Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hello One and All,
I am Cheong, a DoP by profession, dealing mainly with television commercials and a bit of feature films. I have seen SketchUp at work and have been very impressed by the performance and that there are so many things and applications that one can use it for. I would have liken this introduction of this magnificent software to the invention of Steadicam by Mr Garret Brown to the filming community. But regretfully for me, being a computer illiterate, still have taken the opportunity to learn more and get to use it on a personal basis. This is my first step and I am very sure that I will not regret taking it. I am definitely going to have a lot of fun on this journey… Many thanks to the creator/s and all of you on the board… Keep up the GREAT work…

I have just gotten a iMac… My favourite emoji :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I don’t stay close enough to the beach but don’t get me wrong… I love the great outdoors… So I am into tennis and more tennis, a lot closer too home…

•Hi All,
My name is Ray and I have been using Sketchup Make for about a year. I’m currently semi retired and had worked in the data communications industry for nearly 40 years. I use Sketchup for my own personal wood working projects. My most aggressive project was designing a front porch for my house, which turned out great. I am using an HP laptop with 8gb ram and two 24" monitors. One is setup Horizontal and the other vertical position, I find this monitor configuration very useful while working in Sketchup.

I would say I am an intermediate level user, however after seeing some of the great Sketchup projects in the forum and other place on the internet, I feel more like a beginner with a lot more tricks to learn. One of my favorite thing about Sketchup is its flexibility of application, if you can imagine it you can draw it, of course the 3D orb is a really cool tool.

What’s an emoji :scream::hammer:

I want to thank everyone who participates with questions and responses in the forum. I have learned a lot from just reading through the various Q&A within the forum. Right now I’m not feeling confident enough in my skills to provide responses yet. However, as my skills progress so will my responses.

Thanks again for the great end user support.

1 Like

Who are you: Francis
What is your industry and profession? ICT
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Private
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…) To design…
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Beginner
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Uh?
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) Laptop, Make

2 Likes

hi to the community,

My name is Paul Brackstone

I work in Retail on store formats globally, I use sketch up 2016 pro for store design and make at home, currently using SU podium render package but about to try Vray.

Look forward to asking questions as quite a new user with 1 year experience.

Bracky…

1 Like

Hello, I’m Carlos, IT technician.

I’m a fan of both 3d and building stuff, so I use sketch up as a first step in order to put my ideas to real. It it a great tool.

I’m from the Azores, a newbie to sketchup. I use it at home, in a w7 x64, i72700k, Asus GTX770 DirectCU OC II, 16GB DDR3, SSD PC. No complaints about performance.

1 Like

You were kind enough to tell me that I introduced myself in the right place. Now I have a technical question that I would like to post but don’t know where I am supposed to post it. Could you please tell me where I do that?

@wjr,

That depends on the technical question!

Check out the Categories available and choose the one most appropriate to your problem. If you’re not sure, reply to this with a brief description. SketchUp? Pro or not? Layout? 3dWarehouse? I’m sure someone will chime in once we know a bit more!

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I am trying to model my kitchen sink. As shown in the picture, the faucet and handle as well as the soap dispenser look like they would be good candidates for the follow me tool except that they change dimension and shape along a path.I could probably do it by drawing many cross sections and then connecting them together but I feel there must be a better way. I can provide more details once I know I am sending this to the correct place.

2 Likes

@wjr,

I haven’t yet taken the time to learn anything about modeling gracefully curved stuff, so for help, the best I can come up with is to start a new topic in the SketchUp Category of this forum.

But before you do that, I suggest checking out the 3D Warehouse. You can access it within SketchUp under the Window menu, or in your browser by clicking here. There is a good possibility that it’s already been modeled in SketchUp and is available for you to download and use in your project - no need to re-invent the wheel! – Unless you WANT to in order to better learn SketchUp!

Once you’re in the 3D Warehouse, search on “Kitchen Faucet” - and if you know it, add the manufacturer. Kohler and Delta (and a few other manufacturers) have models of most of their lines in the 3DW.

Hope this helps!

Steve

1 Like

Hi,

I’m Paul and SketchUp has been a great ordeal in patience, but mine is wearing thin. I’m a real newby to SU and I have some REALY BASIC querries. I can get to a screen that scrolls into 4 sectors, learning Warehosue, 3D etc etc, but I cannot get out of the screens. Am I missing an “X” marker at teh top of a screen??? Really basic huh.

I have D/L and selected a Base Template in Feet/Inches rather than a metric format.

