To all the folks that have helped me

Thank you to all that have helped me, i have made my first engineering part, using push/pull, section plane, with dimensions, offsets, pan, line, color bucket, tape measure and guides, groups.

Is it perfect-NO, my sketch will give me a pretty good working idea how to make this part on a lathe.

Again, thanks to youtube for all the tuts, and to the sketchup community for all your help and consideration.

Jack G

2 Likes

And to Tut, the Boy King, I say, ā€œThanks for all the cool artifacts.ā€

-Gully

1 Like

Ha, Ha!!!

King Tutankhamen (or Tutankhamun) ruled Egypt as pharaoh for 10 years until his death at age 19, around 1324 B.C. Although his rule was notable for reversing the tumultuous religious reforms of his father, Pharaoh Akhenaten, Tutankhamenā€™s legacy was largely negated by his successor

A playful lad, here he is seen cavorting with some of his courtiers:

-Gully

1 Like

I really like the shoes these folks are wearing, and an Egyptian band, playing sounds of sand, Iā€™m sure

ā€œā€¦buried in his jammiesā€¦ā€

here hereā€¦ I too received incredible help from this community and just sent my first prototype to be printed in castable wax.

1 Like

Rick

I truly hope your casting in wax turns out perfectly

the first timeā€¦

jack

Well thank you. I have casted a few times before in my makeshift shop, so I should be OK. I use old school centrifugal casting which is great because itā€™s fairly difficult to screw up. Iā€™m a teacher by day but make jewelry as a hobby and possible retirement plan.

As for King Tut, I once saw the exhibit on loan. It was amazing. Iā€™ve seen a lot of large gold artifacts because I live on the ā€œTreasure Coastā€ where the 1715 fleet went down in a hurricane. Someone just found a 40 foot long gold rope and 1 million in escudosā€¦

But anyways, King Tutā€™s exhibit still surpasses anything else Iā€™ve seen. I really liked his solid gold knife. Who doesnā€™t need a solid gold knife in the afterlife?

Hi Rick,

Then you could make ā€˜waxā€™ tree, and make many copies at one timeā€¦ please let me know how your casting turns out.

Jack g

Yeah, I include a sprue as part of the item I am currently going to make.

And you are correct, a wax tree is the way to go but here is whyā€¦

Shapeways will charge 10 dollars just as a handling fee for each 3d printed wax item, then they just add a cost for the volume of wax. This is normally only 3 dollars.

But letā€™s say I want to make a marine/ship center stud link chain and I need like 40 wax models. I sure as hell canā€™t pay shapeways to print me 40 different small waxes. So you are right, if I make a wax tree of say, 20 of the anchor chain links all as one model, (must be within the 75mm X 50MM bounding box), then shapeways will only charge me 10 bucks plus the volume of the wax.

I think this is still cheaper than paying an old school mold making company, and I donā€™t have wax injectors anyways.

Here is a picture of the ring Iā€™m going to cast. Sorry for the terrible photo, my office computer has a crappy graphics card so it canā€™t even render the shapeways preview of the model. But you get the picture of the sprue.

You probably did this, Iā€™d check to see if a local college has a jewelry program, they would have a wax injector, then make a bronze casting, then make a silicone wax mold, then you could make wax copies for ever. And make many trees, keep the tree stud short, when I cast a tree, keep everything hot, have good vacuum, as soon as the parent metal hits the mold it will start cooling, the longer the tree of parts, there is a greater chance of the parts further from the pour cone not getting molded.

Centrifugal, everything is hot and the spring loaded, pour as hot as you can, flip the latch, stay out of the way when it spins.

All from experience.

Nice looking ring youā€™re going to cast.

Suppliers

Check out Otto Frie in California, they carry most everything for jewelers.

I will look into that. I donā€™t think the big college here in Brevard has jewelry classes but maybe in Orlando there are. Otherwise, itā€™s 100 bucks to send my models to get them made into molds.

Thanks for the tips!!

Everything is soooo expensive.

Maybe look on Alibaba, in china, Iā€™ve bought stuff from them.

Iā€™ll be happy to help you in any way that I can.

Jack g

Hmm, for a solid gold knife, best practice demands that we run two tests to verify its authenticity:

• Thom Thomā€™s Solid Inspector to see if itā€™s really solid
  • An assay to see if itā€™s really gold.

-Gully

1 Like

Everything is better with lots of money,

I am not so sure about the afterlife.

Anssi

Anssi, I agree with you