Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hi, my name is Mike. I downloaded SketchUp after browsing around Google Earth and seeing all these 3D images people manage to make, and I thought I’d try it out.

I’m a beginner. I have virtually no design experience and no artistic ability. But that’s okay.

So far I’ve spent many hours trying to bring a certain bridge I used to visit in my childhood days to life with SketchUp, and it’s a challenge.

Well that’s about it for me.

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? I am Alan

What is your industry and profession? Motorcycle Sales, Internet Sales Manager
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Personally to design woodworking projects
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…) Ease of use and scaling

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Intermediate
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? no
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. On this machine it’s a Surface Pro 4 with Sketchup 2016 Make
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? not yet
Anything else you would like to tell us? I am currently modeling a compact camper with Sketchup that I will build to pull behind my Subaru Forester for short camping trips with my kids.

What is your favorite Emoji? The little devil guy… hehe
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? No, I’m fair skinned and burn easily… lol

1 Like

Brand new to the community. I downloaded Sketchup a few years ago and did nothing with it. Now I am much more motivated and actually making progress in this hobby. I have made enough progress where I actually feel empowered to continue. I currently am dabbling in Torque 3D and making objects for maps is my main priority. I have successfully designed a couple of bridges with
collision meshes that work in game, I am psyched!

I am a fairly quiet person and my hobby is my life right now. Very grateful to all the selfless people
who have given so generously in this endeavor and I hope to return the favor in kind.

1 Like

[quote=“SketchUpCommunityManager, post:1, topic:6944”]
Who are you? Retired mechanical designer
What is your industry and profession? Retired
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally - getting a 3d printer
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? modeling components for radio antennas - ham radio

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner for sure. Used Solidworks at Hartness international
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? NO
What is your current set up? HP desktop 64-bit running windows 10

1 Like

Hi, I an old Generic Cadd guy who is new to Sketchup…I only dabble in drawings I’m in the Louisville KY area, have worked in many fields with the latest in CNG compression and fleet fueling

1 Like

hello… I am a student using sketchup in an effort to IMPROVE OUR SCHOOL…Hmmmmm… handy if you have absolutely NO idea how to insert doors so that you can get inside you building… also… my computer does not allow me to access vimeo so I cannot watch the tutorials…
thanx 4 any advice u can offer! ALSO… when u insert a component… how can I edit it so that it fits the space I am working around???

THANX AGAIN!

KR

1 Like

I just read one of your comments where you said that you were 74 and working with sketchup to avoid Alzheimers. I felt you might find it interesting that you aren’t alone. I am 73 and working with sketchup for the same reason.

1 Like

Ditto!!! LOL! :wink:

1 Like

Hi,

I am Eima, I am graduated in architecture. I use Sketchup since 2012. I have the old Sketchup 8 pro version and I am considering to upgrade… as soon as possible.

I use sketchup for prototyping and make 3D rendering.
I have a good knowledge of Sketchup, not maybe not yet an advanced user.

I love Sketchup which really changed my way drawing and considering CAD Software. I am quite able to do anything I want now, without limits and frustrations. Also if I am still a bit slow, there is nothing that cannot be done with Sketchup, and I love this freedom at work. You can see some of my drawings on my website.

1 Like

Hi,
I live in the south of France. I have used Visio for years and thought I would try this, I keep persevering and admit that for design of objects it would seem to be far superior, for for kitchen layouts and design so far not as good…but as I am very new to it, it is probably my lack of skill rather than the program…well I hope so!

1 Like

I am sacwak1 and I use SketchUp in a personal capacity.
I can’t remember when I first started using SketchUp but I use it in much the same way as ‘@AlexB’.
My proficiency would be ‘Intermediate’ and I’m using a Win 7 Ultimate with SketchUp Make.
I don’t have a 3DW page as I don’t class myself good enough to show off what I do.

1 Like

Hello!

Ok, let´s go!

Who are you?

My name is Andreas and i am from Cologne / Germany.

What is your industry and profession and where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?

I work at one of the biggest shopfitting companies in Germany. Here at Korte Einrichtungen GmbH I am responsible for our 3D visualization we do for our customers. I use SketchUp since 6 years, and since 1 year I use it in combination with Thea Render just because the workflow and the integration of Thea into SketchUp is optimal and rendertimes are very very good. Additionally to the 40-50 shops I design / model / render in a year, I instruct new co-workers in SketchUp / Thea Render and Photoshop.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?

I use SketchUp to design / model / render shops with it - mostly bakeries Cafes and Delis. I use SketchUp because it is for me the best choice for getting fast results and develop ideas, SketchUp is just so uncomplicated :slight_smile: Even if it has it´s issues (the memory leak bug, crashes sometimes, freezes sometimes for “no reason”).

