Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Debbie Thomson - Architect - NW Tasmania - V Old.
I use SketchUp Pro 15 at work and home for quick studies and documentation of small projects.
At work is it a supplementary program as the guys use Revit for documentation. I find Revit cumbersome.
At home I use SketchUp for everything from design and documentation of my own house extension, quick master-planning to assist local groups in grant applications to designing and exporting files for yacht club trophies etc.
LOVE IT most of the time but Layout still has some issues.
WHAT future updates of SketchUp to include:

• The ability to draw with linetypes and coloured lines in 3D.
  • The ability to add luminosity and shine to materials.

Cheers
DebT

1 Like

Phillip Hawley - Insurance Agent - Houston, Texas - Semi-retired

Hi I’m Phillip. I started toying with SketchUp a few years ago (the free version - we are on a tight budget), but only started learning it in earnest this last year (and I still have a long way to go). My wife and I try and do what little we can for the local homeless population and the good folks at Trimble granted me a non-profit license for SU 2015 Pro last January.

I reclaim junk and try to turn it into useful projects. Sketchup has proven to be invaluable to the design process. I started with a variation of Homeless Emergency Shelter

…and went on to model many other projects, each a little more complex. Here is my current one, a micro-miniature/pop-top/small house/bicycle trailer made from discarded aluminum ladders, plywood and Coroplast:

I love SketchUp. Besides being so intuitive, it’s really a lot of fun. Just wish I was faster (and better :wink:) at it.

3 Likes

Hi. New to the forum. Trying to decide on SketchUp Pro from Google SketchUp. Got questions about hardware requirements, but of course they are not appropriate here. Love the apparent enthusiasm of users and have loved using SU so far.

1 Like

Hi
I am Goran from Sweden. I have used SketchUp since 2011. I am an amateur user who likes to design model railroad equipment and have them printed at Shapeways (NL), with various results I must add.
My reason for being here is very simple: I want to know when SketchUp will be Compatible with Windows 10.

Have Fun
Goran

1 Like

Hello All!

I’m a geriatric shepherd, small-farm farmer and woodworker/turner. I haven’t even downloaded SketchUp yet so won’t talk much about how I use it. :wink: Though, I can tell you that I will be using it to design and plan lots of “farm projects” — that’ll include everything from chicken coops to sheep feeders to grain bins.

My project of the moment is rebuilding the double doors covering the bulkhead access to our house’s cellar. I’ve pretty much finished the job but want to document the “plan” to make it easier the next time the job needs to be done.

I have been using AutoSketch for years. It is sort of “2D little brother of AutoCad” — li ke AutoCad it is exacting and demanding, detailed and complicated. I’m looking forward to learning SketchUp; its workflow appears to be a lot more intuitive than AutoSketch’s …as well as being a whole lot faster.

Thanks for having me! Jim

2 Likes

Hi
Keith is my name, I write embedded software for a living. You know, sprinkler systems, flight control, implantable medical devices…
I’m using Sketchup, the free version, to design a user interface panel for a home project that MAY turn into a real product. This thing is a suspension controller for a vintage motorhome ( mid 70’s ) that has rear air suspension. I manage the ride height for travel and camping.

The 3D part is the control panel. I want some nice 3d printed buttons that sit in the panel and activate buttons on the circuit board. I tried off the shelf buttons but they are big, clunky and ugly.

I’m really new to 3D printing and 3D modeling, but I see a lot of uses for it.
Here’s my button attempt :smile:

2 Likes

Hi, everybody.

My name is David and I am a hobbyist coder, web developer, and blogger. I could be considered a brand-new user of SketchUp. The last time I used it was about 3 years ago; I created some graphics for my blog, learned just enough to get the job done, and then didn’t touch it until now (enough time to forget what I learned). I presently have three or four more blog posts planned for which I will need some graphics; hence, my foray back into SketchUp.

I have SketchUp 8 (the free version from 3 years ago) on my computer. I don’t need a lot of bells and whistles; SketchUp 8 was sufficient to accomplish what I wanted, which is to illustrate some mathematical concepts. Remember conic sections from high school (circles, parabolas, ellipses, hyperbolas)? My blog is presently going through an analysis of these conics starting from the very basics–the conic section. The rough plan is to create a graphic showing a parabolic section. The next post is to generalize the concept to solids of revolutions. And then to examine a particular solid of revolution.It involves a lot of math, and will probably take a bit of time.

1 Like

Hi everyone…My name is Simon and i’m a relative novice using sketch up make.

I first picked it up 3 years ago when I was staying with a friend in London and we had a project on the go that included lasers. Anyway, I ended up modelling several different types of lasers in as much detail as I could, so no internal electronics, although I did try to model the onboard fans, failing at the blades.

I then went on to design a new worktable which I then built. Although it was a relatively simple structure, I had a feeling of immense pride when the last piece of the table top slotted perfectly into place and the spirit level showed it to be flat enough for purpose.

Anyway, i’ve recently downloaded Sketch Up make 2015 and i’m looking to use it for another real life project, namely a pack-down, live-in structure, mounted on the back of a trailer, so more like a mobile house, rather than a caravan.

I’ll be drawing several designs, some simple, others less so, so will be asking lots of questions as i’m hoping to go way beyond conventional block walls and into the realm of spirals and geodesic geometry.

Also, I love long walks on the beach, however, South West England is currently grey, wet and miserable, so I don’t expect to get my feet on the sand this side of next spring.

