SketchUp Pro 2018 is here

Hardly upgrades. Still awaiting better DWG import in SU. Will there ever be support for line weights, and hatches?

5 Likes

Filled section cuts is a big leap into that direction. Hopefully line weights and line stipple will be added in a future version.

4 Likes

Have you checked out the new DWG/DXF support in LayOut 2018? We support line weights and hatching on imported DWG/DXF files there now. Is there a particular reason why you would rather have support for hatching and line weights in SketchUp than in LayOut?

john

No UI update (at least on Mac), really?

Actually, SketchUp Pro 2018 includes the long-awaited Anti-Aliasing for Mac! Not sure if it “counts” as a UI update, but SketchUp looks better on Mac than ever before.

2 Likes

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: Sketchup 2019 Feature Requests

Also happy to have filled section cuts with this release. Hopefully we can get section fills with materials/hatches by entity in future versions.

1 Like

Is this a gradual rollout? In SU Pro 2017, it’s still saying that I have the most current version. Also, what happened to the direct download page?

Thx

SketchUp 2018 is a new install (as opposed to an updated version of 2017). You can find the download on our website.

If you’re a pro user, you’ll receive your update email in the next day or so. If you’d like to check out 2018 right now, you can use our license manager and download 2018 from our website.

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s the page I was looking for. I used the license manager and apparently, the license# has changed slightly for the updated 2018 version.

Agreed, filled section cuts is long over due…BUT…how did they not include hatching? It’s drafting 101…

2 Likes

To be fair it takes a lot of time and it can be a good idea to implement things in steps and get feedback in between from users.

I for one don’t want a separate, fill-specific hatch system build from scratch that users need to re-learn. Instead I think users should be able to paint Section Fills with any material, whether it’s a hash or something else. That in combination with support for vector textures could be used for 1) crisp vector hatches on fills, 2) any custom non-hatch texture on fills and 3) crisp vector patterns for any face, e.g. brick texture on a wall.

I don’t know how a hatch feature would have been implemented if it was done right away before first getting feedback from users.

4 Likes

http://download.skalp4sketchup.com/downloads/latest/
This is just a guess: because in the realm of things they need to support and prioritizing new features based on limited funds, personnel, and time, they had to make a business decision. It would seem that the best business decision was to let the Skalp team have what they needed for the release of SU 2018. Plus, Skalp is really good software, made by really good people, who stand by their product. I’m not sure I’ve ever had better customer service from anyone. That is just my opinion though.

Also, a decentralized development strategy clearly works for SketchUp, keeps their product lean, and allows them to focus on what they are best at. Considering that they are up against Autodesk, I think their strategy has worked incredibly well, allowing them to continue to expand their core product, and allowing the community to add to their product as they see fit.

I have my wishlist too though, I would love to see a little easier (i.e. with Sketch Up’s intuitiveness) parametric modeling capability. Not sure how to do it elegantly, but I would love to see it.

1 Like

That would be nice to use the trackpad when I’m on the go for showing a model or editing where there’s no room for a mouse. It is inconvenient to keep hitting “o” to switch to the orbit tool. Especially if holding shift while two-finger orbiting activated panning.

Just to be clear, are you asking to have a dark grey theme for the UI instead of a light grey theme?

The fact that you even have to explain this is a bit of a worry to me!

It’s the most requested feature of all time.
And would be pretty simple to implement, even if it’s just a tweak to layout to assign lineweights & types based on SU layers, groups, materials, etc.
Can layout have extensions added?

1 Like

Have to agree with the ‘Release Input Boxes on “Enter/Return”’. One of my biggest bug bears. Don’t do it so much now, but I always have to consciously tell myself to click anywhere else before pressing a shortcut key.

1 Like

Are there any issues with downloading and testing out SU Pro 2018 while still having 2017 installed and usable? For projects that are in the midst of production, you know the old adage of not switching horses mid-stream.

1 Like

Pre-empted my question @RTCool.

Dying to download and try, but sticking with 2017 Pro while I’m in the middle of some projects.