Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Thanks for that advice @sjdorst! … I see, so perhaps what is going on is that, even though I drew my shape with the rectangle tool (instead of a individual lines), SketchUp will view my rectangle as individual lines until I add them to a group? Is that right?

Thanks also for explaining about 3DWarehouse. It seems like a way to organize libraries of components. Very cool.

I look forward to checking out basecamp as well!

CodeSlayer

1 Like

Hey Walter, Go to the relevant forums here

1 Like

This thread is an introduction thread. Please answer anyone’s questions by using the Reply as linked topic option.

Don’t fill this thread with questions and answers.

2 Likes

•Who are you, who, who? Hello, my name is Melissa, I am using my husband Scott’s account
•What is your industry and profession? Physician
•Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Personally
•Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I have not used SketchUp yet but would like to.
•How proficient are you in SketchUp? Absolute beginner
•Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No
•What is your current set up? Not sure
•Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? No
•Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) My husband is finishing our basement. Basically I was hoping to use SketchUp to model a wall with some cabinets and shelves so that we can pick the best design for us. Next I’m going to peruse the Categories to find out how to do this

1 Like

Hi, my name is Sara-Anne Polit and I live in Pleasanton, Texas, 40 or so miles south of San Antonio.

1 Like

Hi, Will from Dublin, Ireland. Just learning Sketchup make.

Main interest is for engineering drawings for metalwork and also simple 3d printing

1 Like

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Beginner
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.244 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) Mac, SketchUp Make 2015
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? No
Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) I’m learning how to use SketchUp so I can do Garden Designs on it! that’s my back ground
What is your favorite Emoji?
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Yes who doesn’t!

1 Like

Who am I? Just call me Sky
Industry and profession? A bit of almost all and no pro of anything. I produce the food people eat. I paint the pictures on their walls. I design and build the houses we live in.
Where do I use SketchUp? Personally. This is a rural farm. Town is far, far away. I do my best to make a living and SketchUp 8 pro (free) helps me do that. Farmers don’t get salaries. We get paid if and when we have a product to sell. Nothing happens here “professionally”. Farming is not a “job”. It’s a way of life. We survive.
Why SketchUp? User-friendly - for me anyway. CAD is complicated and some others just don’t have what I need. SketchUp 8 has all I need.
Proficiency? Uhm. I get done what must be done much faster than it takes me to do drawings by hand. I don’t make money out of it, just saves me time and money. Helps me think and plan and helps me sort out problems before they arrive. If I can spot it before the time.
SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No.
Current set-up? one Linux machine - it has a program I like. Useless for SketchUp.
one very old laptop (misbehaving - but it has SketchUp!) being replaced (due to old-age) by this piece of useless plastic: A brand new laptop which runs an unfamiliar version of windows that won’t allow me to download SketchUp unto it.
3DW page with my models? No.
Anything else? Umn, I don’t like “new” anything, unless it’s comfortable. “New” rarely is.
Emoji: Depends on my mood.
Walks on the beach? No beach.

1 Like

Hello,

My name is Mike. I am a construction engineer currently working in the oilfields in Alaska. I use sketchup in my personal life to visualize projects I want to attempt to build. I have been playing with the program for several years in many different areas of interest. I have gotten pretty good at 2D and 3D floor plans. Because of where I live, I do some buildign with logs. I have always been stumped on how to build a log building or log frame buiding in sketchup, so I thought I would come here and get some ideas on how to work 3D shapes.

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites :smiley: ) Phil
What is your industry and profession? Timber Framer and Log Cabin Builder
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Professionally, i hope
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…) I heard it was user friendly
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Beginning to begin
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? not yet
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.253 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) mac, sketchup pro 2016
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? nope
Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) looks like fun ?
What is your favorite Emoji? smily face, of course
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? no, long walks in the mountains, preferably on snow
Let’s get this party started! Woot! :tada: sick bird

1 Like

Who are you, who, who?
Am over 60, living in Europe and loving antique toys (end of 19th begin 20th century. As an engineer I am personally interested in the design and production of these toys.

