So is that it - no more SketchUp for me?

I think you meant ‘uninstall’, and yes, that’s not uncommon if the application or folder name is the same. With SketchUp the folder name is changed, so you can keep old versions around.

I’m not positive it is like this with v2016, but normally you install the Pro version and get some time to try it out. If you don’t buy it, it would revert to being the free version.

Just installed 2016 Pro - it’s insisting on me adding a license, or cancel, when I open the program. :frowning:

donwload/install the functional limited Make version not the full-blown Pro version, at least if using it for non-commcerical purposes.

Unfortunately, Make 2016 isn’t available to download on that page, only Make 2017 which doesn’t work on my system.

won’t help much because more or less every better 3D modeler uses an accelerated display output processed by the graphics card and their driver (OpenGL/Direct3D)… but SU 2016 might be the solution because the accelerated display out can be disabled (= slow) if problematic.

for non-ENglish versions here.

Thank you! Downloading Make 2016 now.

I have OpenGL2 so it should easily be fast enough for the kind of modelling a beginner like me is doing. Come on - if GTA San Andreas could fun ok with all those 3D things, surely some very basic modelling would be a piece of cake. It’s not like I’m trying to model New York.

@ 5 FPS with all setting at the min.?

you not but others sothat system requirements cannot be case dependend… but apples with peaches anyhow, 3D modeling of precise geometry is something other than accelerated 3D throughput where unprecise objects don’t bother.

“@ 5 FPS with all setting at the min.?”

@25FPS at 1024x768 with most settings on medium. It’s playable, looks ok, bit of silly fun!

“3D modeling of precise geometry is something other than accelerated 3D throughput where unprecise objects doesn’t bother.”

Curious - software like Corel Draw throttles the rendering quality depending upon what you’re doing and how fast you’re moving things. I don’t even notice it doing it, because it’s so intuitive. Software like Sony Vegas renders things at low quality until you go for output - again throttling the render quality depending on the situation. Precision is more about calculation rather than rendering. I suppose I just assumed 3D modelling software would do the same, since you usually model in low quality then render in high quality as far as I know…

Corel and Vegas is 2D… the accelerated display output of 3D modelers is done by the GPU typically using the OpenGL industry standard. Cheap graphic subsystems integrated in and sharing RAM with the CPU are made for office/video/internet and regularly sub-par to dedicated graphics cards in performance as well as maturity of the OpenGL support, thus the system requirements (see above).

btw, you can quote either by selecting (a part of) the text and using the fly-out shown or by replying and using the quote tool (balloon icon at outer left).

Yes and no…

Corel is mainly 2D but does use hardware acceleration if available. It makes use of OpenGL2.
Vegas uses 3D - it has many 3D effects applied to video that are rendered in real time at a lower resolution than the final render, and again uses OpenGL or DirectX-3D. Most of the transitions that involve page curls, zoom in/out, rotating cubes, etc. are all rendered using OpenGL.

Laptops. Seriously, just look at the graphics card sizes and cooling required, and imagine trying to fit that in a laptop. Integrated graphics systems are much, much, smaller, and use less power, and are really the only sensible solution for portable computing. When you decide to only support higher versions of things like OpenGL without allowing fallback to lower versions, even if it means a big performance hit, you’re really making a decision to exclude laptop users. Whether that’s a sensible business decision is a debate for another time, but you can replace the graphics system in a desktop/tower very easily - laptops, not really an option most of the time.

should have be more specific, i.e. none of them are made for 3D modeling purposes.

surely not… actually no imagination required because countless notebooks with dedicated and capable graphics subsystems even for the small sizes are available… and even up to the workstation class series (Dell Precision, HP ZBook, Lenovo ThinkPad, Fujitsu Celsius etc.) with CAD GPUs (as e.g. nVidia Quadro) dedicated for a use with full-blown 3D ‘battleship’ modelers.

If you do not wanna profit of the advanced capabilities of OpenGL v3.0+ (transparency depth etc.) required by the recent (and future) SU versions, just stick with the predecessor version 2016, at least in the boundaries of their system requirements (OS).

1 Like

Sorry for the trap one would think checks are done before the old version is deleted.:unamused: I just yesterday deleted my old version of SU2017 make M2 because of some of the things broke in that release and was able to install and older version and did not lose anything. Thimngs work fine now , crossing fingers.
The openGL version that Trimble quotes for it is 3.3 but worded some thing at least , what they really test to ??.
Long time ago I decided to find out what is really in my system independent of what seller are pushing;

Suggest you download and run Fresh Diagnoses (Fresh Diagnose - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download )and it audit your total system and make report of what you actually have;

Download and run OpenGL ( GLView: OpenGL Diagnostics - RealTech VR )viewer and that will do same type of test. About OpenGL V 3.0 it was decided to no longer require its backward comparability . MACs did that at about 3.3 and caused some problems with their users. About same time a review board was established to allow users special changes to avoid that major step change. I have an older graphics card and although spec at 3.3 it test at higher than 4.0. You need to see if you can get update to your 2.0 system.

Su was also using a test program called Speecy (Speccy - Free Download) that you may check out
In mean time can you post your profile with the hardware and software configuration you have?
Good Luck

SU v2017 requires OGL v3.0+, SU v2016 requires OGL v2.0+.

Does that mean if they have 3.3 they are good to go??

So was this at the time I bought it. The point is they can’t be removed and replaced like you can with a desktop system. With a desktop, even integrated graphics can be overridden simply by plugging in a card. With a laptop, most of the time, even on the high end systems, the GPU is soldered to the main-board. The Dell Precision is unusual in offering a replaceable graphics card, but you still have to remove about 60 screws, the fans, optical drive, WiFi card, hard drive, keyboard, palm rest, trackpad, main CPU heat sink and fan assembly, and finally you get to the card! Hardly an easily upgrade.

I have never said nor meant this but replied to your:

which is simply wrong.

The older version of SU are fine. Time marching on and of course the latest version of SU is notable better than the previous versions.

Because of time/paying delays in upgrading my XP system, I needed to sit out the upgrade to SU15 until I assembled my latest computer. This reality happens and most people recognize this.

But when it comes to the time to upgrade/purchase a new computer, come back to this forum and look up @sketch3d_de posted system recommendations. He’s a German SU reseller who keeps up with hardware that best runs this and other software. His recommendations should get you though several years of SU upgrades. For whats it’s worth, I followed his recommendations at the time I purchased hardware for my latest desktop computer and will continue doing so.

2 Likes

No, I maintain that anything requiring dismantling most of the laptop, including heat sinks (which will then need proper cleaning and replacing paste) to upgrade, isn’t really an upgrade option than anyone except hardcore users with previous experience would attempt. Whether the GPU is part of the CPU or not, or whether it has shared memory or dedicated memory, integrated graphics systems are really the most sensible option for portable computing. That is why even most of the laptops you listed still have graphics integrated onto the mainboard (soldered) and do not use replaceable cards (slotted/socketed). Most laptops using the NVidia Quadro etc. still have the chip soldered to the board - that is integrated, not replaceable. I’m not even sure you could replace it with surface mount soldering - chips are rarely directly pin compatible.