Square block with hole and I want to cut it a 45 degrees

Problem Angle.skp (34.7 KB)

I’m trying to cut the angle of the component at the origin across the line shown. The others are experiments from boxes reply. No success! No idea what i"m doing wrong.Problem Angle.skp (43.1 KB)

The edges need to form a face, so by joining your two angles with a straight line across the face a face appears which can then be intersected.
You refer to components when in fact it is raw geometry.
A component is a specific wrapped group of geometry, so be careful of your wording.

1 Like

I take your point about raw geometry. You make it look so easy but I’m really not sure what you’re doing. I think I understand to the part where you select the part and then intersect faces with selection. Not sure what you are doing after that. Are you deleting? Just cannot do what you are doing. Very frustrating!

Perhaps you could write out what you are doing. Appreciate your help, thanks

I’m just selecting and hitting the delete key on the keyboard.

I did it thank you so much. Check it out and see if I did it correctly. Problem Angle.skp (32.3 KB) Just gotta practice.

Well done.
Mind you there is still a face missing down the hole between the two circles.

Thank you so much for your patience. I did it in a fashion, but I did notice that the inside of the counter bore is transparent, Not sure why! I’ll just have to keep practicing and maybe find some videos about the intersect function. Thanks again.

Time to sleep
Problem Angle.skp (32.3 KB)

Just so you know, that face isn’t transparent, it is missing.
Here is one way to do the whole thing with tools and no keyboard shortcuts.

3 Likes

Guess I’ll have to watch this a number of times to perfect. Why is your toolbar different than mine? I tried to find what you have, but could not find them. See attachment.

The icons have changed slightly from SU 8 to SU 15. They do the same thing though. Not really sure why you are learning on such an old version.

Hi Mandobrit, hi folks.

You mentioned a component. If your object is indeed a component, double click it first to enter its context. Then you can edit it as shown by Box.

Just ideas.

Jean

Two more ways, if the creatin of that intersectiong face is less simple…

1. with a section cut

2. if you need this function often, you should have a look at Extension | SketchUp Extension Warehouse ($) to speed up the process…

just one more after dinner mint…

Thank you so much to everyone for their help. So interesting to see the different ways to approach a problem. You all make it look so easy.----mandobrit

Hi! I have a question according the videos shown in a lot of threads here at the community.Which tool is used to record sketchup videos.

I use licecap, it’s free and cross platform…
the downside is I can’t capture the top menubar on my mac…
john

For Win you can search for GifCam or ScreenToGif for example.

Thanks I did not know the animations is gif files.

I have found ScreenToGif ver. 1.4.2, and it seems to work fine. Thanks for your replay.
https://screentogif.codeplex.com/