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?

You could say, that I am a very expierienced professional.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?

Nope.

What is your current set up?

At the moment I use Windows 10 on a Intel i7 4970K CPU, 16Gbyte RAM, GTX 980, 2x 24" Screens, Logitech Mouse and a mechanical Cherry keyboard (other keyboards die after 6 Months haha)

Cheers!

1 Like

Who are you, who, who?
Hello, I’m Ian

What is your industry and profession?
Illustration, Graphics, Carpentry, Forestry

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Lots of wooden stuff but generally speaking I design, model, illustrate and make various things using Sketchup, from Compost Toilets, shower blocks, sheds and other structures like bespoke yurts, construction guides, landscape garden designs, …

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
I use Sketchup because other programs weren’t free back when I started (or nowhere near as good). Like most people who use it professionally, it allows you to see something in 3D before it exists in reality. That’s useful :slight_smile:

How proficient are you in SketchUp?
I guess that because I’ve been using it regularly since 2007, I must be somewhere in the ‘okay’ part of the spectrum of ‘Novice to All Mighty’

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
Nope, can’t afford it

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.
PC self-build i7, GTX970, 16gb ram have 32 but win 7 home premium only sees 16, win 7 is stable compared to win 10, :cry:

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
www.ianrothwell.co.uk

Anything else you would like to tell us?
I once saw a Moonbow over the sea … yes, like a rainbow, but it was created at night by the full moon

What is your favorite Emoji? :slight_smile:

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
Yes, but not 15km long ones wearing 4 season mountaineering boots and carrying 25kg of stuff on my back, and a guitar that flaps about in the wind, pushing you around in the already soft sand!

1 Like

Hi all, I’m an Italian Architect and I use Sketchup for my profession…I use SKup because it’s a very simple system to create architectural models. I’m an intermediate user but I would like to improuve my skills…I use a Windows 7 system!:wink:

1 Like

Hi, I’m Dave, owner of Fine Line Joinery, a cabinet shop in Grass Valley, CA. I am using SU 2016 Pro (trial), I am hoping to be able to set SU up to handle all of my design and shop drawings, and to export info to create cutlists. Beginning/intermediate user. Started with SU8 Pro a few years ago and messed around a lot with the dynamic components before going another direction, software-wise. Now I’m back to try again. My favorite thing about SU is the power of dynamic components, especially considering the price!

Running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Ideapad, Intel Core i7-4700MQ 2.4 GHz 8GB Dual NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M display adapters.

Grew up near the beach in So Cal, but have since traded that in for the Sierra Nevada mountains of Northern CA. Love them both!

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? John Hulen
What is your industry and profession? Engineer
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Started a new company and I am using Sketchup professionally, but I am new to Sketchup.
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I need to design a complex valve for a new engine. I like how easy it is to get started, and how much information is available on the Web.
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Beginner
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? no
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.359 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) Mac Air. OS X, Scetchup Pro 2016
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? no
Anything else you would like to tell us? I am building a hydrogen Enginine
What is your favorite Emoji? none
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Very much so

1 Like

Hello,

My name is Baha Abunojaim, CTO and co-founder of Mixed Dimensions, the developers of MakePrintable which fixes and prepares your Sketchup designs or 3D files for 3D printing automatically and without manual work as it handles all common issues like non-manifold,holes, intersecting objects and wall thickness (guess what! we also have a Sketchup extension for it which you can find here).

I work in 3D printing and my job is to build the best technology that can bridge between your 3D file and making it a physical object automatically, I write algorithms day and night in order to make 3D printing fast, easy and robust.

I’m looking forward to be part of this community and get to know you more.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone!

My name is Reem. I am a Community Manager at MakePrintable. I am currently a beginner user of SketchUp. I am really looking forward to learn from everyone on this forum. I can see there is a lot to learn.
Specifically I am looking to design models on SketchUp for the purpose of 3D printing.

2 Likes

Michael Makdah
My professions is a Spartan, just kidding I am a Marketer, who works in the 3D printing, and Gaming realm.

I love Sketchup its super useful and easy to use.
I use it to design things to 3D print; my latest print was a go pro mount for my car.
I am still new to SU, and at the beginner level.
I use it on Macbook pro.
I still don’t have a page!
I’m a very smiley person so my emoji would be one that smiles.
I usually prefer long jogs on the beach or diving deep in the sea.

1 Like

HI Box,

Actually there is 3 unique users “no false identities” each one of us made it clear with his\her identity but I totally understand your point, I guess one intro was enough but never the less, it wasn’t part of our intention to spam. We don’t plan to spam, we plan to be part of the community since we are contributing to it and I hope the community will embrace this and I’m happy to meet you, I actually saw some of your replies on 3D printing.

1 Like