1 Like

Hi I am new here, but I used Sketchup 6,7 and 8 years ago. I want to ask where can I get latest version free for Windows XP 32 bit. I downloaded Sketchup 2015 Make but I could not installed it it tolds me it need Win 7,

1 Like

Who are you? I am Jason E.
What is your industry and profession? I am a Controls Engineer
Personally/professionally? Personally
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I am new to SketchUp. An old colleague of mine introduced me to it, so I want to learn how I can utilize it in my personal and work environment.
What is your current set up? Windows 7, SketchUp Make for now.
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? No.
Anything else you would like to tell us? No
What is your favorite Emoji? Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? LOL… Emoji?

1 Like

Hi All

My name is Gabriel, I have started using SketchUp since my girlfriend and I decided to build our house. I wanted to be able to visualize better what where discussing with the architect so I started building a model of our future house.

Reading and watching various tutorials online has already given me a good insight of how to use sketchup but I have much more yet to learn :smile:

Currently setup with an i7 + 8GB DDR3 RAM + Nvidia 680GTX + Windows 10 x64

Looking forward to learn more :smile:

1 Like

My name is Georgia Page.
I am an Interior Designer in South Africa.
I use SketchUp for my profession.
I use SketchUp for Furniture building and creating Interior design layouts, also because it is so easy and great to work with and reminds me of the Sims game LOL - Love SketchUp!
I would say I am an intermediate user.
I cannot afford SketchUp bootcamp but I like to watch videos and read forums to learn.
At the moment I am working on my work laptop - not bad nor amazing. It is:
Windows 7
Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5GHz
NVIDIA
17.3" HD LED LCD
6GB DDR3 Memory
750GB HDD
I would like to show models, but in time

I love to learn sketchup as it is my best program apart from artlantis haha I like the pretty side of design more than the technical, but sketchup is nice and easy at times with technical.

Helpful people on here too!

:grinning::yum:

1 Like

Hi there. I’m the developer behind the PlayUp Tools exporter (getting content seamlessly from SketchUp to various game engines). I’ve been working on it (on and off) for … 7 years now? I’ve lost count.

And after all of these years, I’ve finally decided it’s high time I get on the developer’s forum as it might save me a few headaches. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Residential design, father of amazons, big mountain skier, crappy small keel boat racer, prototype furniture maker, world traveller, heavy duty gardener, social being, new yorker reader, apple universe guy…
Aspiring auto cad 2d-sketchup 3d representer. Intermediate?

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites :smiley: )
Hey! I’m Richard, and I’m obsessed with everything Design.

What is your industry and profession? I’m a Kitchen designer by day, and web developer by night. Quite a busy chap, really.
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Personally - potentially professionally going forward - need to figure it out first!
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes…) I’m obsessed with interior design, and in the spare time I don’t have, I design what would be my dream home… one day, it will become a reality. I love everything that is design, and I love to see what people are able to create!

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Very beginner…
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Nope.
What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc. (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) 2 Screen Windows PC, on a desk… with keyboard and mouse… SU basic ‘Make’ version literally just downloaded.
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? I have one, but don’t quite feel I can ‘Show off’ , just yet!
Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) I started looking at Sketchup to see if I could find a tap model I wanted for my new house design… couldn’t find it so attempted my own upload - I have much to learn!

What is your favorite Emoji? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Only when it’s on the island of Fihalhohi, where it literally takes 10 mins to walk around the whole island, with stunning views all round! Other than that… Meh.

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? My name is Eu :slight_smile:
What is your industry and profession? Im an architect student
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? For the university
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? To make fast models to think my architectures
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Im a beginner
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Nope
What is your favorite Emoji? :3
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? I love photograph :smiley:

1 Like

Glad I got the invite to join.

Besides using a PC, I have access to an iMac, an iPad Mini2, and a Motorola Android phone.

Been using SU for quite along time (since SU2?) for technical illustration, preliminary design work, operations and maintenance manuals, presentations, marketing materials, and proposal graphics in the water/wastewater treatment industry. I use SU for the “fun” of it also; like a kid who builds model cars as hobby, I use it to “build” just about anything as a hobby. SU models were used for a couple of patent applications of friends as well.

I find there is so much that can be done with SU (think plugins) that there is always something to learn and PRACTICE regularly so I’d would rate myself a tad below an truly advanced user.

Some examples from Picasa Web Album: https://picasaweb.google.com/112281320796570797123/SketchUpVisitingProfessionalsProgramImagesMAYNOTBEPUBLISHEDWITHOUTPERMISSIONOFJClements#slideshow/5847098285163663010

I’ve attended every basecamp, including the one in the London, and looking forward to the one in Steamboat Springs in 2016.

1 Like

Hi. I have been using Make since before it was called Make (;P) I am a Cabinetmaker, have been since 1982, a beekeeper (10 years) carver, turner, luthier, etc. and draftsman using sketchUp, and there is still a lot that I don’t know about it. i use Sketch Up at home to draw things I might want to make. I have several models in the 3DW. look under LazyK or KaiSaerPren.
be well and count your fingers!
K

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? I’m Steve Kelem, a retired computer scientist in Los Altos, California
What is your industry and profession? I’m interested in the maker movement, doing CAD/CAM in wood.
Where do you use SketchUp? At home.
Personally/professionally? personally
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? I like the ease of use and the potential to write Ruby programs to create objects.
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? I guess I’m an intermediate. I’ve played with Ruby automation, but struggled to get it to work.
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? nope
What is your current set up? I’m running on a System76 laptop with an 8-core Intel 64-bit cpu. SketchUp version 16.
Do you have a 3DW page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Nope. Nothing to show off yet.
Anything else you would like to tell us? I have a ShopBot Desktop CNC, and am building a bigger CNC.
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? I enjoy exploring tide pools more than just walking on the beach.

1 Like

Hi, I am a student, is there a cheaper version of Sketchup

1 Like