SU 2017 Install Breaks WebDialog in SU 2016?

CORRECT.

I have spoken about this repeatedly here in the forums (and elsewhere in private,) for several years.

On the PC (under MS Windows,) the SketchUp installer (or any application installer for that matter,) can set a FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION version attribute in the registry for a particular executable name.

The SketchUp installer has thrice (that I know of) set this attribute globally for “sketchup.exe”. (If the executable names were differenced for each version, say “sketchup17.exe” then we wouldn’t have this nor the “competing double-click problem.”)

Most recently the SketchUp 2017 installer has upped the version number to 0x2AF8 (11000), which is the setting for IE 11.

• They did this because most 3rd party web services were all dropping support for older IE versions, and providing features that only work with the latest HTML5 capable browsers.

With the SketchUp 2015 release, that no longer supported XP (which was limited to MSIE 8 maximum,) the browser emulation version was raised to 0x270F (9999) which was for MSIE 9.

• Recently, Google Maps began displaying a version warning for MSIE below version 10,… that users needed to update their browsers. SketchUp users began seeing this in the native Add Location feature dialog.

Prior to SketchUp 2015 the version was likely set at MSIE 8, 0x22B8 (8888).

The emulation setting may also have been changed sometime in the SketchUp 7 cycle as that major version dropped support for Windows 2000 (which I think initially may have come with MSIE 6. Can’t remember exactly.) But the Feature Control attributes were not always available that far back, (in terms of IE versions.) I think they may have been added for IE8.