V-Ray 3.0 for SketchUp

I would love to beta test Vray. I use Sketchup daily on MacOS from Products to properties.
The new grass feature would be interesting. Indoor lighting and emitters.

• j-away

@all - thank you to all of you who joined us during the private testing phase of V-Ray 3 for SketchUp! In case you missed the news we are now in public beta. Head over to V-Ray for SketchUp – rendering software for SketchUp | Chaos, click on join the beta, make and account and apply and you should get an email with in a few minutes with information regarding the beta. Let me know if you have questions. Enjoy! This is one of the most exciting versions of V-Ray for SketchUp yet and there is more to come before we release the final version.

P.s. The beta supports SketchUp 2017

1 Like

Hi Corey,
I am an “old SketchUp user”… working as an Architecture Faculty professor. My students are very keen in using and learning new “rendering engines”. Me too, I have to emphasize. I would really like to test a new V.ray for Windows… I hope you will make a favor to me - 'cause “good words” about it could be “spread around”… :wink:

Hello Corey, I know this is a fairly old post but I wanted to check whether you are still interested in having mac users to test Vray 3

Hi I would like to be part of this if possible… I use rendering quite often thanks, Manny.

Hey guys, V-Ray 3.0 has been released!

1 Like

Your link takes us to this forum. Would www.v-ray.com be better?

This might be better: https://www.chaosgroup.com/news/v-ray-3-for-sketchup-is-here

Oops! Linked to the wrong post! I fixed.

Just trying to let people know that they have released… I am assuming that beta testing is done!

1 Like

Has anybody else used the official release? I purchased a license on release day and it seems they have removed half of the settings that were available in the most recent beta… its terrible in my opinion, cannot render more than 1 prepass no matter what i change the subdivisions to, so slow compared to the beta, and the GUI is so bare and simple now that they have removed everything, why didn’t they give us an option at installation to include additional settings, you cant even manipulate camera zoom anymore, or change the render sequence, it sucks!
I’m really hoping it is a bug because i am left without a render engine until this is sorted, even on the highest possible settings and noise threshold on 0.001 i am getting too many blotches and noise all over my images rendered at 5K.

I have tried to remove everything completely and perform a clean install on both Vray and sketchup 2017, but to no prevail.

They have webinars coming up, if you don’t find an answer before then: Free webinar: V-Ray 3 for SketchUp | Chaos

I don’t think the problem is Vray side.
You may want to check the V-ray for Sketchup Manual: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAYSKETCHUP

that doesn’t explain why they have removed half of the settings and why it will only render 1 prepass though?

Maybe this topic is not the proper one for this question but i want to try my chance. Vray3 Batch rendering is being inactive in some of my model files. And i couldn’t find any logic for that. When i save as my model like …ver3 the batch rendering going inactive. But still active in previous saved file …ver2

The difference between these to saving is just adding new details proxies cars… etc.
I try to erase all the scenes and add them again. But still inactive.

Why this can be happen? Any reasonable idea will be great for me. I will try all the suggestions.

Thank you for your interest.

Hi lemuriarch, it’s best to email support@chaosgroup.com with a file and steps to reproduce the problem you are having. Let our team know if you are using the trial version or commercial version, what version of SketchUp, etc.

Hello lukeoslavia, it’s best to get caught up with the conversations that we had here. Essentially, if there are settings that you can’t live without please let us know. There were simply many legacy settings that were not relevant to the modern architecture of V-Ray.

After many years using Vray, I gave up on it a few months ago, and moved to Thea Render … but after attending a Vray 3 webinar a couple of days ago, I’d like to give Vray another try.
My question: Can I run 2 different copies of Sketchup Pro 2017 on the same computer (I have a license) — so I can test Vray with a separate Sketchup … so the materials, etc. don’t get mixed/ messed up? I’m guessing it’s not advisable to run both in the same Sketchup copy. I tried installing a second Sketchup copy in a separate applications folder today … and it overwrote the original Sketchup … so if there’s a way to have 2 copies, there must be a trick to accomplishing that.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

if you move SU to your ‘User’ Applications folder, you could set up a second user account and install a second version of SU in there…

john

Thank you very much, John.
I will try that now.

I tested V-Ray 3 myself and from what I’ve seen it hasn’t messed up the materials. However the latest version changes the aspect ration settings as soon as you use it and make big gray boxes cover parts of the viewport. To get rid of those you have to go to the Output settings in the Asset Editor (the same place where you change resolution) and disable safe frames. I’ve asked Chaos not to mess up peoples models like this but besides that specific issue V-Ray 3 hasn’t tried anything funny with my SketchUp copy. I have installed in the copy I use for work.

Have you experienced earlier versions of V-Ray messing up materials and other things inside SketchUp?