Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

i am michael hollihn
i use sketchup 15 pro with a mac
i design natural timber frame residential homes
natural homes use building materials that come from the surface of the earth
within 100km of the building site

i have a question about the solar trackers
i used to have one in an older version
can’t seem to make it work for su 15
wondering if anyone knows of one that works for su 15?
kind thanks

1 Like

I’m Gerald Campbell, a pathologist and medical school professor with previous background in theoretical physics. I’ve been learning SketchUp Make for a few months (rank beginner!), mainly for personal woodworking projects and a work project to improve our photographic facilities for autopsy and surgical specimens. A long-term goal with my colleague who teaches anatomy is to design some models for 3D printing to demonstrate difficult anatomical dissections to medical students.
I’m using SketchUp, 64 bit version, on an HP Sprout with 23 inch touch monitor.

1 Like

Hi, my name is PabloOne.and though a home user I have the 1 user commercial license because I like to teach myself with every help I can get to improve my hobby skills with the best design package I could get… and this is it.

I am retired, but dabbled in computer programming a bit and sometimes I get the “design” itch. Strictly for the fun of keeping my brain busy…

I work with a 16 gig HP monster machine that is about 8 years old and purrs like a kitten. The video card has 2 gigs of memory itself.

I hope you guys and gals don’t mind elemental questions… :slight_smile: after all, the guts of Sketchup is based on “elemental parts” to make up and act to create everything else… Be talking to you.

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? Hello. My name is David Thilk, I live in Dunedin, FL. I am benetodog on Sketchup.

What is your industry and profession? I am an Interior Designer, I work for a luxury home builder in Tampa, I specialize in kitchen and bathroom design.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?Professionally. And, just for fun.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? 3D Sketchup drawings really help my clients understand how the final product will look. Sketchup also helps me solve spatial problems. It is a lot of fun for me, I find Sketchup very relaxing….it has become my Zen.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? I have been using Sketchup for about 3 years now. Maybe I am an intermediate, there is so much I still want to learn.

What is your current set up? HP lap top, Windows 10 64 bit, Intel i5, DirectX version 12 (?)
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/user.html?id=0459362665875595282610819

Anything else you would like to tell us? I have done all my drawing by hand for years. I have resisted CAD. One day I just happened upon Sketchup, It was love at first sight! I packed up my drawing board and al my drawing tools about 2 years ago, I haven’t touched them since.

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Yes, I live about a mile from the one the best beaches in the nation……but I haven’t been there in about a year.

2 Likes

Who are you, who, who? Hello, My name is Gary Kitchen, from Tampa, FL. My profile is gkitf16 on SketchUp. I’m completely new to SketchUp, and trying to overcome some initial problems just to learn how use it, so please bear with me.
What is your industry and profession? My industry is gasket cutting and production, the old-fashioned way - no CNC/CAD :frowning: Hard to believe in this day and age, but true. We serve industrial businesses and industry with gasket and sealing products.
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally, but also trying to use for basic warehouse floorplan layout and object placement. We are moving to a new facility soon, and this will be very important in decision-making regarding equipment and shop plan layout.
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Right now I’m still in in the very basic “how do I do that” stage, so not much info here
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Total beginner. Well, let me qualify that. Several years ago, I tried SketchUp 2013, but was quite frustrated by the interface, tool selection learning and steep learning curve just to create accurate simple objects that were remotely usable for anything. So, I know a very little bit, most of which is very rusty, and probably need to learn the entire thing from complete scratch again.
What is your current set up? Desktop, Windows 7 - 64 Pro, Intel i7, 16 GB memory. Laptop Asus Windows 7 - 64 Pro, Intel i7 8 GB memory
Anything else you would like to tell us? I enjoy other hobbies such as general computing, electronics and technical repair, videography and digital photography/editing, horses are one of my passions and favorite subjects/friends.
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Not much of a beach person, but I do like a great adventure out in nature

2 Likes

Who am I? Fifty Something, never married. MOSDEF of one of the (now multiple) generations that can’t afford to live where I grew up. Trying to go car free, or at least car-lite. Towards that end, here are some pics of me and my bicycles:

Drat!

Note to original poster: You should NOT ask for “pictures” for an introductory post! I did just that, I included 3 pictures. When I clicked on “Reply” to post my reply, it wouldn’t let me - new users are limited to ONE picture (not pictures per post! As the first thing a new user is asked to do is an introductory post, this has presented problems for me.

