Unable to fill the gap in the curved face

What’s really odd is that while scaled up, you can push pull the clearly non planar face. There are some errors in the model that can be exposed by using “fix model” in the model info window. I’m not sure if fixing is the best course of action though.

Shep

No. But it will probably be worse in the long run not to repair it… :wink:

Color by Axes can be very misleading.
It has a very broad tolerance to off-axes geometry.
It’s nowhere near accurate enough to detect geometry off-axes in such small increments.

Here, the Query Tool is your best friend for investigating what’s wrong.
(We keep hoping the SU Team will put just it and Point at Center back in the download where they belong.)

-Geo

2 Likes

Yes, but I think this is true and helps here?

• If a line is black, it’s not parallel to an axis
  • If a line is red, green, blue, the line is parallel or nearly parallel to an axis

Here, the first point is enough to show the problem of the model.

I would say practically useless when diagnosing these types of small errors.

Shep

1 Like

Fellow Sage @Wo3Dan has pointed this out many times in the past.
Of course, Dutch Structural Engineers are known to be rather precise.
But not overly so… :wink:

-Geo

Thank you Shep for your feedback… Sometimes if I apply “fix model” many components will be affected by this change which requires me to change my modeling plan again.

Thanks again for your great reply.

Ali

Actually, I found the comment from Mr. Cotty was very useful to me to just change the style of the edge display to axis by color, then I changed the model scale and used the move tool to move the vertex and finally became co-planer faces… Great job, indeed.

I will try to install the plugin (Query Tool) to check its scope of capability to create faces for all types of shapes and not only square as some users were complaining in the Plugin Page’s comments.

Appreciating your excellent reply and I hope the two mentioned tools will be included in the download page or even in the native tool bar in latest SU version.

Hey friends,

I would like to share this useful video tutorial that demo the key solution to fix the co-planer faces using two nice techniques:
1- Styles → Edit → Axes by color (Then removing the extra segment of the longer edge).
2- After deciding which edge is the longer, using the move tool to move the vertex to make it parallel to the opposite vertex by hovering the mouse on other vertex.

Enjoy watching this useful Video, click here.

Take care,
Ali

But, as suggested by @Geo and @Shep you should only use this in one direction:
- line is black, not parallel
because the other way round:
- line is colored and line is parallel
isn’t always true because of the mentioned tollerances.

Yes, I agree with you and I have tried all the possible options on the geometry… Sometimes, even though both edges are let’s say (RED) but are not parallel… may just less with 1mm (was confusing)… it will be normal with more practice. Thank you for your usual support in this forum.

Take care,
Ali

It might be useful to have a plugin wherein you click on an edge and if it were truly on axis, would change color to red, green or blue (even temporarily). This would be a bit faster than watching the coordinates in the query tool.
Make sense to anyone?

Shep

1 Like

I agree completely with you and I’m not sure if Sketchup team can consider it as strong suggestion to be enhanced in the future or one of the developers to consider it in his plan to create a new plugin.

Thanks.

Many of the issues are there are a number of edges which have not been intersected properly ( at wrong vertex) thus causing the intersection with the adjacent vertex causing the line to be out of plane. You can easily see this by rendering your model in wire frame and then selecting a edge and the line will not stop where expected showing a non intersection where it should be. Primarily at the gap. The area you flagged in your OP would be a good place to start to see that. Also the gaps have not been intersected properly. That is hard to see since they are so small with respect to you model. Use a section plane and it can be seen very easly and because gap is so narrow it is hard to select correct vertices unless you are very careful. You have a lots of redrawing to redo:(

Off-Axes modeling errors are pretty much the realm of new user’s inattention to Inferencing

Instant feedback from the Inference Engine tells us if we’re on-axes as we draw.
Shift and arrow key Inference Locking constrains the tool to the selected axis.

A modest programmable mouse makes inference locking a seamless, one-hand operation.

-Geo

To kick the can down the road some more: Su is a 32 bit app now, but will probably chage when MS goes to 64 bit in total ~Windows 10. That ( 32 B) means SU trades precision for range of numbers and the present precision is 7 digitis +. Therefore given the inference engine must have some tolerance for its delecrations it reports it is not always correct so, it would help you to spend some time reading and watching videos on its ( inference engine) use . This model will be a good learning experience for you. There are some small dimensions in you model and some times scaling it up say by ~ x10=>x100 can help and then scale back down when you are done.
Gday

The tolerances are not OS related and would not change with 64bit.

I will read more about (inference engine)… for me, I have applied exact measurements using the reference lines… but anyway, I should revise it well using your comments.

Thanks.

Tolerance may not change, unless Su wants to undo some of the games Google played with conversion I responded too several years ago. Sixty four bit gives you less graduality on the number axis and greater precision vs the ~24 bits you get with a 32 bit float.

1 Like