Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hi there.
My name is Claire OÇonnell and I home school all three of my sons. My middle son, Ferdia, has ASD with a severe language delay but his visual spatial skills are good. So we started him on SketchUp earlier this year.
To date, he is self taught and creating some good buildings and scapes from his imagination. But I would like to get him involved in a “tutorial” to help ensure that he is learning in a thorough fashion, without “holes”. I have looked at your videos which are great and am going to start him on them, As language is a barrier for him, we will do it with the volume down and I will try to check if he is missing any of the info. So what I’m wondering is, are there any “lessons” or suggested “projects” which I give him to follow instructions to help him learn and where I can track his progress? I’m thinking that you may have some good suggestions for us rather than me trying to re-invent the wheel.
For your remaining questions above, I’ll answer as best I can here:

• Industry = educating autistic teen with view to him being involved in architectural industry as an adult, he has a definite flair for 3D and building/design
  • Using SketchUp for educational project
  • His favorite thing would be creating buildings modeled on film\imaginary scenes, I can figure out some ways to show if you’d like…
  • Proficiency = beginner
  • Have not been to 3D Basecamp, would love instruction
  • Currently using SketchUp 2015, Pro version I believe, good computer/graphics card, will have to get my IT expert (= eldest son) to answer any questions on this…
  • Will set up a page for him this week to show models, perhaps a blog, or is there some method you would suggest/prefer?
  • He is proficient in Dysney Infinity, building complex movie scapes, may sound unimportant but it was his skill in that which led us to following this up with SketchUp and the idea of it leading into a profession.
  • Loves the beach…!
2 Likes