Not to worry! I made a composite of the three pictures I wanted to post, so I could do so in a single picture:

Sunday is the first bike I bought/rode after about 30 years of my being well described as a “sedentary couch potato.” For you bicycle aficionados reading this, it’s a Bike Friday New World Tourist. I took delivery of it on a Sunday at the house of a bike crazy relative (I had it shipped to him at his job to insure that somebody would be there to accept the parcel). He and I assembled it at his home, and he asked if I was going to name it. With a bit of beer induced whimsey, since the bike company is named for a day of a week, I named it “Sunday” I occasionally get a chuckle when I say to someone: “Sunday is my bike Friday.”

Saturday is my more recently purchased, day to day bike, which, confirming a personal tradition of naming my bikes for days of the week, I’ve christened “Saturday” - again, the day I took delivery… It’s for when I’m doing short trips around town shopping or visiting. Sorry, but I don’t have a picture of me actually ON Saturday!

I still regularly ride Sunday. When my trip is solely for excercise, or planned over 20 miles, or shorter trips with significant hills, I’ll ride Sunday. But Saturday is my most frequent steed.

I’m childless by choice, but I rejoice in my niece.Note this was before Saturday joined my family, so I was still using Sunday for shorter, slower, flatter trips, which is all my niece does! For exercise, she swims almost daily.

What is my industry and profession? Currently? Unemployed by choice (long story). I’ve been a Paramedic, a Systems Administrator, IT Manager, Contractor (as in building trades, not a contracted consultant). My longest stint was being employed by a wholesale electrical supply business, starting in sales and growing into a Jack of Most Trades (I could fill ANY role in the business, except the ones that require grokking double entry bookkeeping!

Although I’m officially unemployed (with rare consultant gigs), what I’m working on is transitioning to living in a Tiny House. Mine’s going to be a Tiny House on Wheels. Major tasks are: Finding a place to build it, building it, finding a place to park it when I occupy it, political work in my city to make Tiny Homes acceptable in multiple zoning classifications, political work in my city to create a new zoning use allowing clusters of Tiny Homes in a village, and, of course, designing it - using SketchUp!

Which answers the Where do you use SketchUp? question. Given my intended transition to Tiny Living, I’m going paperless wherever possible. But my overriding reason for first finding, then starting to use SketchUp, is that I can’t draw worth s**t! So it was CAD or paying someone else to do it!

**How proficient am I in SketchUp? ** I’d have to say I’m a beginner, headed steadily towards intermediate. But I have already created my first dynamic component! I’m not willing to share it (yet) because it’s a rudimentary model of a commercially available piece of multi-use (and configuration) furniture, and I want to contact the manufacturer to see if they’d be willing to pay me to make it a really tricked out, realistic component as a sales tool. The product is a perfect match for Tiny Homes, and I know a LOT of Tiny Home DIY builders who are using SketchUp to plan their build. My pitch to the manufacturer will be: Having a branded SketchUp component will increase your sales into the Tiny Home market.

Have I gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Not yet, but I’ll be signing up for the June 2016 3DBasecamp (and Bootcamp) in Steamboat Springs, CO before the day ends! I hope to meet some of you there.

What is my current set up? I’ve got a fairly high end Lenovo ThinkPad in a docking station. I multi-task in almost everything I do, so at home, I use it with THREEE screens (two external and the internal screen), full size keyboard, trackball, USB scanner and backup drive… SketchUp Pro 2016. And SketchUp View on my new Pixel C Android Tablet - which I’ve already found useful in some of my building material research (I visit local showrooms and supply houses to learn more about my choices, and being able to show a visualization of how I’m planning to use the products often makes things go MUCH faster!)

In preparation for 3DBasecamp, I’m going to start using SketchUp on the bare laptop. And the more I use SketchUp at my desk, where I’m frequently switching between the trackball and the keyboard, the more I suspect that I’ll transition to using SketchUp primarily on the bare laptop. Why? I chose the Lenovo ThinkPad because I HATE touchpads! My first laptop was an IBM with the TouchPoint pointer nestled in the triangle created by the G, H, and B keys, and I became accustomed to being able to point without my hands moving off of the classic typists “home” position. Since then, save for one disastrous purchase of an off-brand laptop, I’ve stayed with laptops that have the TouchPoint. Which, since TouchPoint is patented, means IBM or it’s successor, Lenovo, laptops only. I suspect that, despite the small size of the screen, this will accelerate my work in SketchUp.

Do I have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website I would like to link to or show off to the community on this forum? Not yet. Once my Tiny Home design is closer to complete in Sketchup, I may start one. And I will definitely start one if I should morph into an (occasionally paid) dynamic component developer.

