Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

I got a small problem with getting parts to fit together . . I have 3D printer and this appears to be only software to use that may work

1 Like

As another person put it I do not see a spot to add a picture or Icon for myself and the Introduction page leaves a bit to be needed . . But I am Ms. Lynne Stevens Live in Phoenix AZ and got a 3D printer to make things with while retired . . This program seems to be one which will work to make items for sale via 3D printing , , I have another program but its is like driving a 18 wheeler to deliver a gas cap . . ( Blender is what it is called ) . . And I use Linux for Operating system No Bot’s No Malware, and No Virus’s for Linux much safer system and I can run all of your windows stuff in Virtual Box inside of Win 7-1 . .

1 Like

Oh yeah my setup is I3 quad core CPU 2.4 gigaherts and run Linux Ubuntu 15.10 64 bit 16 gig DDR3 and run Virtual Box to add in windows stuff ( programs )

1 Like

First, I am having trouble “introducing myself.” Every time I click on “introduce” I come back to the same front page.
I am a begging 3D “maker” and I am hoping to build a business that will pay for my “retirement.” I am 66 and have no retirement fund so I have to work until I croak. I might as well do something interesting…

Specifically, I want to start out by making things that people will pay for. I have a medical background and would eventually like to end up printing prosthetics and human organs.

1 Like

I had the same problem and got a ahumm them kinda answers back . . got to keep poking around till you get to profile . . Run the mouse over the Icons and read what it does then click on it and see where it goes to . . Me also am looking for a job to fill in some income since I am way over 70 now . . Part of what I got for money from my dad’s last retirement check paid for a Geetech I3 Pro C Dual Extruder 3 D printer and I bought some rolls of PLA to run ( waiting on the .4 mm nozzles now to change them out . . ABS is strange stuff to use or so my first part was weird . . . . But I ad a defective Extruder Holder at that time and did not know it . . got metal one to replace it since and have had great parts since . .Going to make glow in the dark things for sale around Christmas time ( they got 4 colours of the stuff and only 1 request for blue glow in dark one )

1 Like

Hello there,

Sueno Maharg here. I live beyond the mountains in the north of Scotland. I am a Chartered Mechanical Engineer (MSc) and have been using SketchUp Make for four years, firstly to design our new low-energy bungalow (in which we now live) and subsequently to produce STL files for use on our Makerspace 3D printers. Our Makerspace is The T-Exchange and is very active in our very rural community. Quite a number of us use SketchUp (mainly on community education projects) but we have no experts and have a lot to learn. Looking forward to picking up some useful tips and hopefully contributing a bit at some point.

1 Like

Actually, I have had good luck for the most part. I am a CompTIA computer tech with over 30+ years of technical experience. My problems were with leveling but now I’m pretty good at it. It seems that there was a wire loose during shipping and I had to keep leveling until Lulzbot had me check the wire and connect it someplace else.

I am learning about different adhesives at the moment. Lulzbot wants me to purchase a PEI sheet to put on my print bed but the last two I had were destroyed by my inexperience. Now I have 4 plates of 3/16 glass and am covering each with a different adhesive. Today I am making ABS juice if I ever get space to do it from my “honey do” list.

I purchased my TAZ 5 from Lulzbot. I can’t imagine a nozzel that is not metal. The print temps are too high for anything else but perhaps ceramic. In point of fact I am hoping to get a stainless steel one so I can print with carbon fiber. Anything else will get eaten up by the filament.

What I am trying to find out is whether I can alter a pair of shoes for instance to fit the feet of a friend with a nasty bunion on her right foot from wearing heels that did not fit her. I have run out of Trial use of SketchUp but I have not as yet learned how to use it.

There is no great secret to ABS. Use ABS juice, or AquaNet, get the temperature right then lay down a wide brim to improve adhesion.

I want to start small like this while I learn how to use my machine then print for doctors and dentists.

Thanks for replying. It’s fun to talk to people who are doing what you/we are doing.

Adam

1 Like

• Who are you, who, who? I am German (50), living and working in Holland.
• What is your industry and profession? I am an Mechanical Engineer
• Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I use Sketchup as an amateur!
• Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Sketchup is so pretty easy (except when you try yo make round parts …
• How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Haha, I would name myself less than a beginner
• Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? What that?
• What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.105 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) I have a i7 windows machine with massive storage and RAM running (errggh) windows 10 but will for sure go back to Apple
• Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? nope, I am toooo bad for that …
• Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) I am looking to find people to inspire me and help me designing my private garden - I need help in creating it in 3D first to convince my family to change the garden …
•What is your favorite Emoji? :smile:
•Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Does the Internet has an endpoint? I love Porsche.

1 Like

Hi again Lynn, Are you working with ABS and have you turned off your fans? Cooling leads to warping which will cause your parts to not fit.

1 Like

Could you please continue your discussion by creating a new thread in the 3d printing section.
This thread is an introduction thread and isn’t designed for conversations.

Hey there sketchup peeps,

My name is Chris, I’m a licensed architect and AIA member. I live and work in Boston and Cambridge, MA.

Have been working in architecture field for jeez, 20 years now. I did, however, back off on my architectural work to start a gym business about 10 years ago, so I work in both fields now which keeps me plenty busy.

I first played around with sketchup in the late 90s or early 2000s and didn’t really do much with it at the time, as I was mostly working on the production end of big projects using mostly autocad. I started revisiting the software a few years ago and taught myself how to use it (well, to some degree, still a work in progress) doing smaller scaled projects, mostly residential projects and equipment and spacial modifications for my gym business. As I’ve gotten better at it and seen what it can do, I’ve been using it more and more, and for a house in Cambridge I’m currently doing, I want to try and do it entirely in Sketchup and skip autocad/revit entirely. I do find that there are rudimentary things I still don’t ‘get’ about sketchup though and I need to fill in the gaps of knowledge.

