstwie Google Earth ! Bardzo lubię też tworzyć modele naczyń, na których stosuję teksturę własnego projektu. Uwielbiam SketchUp i jestem wdzięczna twórcom tego wyśmienitego programu ! Miło spędzam czas w tym programie i cieszę się gdy moje modele znajdują uznanie w oczach innych użytkowników :slight_smile:. A tu można obejrzeć moje modele danuta | 3D Warehouse.
Pozdrawiam serdecznie wszystkich użytkowników i liczę na pomoc, gdy zajdzie taka potrzeba. Wydaje mi się, że jestem na średnim etapie umiejętności i jeszcze wiele przede mną ciekawych wyzwań :slight_smile:
Mam daleko do morza ale gdy tam jestem, uwielbiam spacery!

2 Likes

Hey, Terry here…
I am an Architect, in Central California
I use sketchup both at home , and here at work
I would say Im a lower level advanced user, always learning more. Have been using sketchup since the old days when you guys were stationed out of boulder colorado
Have been to base camp once
Windows Desktop, Using sketchup 7, 15 and 16

1 Like

Thanks for having me, my fellow sketchers. Here goes:

1. My name is Adam Reed. I’m a recently retired Army Veteran looking to find a way to start a SketchUp design business.

2. I want to focus on home remodels, additions and new construction models. Not necessarily the construction side of the industry but more on the presentation of the finished project.

3. I used to use it for personal woodworking projects but that went to the wayside and I am concentrating totally on residential on commercial buildings.

4. Why do I use SketchUp? I think that question answers itself. No explanation needed.

5. Honestly, I didn’t know about basecamps until recently and recently my wallet won’t let me.

6. I use SketchUp Make on a MacBook Pro.

7. Someday I will have a 3D warehouse and it will be full with things of grandeur.

8. SketchUp is like life; Because in life you have to draw the line that shapes who you are. Then every once in awhile you have to push or pull that line so it can truly measure up to what you want in life.

9. A sign I designed using SketchUp and built for our local hardware store.

3 Likes

I am a furniture designer and also a University lecturer
For the moment I am learning to use SketchUp and for personal use.
Find that SketchUp is a user friendly 2D and 3D application
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
I am working from my Lenovo G470 notebook
I have no 3D Warehouse page with my models, E
What is your favorite Emoji? Have not decided on one yet
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Just spend 4 days on an island resort … wish to move there someday

1 Like

I do not have any experience with drafting s/w and stumbled onto SU when I was looking to do some remodeling at home. I have to confess my first interaction ended badly and I resorted to a paper & pencil to complete that project. I have since kept coming back to SU and have now decided to make effort to master at least the basics. Look forward to being part of what looks to be a friendly community.

1 Like

Hi, I’m using SketchUp Make to help with my hobby projects that I do occasionally in my garage.
I tried using FreeCAD before, but it turned out to be too complicated for my needs. I really like the balance of SketchUp’s simplicity and power. I also love the Extension support (especially being a programmer). I consider myself an intermediate user (having some previous experience in other 3D modelling software).
Running SketchUp Make on MacBook Air (13").
What I have not been able to find in the app is ability to constraint degrees of freedom of components (e.g. so can attach one component to another and let them move within constrains, such as rotation of a part within a hole of another). Perhaps that’s getting too complicated though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there everyone, looking forward to using Sketch-Up

1 Like

One of the best similies I’ve ever heard :blush:. Thanks for sharing, @areed

1 Like

Hello, all. Just joined the community as I am new to Sketchup and would love to get into learning how to use this software. I haven’t had much training in the way of anything CAD-related since I took an Architecture elective in high school (we used AutoCAD). I got Sketchup because I like to meticulously plan my little projects and it looked like a great tool. Thanks for the welcome!

1 Like

I am the technology coordinator for an elementary school in Arlington Va. I do what I can to help teachers integrate STEM/STEAM activities into all content areas. The after school I work with interested 4th and 5th grade students on coding, 3D printing, and we will try to get some robotics going this year. We have been using tinkercad.com with a few accounts and I supervise them when they are on that site. I would like ot install Sketchup on our student computers and let them go at some flat up 3D design. We have on Lulzbot mini and we keep it pretty busy.

I am a beginner with SketchUp and while I am usually a fast learner I have been stalled a few times. :tongue:

I enjoy photography and one of my mid range plans is to convert a Google Cardboard holder for 360 degree photos into a 3D printable holder for smart phones so that we can take virtual tours of any where that we make a 360 degree image.

1 Like

Hi I’m Regularguy. I’ve got a number of simple office furniture models in the warehouse. I sell Office Furniture and do limited spaceplanning for clients.

I’ve got Sketchup Make on three computers, two laptops , one desktop. All windows. Fairly adept, but not as much as I would like. also fairly computer adept, but no expert.