Anything else I’d like to tell y’all? Yes, a few tidbits:

• I started using “Y’all” in 2013. That’s the year I stopped working by choice, and spent 5 months driving around the country, eventually meeting almost 70 old Twitter friends face to face! By the time I left the South, “Y’all” was cemented in my vernacular.

• I tend to get into WAY too much detail, at least from the POV of those I interact with. (This should now be self-evident from the length of this post!) It’s a function of how my mind works - I can’t help but dig into details of something that interests me (hence my calling myself a beginner at SketchUp despite having quickly created a dynamic component.)

• As a consequence, I’ve evolved into a consummate Devil’s Advocate. I can usually see all sides to a problem and can argue any POV, even if I don’t share it.

• My father was the same way. He was an Electrical Engineer, specializing in working with large electromagnets (think of particle accelerators.) At his retirement party, his co-workers gave him a plaque which describes his: “Notorious Engineering Ability to Find Problems With Any Known Solution” - In this, I am most certainly my father’s son.

Occasionally, I’m able to recognize that I’m giving TMI. Now is one of those times. I could add a lot more, but in the interests of brevity (in my personal framework), I’ll end here.

What’s your favorite emoji? The one that wasn’t used! Talk people - it’s not that hard!

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach? No. Watching a nice sunset from the beach - sure. I just don’t enjoy removing sand from my clothes, so I keep my exposure short.

Hope to meet many of you both in these forums and at Basecamp!

Steve

6 Likes

My goodness. Thats quite an introduction!

I’m intrigued to see how you’ll fit your threee screens into tiny living.

Hello btw

1 Like

@Scooter Hello! Re: 3 screens in tiny living: Actually, when I go tiny, I’ll only use two when docked at my desk. 2 Big ones mounted on the wall. While docked (thus enabling these two screens), I’ll configure things so that the laptop is closed, but I can’t put the dock in too small a space - when there are OS problems, it sometimes boots using the laptop screen and keyboard only - plus I have a fingerprint reader on the laptop which I use to secure it.

1 Like

I’m Mark. I’m a mechanical engineer with an interest in sustainable “intentional” communities (see the Fellowship of Intentional Communities at www.ic.org). I want to use Sketchup to propose a site plan for a cooperative community that I hope to start up in a few years somewhere in North Carolina or neighboring states with the help of investors who would be residents … the site plan being a start to attract people’s interest.

I’m a beginner with Sketchup but a professional with some other 3D CAD systems (notably SolidWorks). I find Sketchup’s interface to be friendly and intuitive. I have just installed Sketchup 2016 (having some installation problems which is why I’m joining the forum). My computer is a workstation laptop … an HP EliteBook 8760W with 32Gb of RAM, a Quadro 5010M video card (2 Gb dedicated RAM) and a 500Gb flash memory drive. I’m running Windows 7 Professional.

I have my own one-man company for mechanical engineering and design of machinery and products, but Sketchup would not really be useful for that.

SolidWorks is the 3D CAD I use for professional work, but it is not very useful for architectural work and rendering. If I can get done what I would like to do with Sketchup and attract some interest to the site plan I want to develop I envision buying the Professional version.

I like long walks on the beach, but I don’t do it much because I’m sun sensitive and hot natured I tend to stay in the shade in the summer.

2 Likes

My name is Luis. I am from Portugal. developer for AutoCAD using VB.NET. Use Sketchup for 3D developments
Kind regards

Luis

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites :smiley: )
Mark Henry from Eastern Ohio

What is your industry and profession?

I am a field engineer for a mechanical contractor in Western PA.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?

I use it heavily at work and recently designed my new garage at home with it.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…)
I use it because it is fast, easy and accurate.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?

I would say intermediate but I am sure in the large scheme of things I am probably closer to beginner.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?

I have never been to one before but I AM scheduled to go to the one this June 2016. Got my plane tickets and room all booked. Can’t wait.

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.172 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count)

I use windows 10 pro with 2016 Pro.

Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)

I have some models on 3DW but they are nothing to brag about.

What is your favorite Emoji?

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?

NO. why drive all the way to the ocean just to walk beside it?? Grab a board and run in the water! Even if it’s a boogie board.

Let’s get this party started! Woot!

2 Likes

Hello everyone. :doughnut: My name is Henry, and while new to the forum I am not new to the world of SketchUp, I can remember using it almost daily for about 7-8 years now since starting a degree in Architecture back in 2007.

