Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hello Sketchup Community, I am Arnfinn Rian, a relatively new and definitely amateur user of Sketchup.
As of today I am not employed as a SU user but I have been looking for work as a CAD operator/designer on and off for a couple of years now. In Norway they aren’t really that many opportunities in the creative businesses.

I discovered Sketchup when I was studying 3D drawing in 2010 with Autocad and this program completely took me by my heart. I love how it is intuitive, easy to work, and that you never use the term “workaround” as you have to in AutoCAD and Blender.

By now I am probably little more than intermediate, but I am not a member of any social network where I can compare my work.

I work on a PC, Win7, 4GB Ram, double monitors and Logitech Anywhere MX cordless mouse. After Sketchup I discovered the value of a good mouse.

This is my 3Dwarehouse. please feel free to rate, rant and like if you feel for it.

Who’s Emoji?

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…Sure I fish all the time.

I’m 46, likeable, redhead, redbeard, I smile easily and don’t really know what else to say.

3 Likes

I moved 2 posts to a new topic: SketchUp opportunities in Norway?

1 Like

Hi Guys,

I am an engineering apprentice who has used SketchUp for a few years now and have got quite good at creating complicated dynamic components. I work for Rubysketch, Rubysketch started as a company who draw 3D BIM Models for Australian brands and have now gone global and have created one of the most advanced and revolutionary SketchUp Plug ins (see more details below).

Here at Rubysketch we have made an amazing plugin for SketchUp called PlusSpec that I recommend you all look at. Check the link below for our website.

PlusSpec is a software created for construction professionals. As there was a lack of BIM and parametric modeling inside of SketchUp we were able to create PlusSpec to fill these gaps and now gives users the opportunity to model complex 3D BIM models in minutes instead of hours and days.

2 Likes

I’m currently self employed consulting small businesses. For the month of April I have been contracted to build a website, a 3d animation and do market research for a company with a rod pump tool. The tool is used in horizontal liquid rich wells with pumps, to prevent gas interference.
I’ve spent my career in service: first restaurants, then hotels, next financial planning, small business and now oil & gas too.
I started researching 3D animation and was referred to several programs including SketchUP. I’m a beginner in this realm.
Currently using the PRO 2015 trial version with extensions.
Nothing to show off yet, however could use help. :wine_glass: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Thanking everyone in advance,

Jennifer Cockton
SystemsGirl

2 Likes
2 Likes

I moved a post to a new topic: Tutorials?

Greetings!
I’m an amateur user who is using 2015 Make to do exactly that. I’ve not jumped into the extension pool yet but have been eyeing it. Currently I’m designing a computer desk from PVC (formufit) that will accommodate my twin 27 inc monitors as well as my 1 year old Bombay cat Mo. Eventually I’m hoping to take the skills even further and start making other items but one step at a time.

Now, off I go to seek some advice!

2 Likes

My name? Abraham, that’s my name

Industry and profession? Automotive, i design bodyworks and specs for special purpose vehicle based on available chassis

Where do I use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Mostly from home, both personally and professionally

Why do I use SketchUp and my favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…) Look at my profession, link it with how intuitive most operations in SketchUp are, you’ll figure it out. And I don’t have to spent any more money nor space for Tamiya or Dragon, etc. model kits

How proficient am I in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Should be an advanced right now, but I still CANNOT beautifully model cloth with its folds and crease, how would you categorize that?

My current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (kein problem, I have no lake house nor a Ferarri) Core I5 PC with WinXP OS. Somebody bought me SketchUp Pro 2015 this week, installed it, tried it, and now I’m back using my antiquated Ver. 6

Do I have a 3DW page with my models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? I do : ABramS (was Bram) | 3D Warehouse , just too busy to fill it with my private (just-for-hobby) models

Anything else I would like to tell you? Hmmmm… maybe if I get to know you better

What is your favorite Emoji? Er, what is Emoji?