I’ve really fallen in love with this software over the past year or so, have taken some courses on it, both live at AIA events and online, and want to push my skills to the next level and enjoy and contribute to the community.

1 Like

My name is Joe, I’m a 3D printing prototyper and home-hobbyist, general tinkerer. I use sketch-up to redesign plastic parts for printing and to make custom pieces here and there. I run a couple 3d printers and a CNC mill that I built so sketch-up has become kind of my go-to software for simple modelling and STL creation.

1 Like

I am a retired prof. with a PhD in Physics., Lately I was teaching at the Physics and at the Engineering departments of the University of Lisboa.

I have same experience with AutoCAD and microstation, not a lot using them, but mainly developing applications embedded (C/C++ has been my tool) and sometimes teaching. Not recently.

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites smiley )
Hi i’m Tjerk. 34, from the Netherlands

What is your industry and profession?
Architecture and building, currently active as a teacher in that profession.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
As a teacher

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…)
From a quick mass design to technical details

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
I think im somewhere between intermediate and advance?

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
Windows 10 SketchUp 2015

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
Yes i have. Not much yet but take a look. :smile: Tjerk P. | 3D Warehouse

1 Like

Who am I?
T. Jerry Miskovsky
What do I do?
Cut plywood and polymetal shapes on a CNC router
What brings me to Sketch Up?
I am about to attend a 3D printing workshop.

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites smiley )
Hi all. Im Scott /Scooter

What is your industry and profession?
Creating beautiful home interiors

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Still learning but will use Sketchup professionally in my humble home office soon enough.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…)
About time i caught up and provided my clients with some of my visions

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
Only a month into this so a definite beginner

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
Macbook Pro 2015 Retina. Sketchup 2016. (Navara Pickup) :wink:

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
Will add this at some point

Looks like theres a wealth of knowledge here, I’m sure ill learn a lot from you all. Apologies if i ask some obvious FAQ.

Scooter

1 Like

I was rushed when I wrote my intro. Now I have time to give more data. 2003 I was hired by a company that cuts signs primarily from plywood and secondarily from polymetal. The latter is a sandwich of aluminum bread and plastic meat. 2006 they purchase a CNC router. I learn to program it and become proficient at creating new shapes as the clientele request them.

2004 I purchase a Windows laptop. I shlep it to places where there’s complimentary wifi when I look at the wonderous internet. 2009 I purchase my first smart phone. I have no idea what Android is, and that green shop vac with eyes and antennas looks too cute. I buy a Windows phone because that’s a known entity. No more shlepping that laptop! Internet wherever there’s a signal! Windows’ Opera™ internet doesn’t work well. I learn that Android is a Google brand. I buy an Android phone. Internet now works just like Google’s Fire Fox on my laptop, and my Gmail works reasonably well too.

However, that too-cute-to-be-serious prejudice proves to have some merit. I do a lot of spread sheets. Excel Mobile is pret’near as strong as the full computer program. 'Droids don’t have preinstalled spread sheets. Shed Spreet Pro is disaster. Another spread sheet from Google Play Worked for a while, but eventually stopped being able to save files. I now use my retired Windows phone. Also, the cut&paste operation for text files on my Windows phone is straight forward. Android might have text file cut&paste, but I don’t see how. Even worse, the CAD in Google Play is very weak. The best I’ve found is AndCAD, $20. It crashes frequently, and the operations are very limitted.

2015 December my boss tells me about a 3D printing workshop in Boeing’s Future of Flight, Mukilteo, Everett, WA. Those machines use SketchUp. Next Monday, the 21st, I’m going there on his dime. I’m learning SketchUp, and participating in this forum, on one of the office computers. If I absolutely must, I’ll purchase another full computer to operate a 3D CAD. I’d rather upgrade my smart phone because I really enjoy having internet and computing in my pocket wherever I am. No single phone has sufficient strength in everything I need. I’ll get a Note for my internet & Email, powered by whomever, and a Lumia for spread sheets, CAD, other serious computing, and voice. The lattest dictates Verizon.

I hope there’ll be some strong CAD, especially 3D, on the Windows phone market.

That feels like a proper self introduction.
Jerry 2to3D

1 Like

BtW, where’s the log out button in this program?

1 Like

Hi, My name is Ryan and I’ve been a Sketchup user for several years. I’ve been an avid woodworker for my entire adult life. I first learned of Sketchup in my Woodsmith magazine and immediately looked into it as I was looking for an application that I could properly model my woodworking projects. I’m a mechanical design engineer in the aerospace industry by trade so I’m familiar with CAD systems. I just knew that I wouldn’t be able to afford a ProE, Unigraphics, or Solidworks license so, when I saw the word “FREE”, I jumped at the chance to evaluate it. I couldn’t believe the degree of functionality in a free CAD program! I’m not usually a forum reader or contributor but this is a community in which I can see myself thoroughly enjoying!

1 Like

My name is Joel and I am 73 and a retired avionics engineer from Lockheed Martin in Palmdale California. I am have no idea if I am introducing myself in the right place or not. Fortunately, I know more about SketchUp than I do about forums. I looked at the questions and answers from your other members and realized that I can learn much more than I can provide to others. I watched a video from one of the members on the construction of Chess Pieces and it cleared up many things I had been struggling with. After watching the video I knew that I had to become a member of this elite group of ShetchUp masters and hope that some of it rubs off on me. If I introduced myself in the wrong place - Sorry.

2 Likes