When I elect to “Close SU” than I get a base screen with a person in the lower left portion and I can draw, erase, make arcs etc.

SU is as different to me as Windows8 . . . . . . . HELP

1 Like

You should verify that button text…

2 Likes

Cotty,

I was going from memory, and that can be a bit flaky at times. Not "Close SU’ as originally stated, but the only way out of the screen that I was looking at ws to go to the SU Icon in the bottom tray and right click on it and “Close Window” Sorry for the misinterpretation on my part.

2 Likes

Who are you, who, who? In this forum I am known as CodeSlayer2010.

What is your industry and profession? I am a renaissance man and a jack-of-all-trades, with the majority of my professional experience being contracts in Web Application Development. Additionally, I have various levels of experience in musicianship, vlogging, diy projects, creating things, repurposing things, residential building construction (drywalling, framing, plumbing, etc.) automotive diagnosis and repair, bodybuilding, personal training, painting, sketching, diagramming, user interface design, etc. I am currently open for contracts.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I have been trying to teach myself SketchUp at home.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…) My first project is to build a 3D model of a room in my house then use it to try out various interior decorating and design scenarios. Eventually, I want to use SketchUp to design tiny homes and other solutions for eco-friendly, human-friendly, and sustainable building solutions.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? I consider myself a beginner. I have some previous experience (20 years ago) in CAD drafting software, and I stumbled into SketchUp one day while searching for a lightweight, free, easy-to-use drafting software. However, since I started teaching myself, I’ve ran into a speedbump right at the beginning:

Q: HOW DO I CREATE TWO RECTANGLES ON TOP OF EACH OTHER, THEN MOVE THE TOP ONE TO A DIFFERENT LOCATION ON THE SCREEN WITHOUT THE LINES OF THE BOTTOM RECTANGLE BEING STICKY AND DISTORING THE SHAPE?

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? What is a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.

• SketchUp Pro 2015
  • Windows 10, 64-bit

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? What is a 3DW page? Tell me more!

Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) I believe that SketchUp will be a great program for me to learn to use, however it CONCERNS me that I have not found any reference to the “sticky shapes” problem I mentioned anywhere on the web, let alone a viable solution.

What is your favorite Emoji? 2;)>

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? It depends on the beach. Make me an offer

2 Likes

@codeslayer2010,

Regarding the rectangles. When you complete the first one, select the face and edges and either make them a Group or a Component. Then, when you create the 2nd rectangle, the geometry (lines) won’t interact with the first rectangle.

And welcome fellow Tiny Home enthusiast!

This is 3DBasecamp

3DW page is your personal page on the 3D Warehouse site. A place to find, download and collect Components of others, and show all the Components you may have chosen to publish. Here’s my 3DW page, as an example…

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Gordon

• Who are you, who, who? Yep, I got that already?!!
    I am a retired Mechanical Engineer become a Systems Program Manager. I use to use AutoCAD, but it takes too much time and effort to get a model into it. A neighbor told me about SketchUp. He is a woodworker/cabinet maker and wanted me to try my hand at SketchUp to see if I could create builders drawings for his project. I said I would give it a go. So far, I have learned the basics.
  • What is your industry and profession?
    My industry was Medical Engineering.
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
    I use SketchUp personnally. If this trial works out, I will start using it professionally.
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
    This program was offered as a best way to build 3D models for my neighbor. It is easy to understand once I finished watching the tutorials.
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner
  • What is your current set up?
    A desktop computer with an I haven’t looked a my computer credentials in a while so this will have to wait for a better time.
  • Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
    Actually I need more time flying this thing be for I will show off.
    Right now I am trying out Pro to see if it fills the requirements of making builder drawings.
  • Anything else you would like to tell us?
    Right now playing in this modeler is competing with other retirement activities.
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
    Actually I more of a mountain lover. Long walks in the woods are more preferable to the beach.
2 Likes

Hi There, I am new to this forum and quite honestly I am not sure how to even communicate on this forum. So… Hellow World.

2 Likes

I am trying to figure out why my view of sketchup looks like it is getting clipped when I move the mouse around what I am drawing. It is like I am being clipped by a section cut or a section view but neither of those are selected to be shown. Anybody know what I am doing wrong?

1 Like

possibly add your model, sounds like ‘clipping plane’ issues…

john

1 Like

This is what it looks like when I pan around the picture gets clipped. I have checked over and over, under the view tab section plane and section cuts are both NOT CHECKED. This is driving me nuts!

2 Likes