Do I enjoy long walks on the beach…? Not really

2 Likes

Hi !
I’m a sketchup user since few years for modeling objects for x-plane flight simulator add-ons.
I like skettchup for his easy use and nice final work.
I don’t think I’m an advanced proficient but I think I’m an intermediate.

See you !

2 Likes

I moved a post to a new topic: Sketchup for my own tiny home designs

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites smiley )
Hi my name is Chris Stewart

What is your industry and profession?
Residential and Building Design

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Stewart HomePlan & Design

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…)
Well I just started using it because of all the awesome things it can do. I was using SoftPlan before but it has been fizzling out.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
Definitely a beginner

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
Windows 8.1 SketchUp 2015

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
No but as soon as I learn how to use it I plan on getting one

Anything else you would like to tell us?
I think that learning how to program smart dynamic components will be fun

What is your favorite Emoji?
Emoji? (I’m 54)

My wife is much smarter than I am -I leave all that other stuff up to her.

2 Likes

HI am Gina a.k.a mmellow35,

• what is your industry and profession? **i am a nurse and a university student, in the united states, **
  • where do you use SketchUp? personally/professionally? i will like to use SketchUp in a 3D chat game called IMVU, to make things like clothes,hair,houses as meshes and maybe for other personal use as time unfolds
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? most of the creators on the game i mention above use sketchUp to make their products we buy with our real life money but my main goal is creating something unique where they will like to derive from whether its clothes, cars, shoes, etc
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? hmm…to tell you the truth am so new to 3D modeling and Sketchup though i have read so much on it, and don;t mind investing my time to become a PRO at it …lol my job has always been to save lives and make my patients comfortable,lol, but well life events i guess …interesting
  • What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. i have a Windows 8.1 and i have the free version of SketchUp 2015, will upgrade with time
  • Do you have a 3DW page with your models, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Haha… now this will be interesting, well like i mentioned earlier i will like to learn how to make stuff, so of course ! yes, …sure… :slight_smile: if i can get a tutorial to start lol i sure will
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? **i will appreciated tutorials,videos,to know my way around SketchUp, i speak french as well :smile: **
  • What is your favorite Emoji? :smiley:
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? :slight_smile: i have never been to one but its on my buketlist of things i will love to do,
3 Likes

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites smiley ) I’m Intizam… can call me Izam
What is your industry and profession? I’m an engineer (electromagnetic compatibility… not related to sketchup at all by the way)
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Personally
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…) Home remodelling ideas, I like how easy for me to use it.
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? I can say… intermediate, I guess
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) Mac OSX, SketchUp make 2015 (pro trial), I used SketchUp 7 in my old PC.
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Not at the moment since all my design files I kept in my personal folders.
Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) I really like to show some of my creation and would like to have your improvement suggestions once in a while.
What is your favorite Emoji? Hmmm… smiley faced with the cold sweat
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Sure

2 Likes

I moved a post to a new topic: Training for SketchUp as a Landscape Architect

I moved a post to a new topic: 3d printing and transformer add-ons

After being involved in this iteration of the SketchUp Community since it migrated from the previous Forum, I guess it’s time to finally introduce myself too. Plus it gives me an excuse to show some of my work on 3dwh.
I’m J. V. Lee, a licensed professional architect and former educator at several universities. I use SketchUp professionally, but for me that is kind of like using it personally as I am a sole practitioner.

I am an advanced user although I continually learn new things about the program almost daily. My system is a Dell Precision M6600 with 16 gb RAM, numerous hard drives ranging from 500 gb to 5tb capacity and an nVidia Quadro 3000M graphics adapter. This is an Intel i5, 64 bit computer with Win 7 OS. The current setup is going to be augmented with a new Dell Inspiron i7 notebook computer having considerably greater processing power and speed within the next few weeks because the current system has recently begun to display signs of wear and tear.

