Solid Inspector²

The second version of Solid Inspector² is now available!

It features better information about each error and offer to automatically repair many of the issues it detects.

Note that this version is compatible only with SketchUp 2014 and newer. If you have an older version you must continue to use the old version with less features.

Need Help?

State your SketchUp version, OS, and any error messages you might be faced with. Sample models and screenshots also helps greatly to resolve problems.

11 Likes

What an excellent new version.

1 Like

It looks awesome. Thank you.

I broke it on this gentleman’s model: Print-ready 3d?

The first thing to note is how much longer the third base takes to analys in spite of being very similar to the first 2 selected bases.

Then I get an error after some time on the boat.

1 Like

A slight bug here too.
Ran it on a model someone wanted fixed a while back, it finds a few small faces saying they are reversed but they aren’t.
If you ‘fix’ them it wants to fix them again.
I can PM the model to you if you want to see.

1 Like

Yes please. I need more sample models. I’m not surprised that tiny faces cause issues. When you get close to SketchUp’s tolerance you get all kinds of unexpected and unpredictable results.

1 Like

Thank you for the video. It helps greatly to identify what’s going on. I see in the message in the console there that it warns about a Degenerate Face. I didn’t have a case on hand to test that scenario, but I suspect that is related to the final error.

I should add a general error rescue and present that to the user.

I’ve also got on my list to add some progress indication. Analysing can be very slow on larger meshes. Probably have a timeout (poor workaround until we can figure out a non-blocking progressbar with Cancel button.).

Some errors needs to be iteratively refined in order to resolve. So some meshes will be faster, some will be slower depending on their construction.

(Edit: In this case I think the extra time is due to raytracing being used to analyse the model - and the third one you tested was directly under the boat component. This might have made the raytracer process more entities. Notice that when you remove the boat it’s much faster.)

Great update, thank you!

1 Like

@jim_foltz and @Box - I have dug into the reversed face detection algorithm and made some changes that greatly improved processing time as well as making it more robust and eliminated all the false positives in the models you provided. Thanks for the feedback and keep an eye out for an update after the New Year. :slight_smile:
(Or poke into the BitBucket repo :wink: )

Well done Thom, I won’t be poking around in anything now for a while, down to just a phone and sentenced to Transportation to the other end of the globe tomorrow.

Box, have A Nice Trip!

Cheers Cotty, will do. Look after Deutschland for me, it will be strange not living here anymore.

Oh, you’re not just travelling for Christmas? You’re relocating home?

Yes, leaving Europe after 25 years and my house in Germany for 10 years. I’ve lived and worked all over, including up your way quite a bit. Now time to move back to Oz for a while.

Oz is high up on my list of places to visit. I’ll come knocking when I finally drop by. :wink:

And you’ll be very welcome. I used to work with a lot of Norgies so I know how you drink. I do miss Oslo, was a regular visit for me a couple of times a year but not been there for about 3 years now.

1 Like

Error Loading File C:/Users/simon/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/core.rb
Error: #<LoadError: cannot load such file – set>
C:/Users/simon/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/inspector_tool.rb:8:in require' C:/Users/simon/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/inspector_tool.rb:8:in <top (required)>’
C:/Users/simon/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/core.rb:11:in require' C:/Users/simon/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/core.rb:11:in module:SolidInspector2
C:/Users/simon/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/core.rb:9:in <top (required)>' C:/Program Files (x86)/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in require’
C:/Program Files (x86)/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in load' C:/Users/simon/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2.rb:41:in register_extension’
C:/Users/simon/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2.rb:41:in <module:SolidInspector2>' C:/Users/simon/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2.rb:15:in module:Plugins
C:/Users/simon/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2.rb:14:in <module:TT>' C:/Users/simon/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2.rb:13:in <top (required)>’
why?

ThomThom your so cool

1 Like

so if it looks like this does it mean im good?

No - there should be a smiley… :frowning: Something is amiss. If you open the Ruby Console before you use SI - do you see errors appearing?

Part of that error message is lost due to forum formatting. Can you edit your post, select the error text and mark it up as Pre-formatted?