I have used almost every commercial software out there for modeling and architectural design. SKP has been my favorite tool and I have never stopped using it.

Today I work for a large architectural firm using SKP on concept development and in combination with Revit and Acad for Construction Docs.

Currently testing for licencing as an Architect and using SketchUp at home for personal, fun projects. (hope to use sketchup entirely for a professional practice one day to be honest)

I would say I am advanced and have run into almost every problem any user could have for modeling with the exception of creating some super awesome dynamic components, and anything ruby based :scream: (fav emoji)

Just here to see where i can be useful on all the things i have learned and know with Skp, as well as dig around and learn these last two missing skills.

uh… i dont like the beach and use a SurfacePro3 at home, work PC is pretty corporate and clunky…I also use a pc i built ages ago but i dont know the specs, it just works alright…:no_mouth:

k thx see ya

2 Likes

My Name is Chara, You can call me Chara. Now I am in Architecture study in one of University in Indonesia. I use sketchup for pesonally and I bet I will use it when I am graduated then still. I love pull and push button in sketchup maybe. I use sketchup to make 3d of my design in Architecture like interior and etc… I bet I guess I am so beginner in Sketchup.

What is that 3dbasecamp, I dont even know about that before.
I use notebook. Lenovo with AMD and Intel graphic maybe it is 64-bit with windows 8 system, and I use sketchup 2015 and 2014, and sometimes google sketchup 8 because I need vray for rendering.

Hmm i have kept my portfolios, not too many, in my coroflot account, I share my 3d design there. you can check it in chara fitalika berlianas taqwiya, Chara in Malang, Indonesia
I think so many things that I should learn about sketchup and I think it is the right place. so, let’s go on and shaing. thank you! :smile:

3 Likes

Hello, my name is Mauricio and I been using SketchUp since two years buy just casual.

I am very interested in the Shadows function, aplicated in Arquitecture.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m Chris from Switzerland.

I’m an engineer and work a lot with architects.

I use Sketchup personally. Most interested into modeling existing buildings. Also into energy simulations.

I’m just a beginner and discovering a lot new cool things!

I was impressed by the photo behind drawing.

What is my favorite emoji? :wink:

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach?..in Switzerland it is difficult, because there is no beach… :wink:

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites :smiley: ) My name is David Gaddy
•What is your industry and profession? Professionally I’m a computer nerd…
•Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I use Sketchup to do scenic designs for our local community theatre
•Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…) Can’t possibly say any one favorite thing, but being able to see every angle of a piece of scenery from any location is awesome.
•How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? past beginner but not beyond intermediate (that’s why I’m here)
•Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? What’s a Sketchup 3DBasecamp?
•What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.204 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) Current setup? Using 1 of three available Windows 10 laptops, have another 2 desktops at my fingertips both with dual screen 24" HD monitors, SU2015 all round.
•Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Not yet.
•Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) I once saw a shadow which I tried to model in Sketchup but I forgot to turn off shadowing in the component and it charged into a endless loop of shadows on shadows and it was really scary and dark (as shadows are want to be!) and I was just about to suck face with my inhaler when mom turned on the light and shouted, “Get out of the basement and go to school ya freakin delinquent!” She loved me just that much…
•What is your favorite Emoji? :beers:
•Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Beach? You mean the sandy strip of safety separating us from the sharks? Nooooooo I stay far far away!
:fish:

1 Like

THIS is 3DBasecamp!

1 Like

Who are you, who, who?
Mark

What is your industry and profession?

Land development, landscape architecture, civil engineering.

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Personally

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
Graphics and intuitive production interface

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
Beginner

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
No.

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.205

Latest SU Make as of January 2016

In development.

Anything else you would like to tell us?
I am looking to apply programmatic control to SketchUp and AutoCAD interoperability, so this is a research aid.

1 Like

Hello One and All,
I am Cheong, a DoP by profession, dealing mainly with television commercials and a bit of feature films. I have seen SketchUp at work and have been very impressed by the performance and that there are so many things and applications that one can use it for. I would have liken this introduction of this magnificent software to the invention of Steadicam by Mr Garret Brown to the filming community. But regretfully for me, being a computer illiterate, still have taken the opportunity to learn more and get to use it on a personal basis. This is my first step and I am very sure that I will not regret taking it. I am definitely going to have a lot of fun on this journey… Many thanks to the creator/s and all of you on the board… Keep up the GREAT work…

I have just gotten a iMac… My favourite emoji :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I don’t stay close enough to the beach but don’t get me wrong… I love the great outdoors… So I am into tennis and more tennis, a lot closer too home…