Tips, Hints and Guidelines for working with SketchUp

Oh yea, forgot about wood grain! True that.

This is a great conversation, and the context in which you are teaching of course has a lot of influence on what might be emphasized.

A few other thoughts for consideration that we see newbies to SketchUp trip over in live classes or their own self-learning.

• If they are new to 3D in general, they don’t learn to navigate well and don’t do it enough.
  • How to use groups and components can vary, but we definitely recommend that raw geometry is placed in a “container”, one or the other. Anyone have a strong case for leaving “raw” geometry out there and not grouping it?
  • Anyone else run into the click-move-click issue when teaching SketchUp? That in using your mouse you’ll have much better success if you learn quickly to click to start and click to finish every operation that allows for such functionality. (Eraser or freehand tool being obvious exceptions) but learning inferencing, move, etc… works better if you don’t hold that darn button down.
  • Using the ESC key and Undo function properly to get out of “trouble”.
  • Everything in SketchUp is drawn with real dimensions, regardless if they are taking control, so learning to take control of accuracy is important.
  • I think one of the key concepts that people don’t realize is that as quickly as you can get going in SketchUp, it still takes a real time commitment to use well, and far more to master.

Some repeat thoughts I’m adding in here, but I love this discussion on common tips and misunderstandings.

1 Like

Not “leaving” it out there, but when creating 2D construction shapes on top of existing (grouped) geometry I tend to leave them ungrouped and all on layer 0 until I’ve created the 3D element. (normally drawing a profile so that I can “follow me” to make an element)

If I create the group first from a simple rectangle that i will move, draw on, cut, etc. then any time I want to double click on the new geometry (so that all the connecting edges are selected) all that happens is I enter the existing grouped geometry instead. If I lock the underlying group, hide it or work out there, then double clicking will do what I want.
After I’ve generated the element I draw a selection box round it and group it.

Another tip: space bar is a shortcut key that reverts back to the selection tool: saves a lot of mileage on mouse movement.

I’m not sure about this file size thing. I’d like to hear some expert testimony. Here’s an earlier comment.

Shep

Beneath the covers, both Groups and Components use the same ComponentDefinition structure to “own” their Entities. When you copy a Group, SketchUp leaves both the copy and the original wired to the same ComponentDefinition, just as if you made another instance of a Component. So there is only a modest overhead difference in memory used so long as all copies of the Group are left unedited. The significance of the difference will depend on how many Entities are in the object - more Entities means the overhead is relatively less important.

When you edit a copy of a Group, it is split off to a new ComponentDefinition. So the effect is as if you did “make unique” before editing a Component. In other words, the memory difference remains minimal so long as you are modeling the same number of distinct objects.

So the choice of Groups vs Components isn’t really a matter of significant memory savings unless you use them badly. It is a matter of what you are most likely to do with them later.

1 Like

or put another way as steve beat me to it…

for 100 unopened groups, SU records 100 positions for one set of geometry, without the other info used by components, [a tiny amont] so it will be a slightly smaller file, than 100 [identical in geometry] components…

open one of those groups and SU will record two sets of geometry, and the same 100 positions…

for each group you open SU will add an extra set of geometry [even if identical to the others], but will still record 100 positions…

if you never intend to open any of your 100 groups then the file can be smaller than using 100 components…

if you alter or even open all 100 groups it will be a much larger file then the 100 components…

for file size, the major advantage of components over groups is they can share any changes, so you can modify all but still only have one set of geometry at 100 position increasing file size by only one set of your change…

but for 100 individual groups with the same geometry, you have 100 sets of geometry at 100 positions…

add 10 edges to you component and the file adds ten edges…

add ten edges to 100 groups and the file adds a thousand edges + the number of edges in the original group X 100…

john

1 Like

Some adjustments and new ones

• All objects should be modeled close to the axis origin to avoid camera clipping plane issues. Clipping can also occur when working in parallel projection mode.
    New ones
  • Use Save as Copy instead of Save as to keep the original file naming when making regular backups.
  • To avoid face flickering or z-fighting, try raising up, deleting or hiding one of the faces that is on the same plane.
  • If you see cursor trails appearing when working with large models, consider turning off Fast Feedback in the OpenGL preferences or updating your video card drivers.
  • When sending SketchUp files to others, get to know what version of SketchUp are they using. Earlier version of SketchUp can’t open newer version files
  • If you want to use the scenes from 3D Warehouse models open them separately instead of inserting them in your working file as a component.