All of a suddent the desktop will only print in like xray mode. I’m sure, I’ve clicked something. It shows correctly on screen, but immediately goes to xray for printing . I can use the snip tool to capture the images, but its a pain, I prefer to print to a .pdf file. Any ideas?

1 Like

Greetings all,
My name is Wylie from Florida and I am a woodworking hobbyist. I was introduced to SketchUp through that community. My plan is to use the tool to design and make projects for the house and garden for myself and my family.

Looking forward to learning from all the experts here.
Thanks
Wcoyote

1 Like

Hi Sketchupers!

My name is Rich Taylor, and I have strange need to learn more about Sketchup, but insufficient time to do so. I will continue to learn as I go, and will absolutely make use of the great opportunities on this site!

1 Like

Hello, my name is Tom and I am using SU-P for small contracting business (Custom glass) and for personal home design. I’ve been addicted to SU for a few months now - I think I have the basics mastered. I’m hoping to improve interior design knowledge - have not been to base camp ( Not sure hat it is)

1 Like

Hola, soy Ricardo, estoy incursionando en el dibujo en 3D con este programa, que me atrajo por lo fácil y rápido de aprender. Soy policía y trabajo en el área de pericias en la parte de Planimetría. Hasta el momento el grueso de nuestro trabajo es en 2D, y algunos pocos trabajos en animación, para trabajar escenas de crimen. La información general en la Web es escasa sobre el uso de esta tecnología en escenas de crimen, por eso quiero promover el uso de este programa para ese fin. Mi duda pasa por si se pueden usar los diseños realizados con Sketchup como base y luego “añadir” animaciones con figuras humanas modeladas o de biblioteca, con movimientos que pueda definir yo, por ejemplo un hombre caminando por un ambiente diseñado en Sketchup, esgrimiendo un arma de fuego y efectuando un disparo a otra figura humana. Existia un programa de nombre Antics 3D o algo así, que trabajaba con Sketchup, pero ya no está disponible para descargar de la web. Necesito que me asesoren sobre que programas pueden cubrir esa necesidad. Buena jornada !.

1 Like

Hi I am a teacher in NSW, Mid north coast, Australia.
This is the 1st time I have joined a sketchup forum or community.
My background is in carpentry and automotive.
I am teaching Industrial Arts in high school.

Regards - Neale A

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? BT Thomas, Greenville, SC, USA

What is your industry and profession? Small business solutioneer and efficiency consultant
Where do you use SketchUp? Professionally. Hired to design custom rooms for a cabinetry shop, they showed me DC, and I ran with it, obviating the position they hired me for. Also use it to plan and brainstorm house remodels on the side
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?) Parametric modeling for design, presentation, & production. Love the open source nature of so many third party contributors. Time to give back where I’ve been helped
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Advanced, but specialized. Haven’t messed with Ruby or very many extensions
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Nope, what’s that?
What is your current set up? '16 Pro, Self-built desktop when working from home with a 4k 46" TV and 2 26" apple cinema monitors, New Microsoft SurfaceBook laptop that I’m finally acclimated to and loving
Do you have a 3D Warehouse page? Not yet, will have some models once my clients are ready to share with the community
Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) I did actually see something once- 3AM once night, low- to mid-level cloud cover, and a section of the clouds a ways away faded in green light, then something green emerged and presumably hit the ground. If it was at terminal velocity, it was a ways off because I could track it for the brief moment it was in view. I’m a skeptic of such things and could find no alternate explanation. I guess if it were me, I’d pick a cloudy night when 98% of people are asleep, too.
What is your favorite Emoji? I’m not seeing it here, but I like the celebrating emoji. :tada::tophat::confetti_ball: I like to party, so I like my emoji to party
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Only on islands. I hate backtracking.

2 Likes

Hey All, My name is Esteban.

I work in the entertainment industry, mostly theatrical (ballet,opera,broadway)

I use Sketchup personally and professionally. I work as a production carpenter primarily with the American Ballet Theater and use sketchup for all sorts of projects.

From designing new scenery or drawing existing scenic elements and updating them and/or discovering how well they fit in a 3D shipping container when we tour overseas. Learned a long time ago that sketchup can save me time and heartache when i know how exactly our shows pack into a sea container or trailer.

My favorite thing about Sketchup is its simplicity and power. I can’t get enough of it.

I am an intermediate

No, I have not gone to 3D base camp but i love watching the youtube clips on it every year. Great outcome and so much talent.

I have a mac book pro and 24" HD monitor and run Sketchup Pro

I don’t have a 3D warehouse link to my projects but i would love to share and create one. I may do that when i get home tonight!

My favorite emoji is :grimacing:

I enjoy sitting in one spot on the beach for long periods of time as suppose to walking (i do enough walking at work!)

Uploading…

1 Like