What is your industry and profession? Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
Sketchup that I use non-professionally is a great tool that allows to model our environment. In my case, it helps me understanding the work conditions and environment where the toys have been created. For that purpose I quite intensively use Photo Match with ancient photographs of the production sites.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
Never had the chance to go to a 3DBasecamp. I think of myself as an experienced user of SketchUp, but am eqger to learn much more…

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.
I use SketchUp 2016 64 bits on different Win-based computers (laptops and mini-tower) with a 3Dconnexion mouse…

1 Like

Hi all:

I’m Jim and have been using sketchup for some years now.

Continue to be amazed by the way I can communicate (to myself) and others with it.

Not sure if this is how to get started in the 'introduce yourself thread?

Try this intro post here?

thanks,

Jim

1 Like

Hi

Name is Jeff, from Nova Scotia Canada. I’m a complete noob to the whole 3d space. 2d in fact too. I have zero artistic ability. We’re redoing my son’s bedroom with a loft sort of arrangement and I know having a 3d model is going to help my wife, myself and her parents agree and disagree on how we go about building it :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Hello. I’m Peter and I’ve been using SketchUp for about two years. I mostly use it to make machines and things for my 3D Printer. I’m Canadian, I call my work space my “Lab” and my preferred method of working is to hook up my computer to a 55 inch TV and use a wireless trackball mouse and keyboard.

1 Like

Oi amigos, saudações.
Me chamo Amando Jose e moro em Palmas - Tocantins, Brasil.
Trabalho na Construção civil e com madeira e uso muito o Sketchup para meus projetos.
Obrigado pela atenção em me aceitar nessa comunidade.
Um grande abraço,

Amando Jose

1 Like

Hi !
I’m a freelance consultant on best strategies to improve the built environment: zero energy, zero pollutant & zero impact buildings .
Working longtime with energy simulation software (TRNSYS and now OpenStudio) I would like to use the SketchUp software for my BIM analyses!

1 Like

Hi,
I’m a retired Architect, I hate 2D CAD it’s so impersonal, but now have some time to explore the possibilities of 3D modelling.
Just started with SketchUp and looking forward to the results.
I have signed up seeking help with the basics (somehow the tutorials sometimes just aren’t quite there!)
Hope to meet up with some of you on this forum in the coming months and, if all goes well, the coming years.

1 Like

I’m new to Sketchup and use it to model houses for my job as a HERS rater. I’ve watched many videos but there are some things my commands won’t do and I need to find out how to fix these problems. This is my first forum/chat experience and I’m hoping I’ll come up to speed fast on how it works.

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? Hi there, my name is Ronald, I live somewhere in the far far south of the Netherlands (yes…the Netherlands has indeed a south!;-))
What is your industry and profession? I’m a professional Software Engineer, Webdesigner and Consultant
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I use SketchUp to design my furniture that I make in my spare time.
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…) Easy to understand and draw quick handy designs that I use for woodworking.
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? I don’t dare to call myself anything else the Beginner…
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Uh, what? Camp? Is that one of those things you have to become physical? :wink:
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.272 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) Macbook Pro and iPad Pro with Pencil. SketchUp latest version.
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Nah
Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) Well if you guys have a free Saturday, why not make a SketchUp version for the iPad Pro where you can design with the Pencil. Kidding about that Saturday btw, as I software engineer I know those kind of things are done on a Sunday afternoon…
What is your favorite Emoji? :smiling_imp:
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Get my a beach near my place and I walk it all night long!

1 Like

Hey ther I’m new to the forum,
want to introduce myself:
grew up and gone to scool near Heidelberg, been a carpenter for 4 years, woodframing etc, studying at Rosenheim university woodengineering and now working as one in the south of bavaria, hobby beekeeper. 2 kids…
I got in contact whith Sketchup in 2012 an I’am almost loving it (most of it ;-))
The dream: Possibility of drawing and designing woodframinghouses in Sketchup and get them on the machine (for example Hundegger K2 or others), perhaps done by an extensen that generates a machinereadable format.
Unfortunately I am not a versed programmer, but look forward to get familiar with ruby in sketchup, and at least realizing smaller things with ruby sketchup…

Nice greets to the really cool forum and its members

1 Like