I think I’ll be just editing the first post to show the complete list with the changes in the comments

Another bad thing about you can’t stress enough is that every component you use in the model is saved in it until purged. That’s how you always get those 100-200mb models that you later can cut down to just a few.

What could you do in SketchUp to “break” the model?

Huh? …

Please explain your question.

For instance - a problem that I understand is attributed to material names being identical, when the model materials change when you select the Paint Bucket tool.

That also brings up some questions that bug me:

Why you sometimes can’t position a texture of a face, but you are allowed to do it when the group containing the face is exploded?
(While testing this right now I understood that it is caused because the material was applied to a group and not to a face, so that’s another reason to avoid painting groups)

Why do the texture coordinates sometime change when a group is exploded?

In some cases, when I try to move copy a line I can just show the direction and enter the distance value to copy the line, but in other cases, when the lines I’m copying are in a closed loop, I must first create a copy and only then enter the distance value. Whats the logic behind that?

Almost all list items have been updated in the first post.
Finally did some spell checking, could still use some help on style and wording.
Still looking through all the great replies on how to improve.
I’ll be adding the images to items about clipping, face flickering, missing faces and cursor trails as these are so common problems.

I’ll start on working on the sheet design now.

Here is another tip I’m thinking to add.

Backface color bleeding
When displaying models without edges, you may see backface colors appearing at the object profile edges. Consider changing the color of the backfaces to something similar as the whole object to minimize the effect.

1 Like

I see you’ve changed the thread title, how about even less intimidating and make it. Tips, Hints and Guidelines…

1 Like

That might just be the way it’s evolving now.
I just didn’t want the topic to be populated with too many general tips and tricks at the start. Hence the limiting “rules”

Everything must be drawn to full scale, also. Meaning, if it is a car or a tree, it should be drawn at full length of 17’-6" OR 34’ high. I have seen too many 3D warehouse items that are drawn to please, not to scale.

Please add SCALE to your list. All items should be drawn to full scale: 1:1.

I think that the problem is in taking models from the warehouse that are drawn to one scale and importing them into a model that is drawn at another - 1:1 drawn in imperial measurements (inches & feet) came in at the completely wrong scale when imported into a 1:1 metric model (meters & millimeters) 1’ ≠ 1m 1" ≠ 1cm

I’m not sure if this has been fixed - an automatic reading of the scale/units and conversion when imported ?

Part of the problem is that several CAD file formats do not carry any units information. So either the user sets the scale during import, or SketchUp assumes one unit in the file = one unit in SketchUp.

Thank you for the enlightenment. I have only spent time in one metric centric country “down under” and fell in love with the Metric system, but typically I am locked into “inches & feet”. Interestingly enough, I draw all of my site plans in AutoCAD at 1:1 scale using the decimal system (1 = 10 and all of the architects typically use 1 = 12, so there is a lot of converting going on). Go figure. So, maybe there is some way of including up front the units inherent in the drawings or models. The beauty of SU is the scalability of anything, but when the pressure is on, time to figure that out is only less effort for other items.
Any thoughts on this somewhat incommodious issue?

You realise that things are really easy to scale up/down? -
The tape measure can be used to measure a distance, then if you over-write that distance you are telling the program what it should be and it will scale the selected (or the model, depending on the selection)
You can also use the scale tool: although it displays a % value, you can type in a size and it will stretch that dimension to the size you wanted. It also snaps, so you can draw a line and snap to it.

Thank you. I am just hoping that for the newer users, it would be a little
more intuitive. sometimes at junctures like this, great input moves things
in a positive direction. Every drawing should contain 3 things; north
arrow for way finding purposes (in as much as I am a landscape architect,
it is important to know cool sides from warm sides and which plants grow on
which side including solar gain and all of its inferences; scale, so that
quantities will be accurate; and date,so you know that you are using the
latest iteration with the most recent changes.
I use SU for presentations, but then, if drawn at full scale, all of the
quantity take-offs are accurate and the bids are easier to estimate. All
of these wonderful features are built into this most exciting 3D drawing
software that I have ever come into contact with. I have taught my
grandkids (age 7 and 15) to draw in SU and they just can’t leave it alone.
The creative level is rising because they do not fight the technology so
much. I have taught them how to make 2D face-me figures of themselves and
they go into their models, just like Alfred Hitchcock used to cast himself
into his movies.
Landscape Architects never die, they just draw their last breath.