I have been using SketchUp since version 3 and enjoy it because of its relative simplicity and ease of use. In fact, I am such a fan that I abandoned use of AutoCAD, Vectorworks and Revit in favor of SU some time ago and have not looked back since.

A sample of some of my projects can be seen at: [J. V. Lee sample projects]

Emojis and beaches? Let’s not get into that right now, OK?

3 Likes

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites )
I have now passed the age of 60 years and consider myself mature. But, as graphic artists in general, … never quite adult.
I work with a variety of different graphic styles and techniques.
And, with too many programs. (I want to emphasize that I do not really understand much of what is happening inside my PCs and Mack’s - but love what I can get out of it.)

I I own a small graphic studio located on the west coast of Norway. My market is mainly domestic.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
A large part of my tasks is to visualize and simplify HSE information, procedures and practices in connection with petroleum operations.
Often this includes buildings and ships. And for thath, -SketchUp is a wonderful tool.
But sometimes I bang my head into problems where I need expert skilled at a higher level.
So I have great hopes that this forum is the answer, and thath I allso can contribute with something sometimes.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…)
Its interface is intuitive. (Yes, to impress babes. SU is my strongest cards nowadays…)
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
When it comes to modeling I’m on intermediate. I has not yet posted anything on Google Map. Thath is my next target. My rendrering knowledge is also only so-so.
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)
Thinkpad/Lenovo W 701ds And 2 MacBook Pro. All have a second monitors. I also have a Wacom drawing boards .
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)
Peek into: http://studiok.no/ Gallery/ animation/
Otherwise … in our family you will find: my wife “Brynja” from Iceland and our Dacks dog “Snorre”.

What is your favorite Emoji?
I’ll make it when I get time.

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
Not at all.

2 Likes

I moved a post to a new topic: Need help as new user

Who are you?

Mark K.

I am and architect and sometimes Sketchup instructor. It has been painless and fun to learn Sketchup, I have used it as a value added service to my clients to view 3D solutions and I am sharing the the 3D virtual modeling process with grade school students.

How proficient are you in SketchUp?

I believe myself to be a upper level intermediate heading to advanced.

What is your current set up?

HP p6510y, AMD Athlon II quad processor, 12 GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro - 64 bit, Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3400.

Do you have a 3DW page with your models?

No 3DW, I have a YouTube Channel with 3rd grader created models animated and set to music. [- YouTube]
I am trying to get (not yet) some animations and side-by-side stills with actual photos on my website.

Anything else you would like to tell us?

I am very interested in creating and sharing 3D maps. If there is a way to share interactive SketchUp models I’d appreciate any suggestions. I have been converting the small urban models I have creating from SketchUp models to 3D PDFs. The first level of interactive allowing the models to be navigated using a PDF viewer, the pull down views menu and by manually changing the view locations in the 3D PDF has been achieved. Embedding popup information boxes into the 3D PDF (or SketchUp) model is my next task. If someone has an idea or path I could research I’d appreciate it. I had joined the SketchUp programming group to try to expand on this idea. I have very little programming experience only one semester of C++. If someone has a suggestion of a program that I should investigate spending time learning to allow me to achieve the idea of an interactive distribution 3D map I’d love to hear about it.

Besides instructing 3D virtual modeling to grade school students and conveying 3D design to my architectural clients via SketchUp I want to use SketchUp to model missing pieces to early 1900 tin toys and mock them up for evaluation on a 3D printer.

2 Likes

I am Jorge, from Colombia; I have my own studio where I work as a CAD designer, 3D modeler and architectural drafter.
I’ve used SketchUp for 7 years as my main sotfware to model; I use AutoCAD, Adobe photoshop and Adobe illustrator, I also use V-Ray for rendering. I graduated from architectural drafting school in 2013.

I use SkUp both personally and professionally. As I said before, I’ve used Skup for 7 years and since then I just got used to it. I love its interface as it was really quick to learn how to use it.

Visit my page to see my latest works, my portfolio: fb.com/studio4rstudio

3 Likes