SketchUp Pro 2018 is here

in ‘Layout’, regardless of the platform.

and it works just like that. just experiment with control-command in combination with two-finger click-drag on the trackpad. Thats orbit, and shift adds panning. (this is on a Mac). Once you get the hang of if you’ll never use the old mouse again.

Oddbyberg

if this helps… in 60 days after the install of 2018 Pro your existing 2017 Pro license info can no longer be applied to any other machine. You are allowed to install on 2 machines, but after 60 days if you attempt to add 2017 license numbers it will be denied… hurry!!

Nice updates. keep it simple. still waiting patiently for true circles and cut-through-solid-wall window components.

Without using Layout, go File->Document Set Up…
You have to have Parallel Projection set under the Camera menu, and you have to uncheck Scale to Fit in the Document Set Up dialog.

There is a good YouTube video on printing with SketchUp that explains more. This has been there since before Layout, but Layout was created as a better tool for creating printed output. This works for SU Make, which doesn’t include Layout, but is missing from SU Free or SU for Schools.

Also, when you go to print on a Mac, as with any application, you have the option to Save as .pdf. This allows you to create a document that can be emailed to someone who can in turn print it out to scale SO LONG AS they don’t have “Scale to Fit” checked in Acrobat or Preview or whatever else they use for pdfs.

Did you know that if you export as 3d Model it reads all circles and arcs as true circles and arcs.
Also have you ever noticed a plugin called Visuhole.

2 Likes

Jeez, you sound like a rude person. Chill.

1 Like

Hi.
There are some good aspects to this release but it’s not offering a huge feature set…Im guessing a lot of upgrades are under the hood.

Can i ask why SketchUp is released as a new version each year? Surely a lot of these changes could be rolled out via updates/patches? (Pro has maintenance licencses now anyway)

There’s quite a lot of time-cost involved with upgrading a number of staff, testing compatibility with 50+ extensions, hardware/drivers, changing templates, preferences & file paths, etc.

If Trimble wants to stick with the same delivery model, perhaps there could be a “migrate” command to make life easier for us?

Also, more testing of extensions is important. Out of the 540ish extensions in the EW, only 40 are “approved” for SU2018, and there aren’t even that many approved for 2017 and 2016. Please think about professional users who do rely on SU in daily workflows.

Thanks!

Michael, best practice is to install extensions fresh from their source. That’s easy enough for the majority of extensions since they come from the Extension Warehouse or from Sketchucation. Both have tools to make it simple to install fresh.

You can copy extensions from your older installation but you run the risk of errors in copying or outdated scripts that throw errors. If you like chasing down error messages and fixing the problems, copying is the way to go.

Perhaps that is why SketchUp is released as a new version each year. As a professional, it is good not to jump into new releases etc. Better wait until it is stable enough to rely on

Hello

Sorry to says but I find the improvements not satisfactory.
I was expecting something like Skalp plugin integrated to sketchup, and many other plugins.
Increasing speed in layout – when updating a reference is also important.

Why doesn’t ketchup team “buy” and include at least 20 of the most used plugins ?

Best regards

In the past I’ve asked myself that question as well. The 20 most used plugins / extensions are based on all past downloads (Pro and Make/Free), this is probably not the best method to determine which of these are useful to the paying percentage of SketchUp users.

The thing is, SketchUp is the platform for these many plugins / extensions, and many of the SketchUp users use different plugins / extensions (depending on their workflow and scope of work).

Then you need to consider that the selling / buying of these must, amongst others, adhere to willing seller / willing buyer.

Once acquired, this in turn will probably push up the price of the software in turn, possibly deterring a number of users, but this is debatable.

2 Likes

Can you do some video’s to show the new features and how to use them please.

I have the new version loaded. When i look at the plug in’s in the extension warehouse they say they do not say they are compatible with 2018. Are they anyway or is it a maybe? Should I wait to use 2018 until the extensions are checked for compatibility or upgraded?

I’m liking what I see in Pro 2018 Mac. Saw a few videos by Josh and Aaron. My question…can section plan fills be something other than a color? For example, hatches? If I make a material (or several) of the different hatch patterns I want, can I call these as the “color” option in the Styles Edit panel for Section Fill? (If the latter is “yes,” why not provide a video on this set-up?) Thank you.

SketchUp 2018 uses the same version of Ruby as SketchUp 2017 and the changes in the Ruby API for 2018 were mainly additions, so there is an excellent chance that extensions that ran in 2017 will be fine in 2018. It takes a while for authors to update their stated compatibility after a new version is released.

Edit: One important note about macOS High Sierra. It changed the order in which files are returned when a folder is examined (no longer alphabetically sorted). Extensions that relied on the alphabetic sorting may fail to load. Fredo’s extensions fell victim to this, and he has updated them to fix the issue. So if you use his, make sure to load the latest versions! This is a macOS issue, not SketchUp 2018, but important to know if you are trying to copy extensions across.

No, SU 2018 natively supports only solid color fills for sections. Pattern fills are an obvious enhancement that might be added sometime in the future.

No, do not wait. Try them yourself. If there’s one that doesn’t work (not likely, and also see @slbaumgartner’s reply to you), just uninstall it again. Or in the unlikely event that there are some minor issues with the installed extention you can give feedback to the author of the extention. That helps us all.

1 Like

Our team hosted a Facebook live about all the new features of SketchUp Pro and Layout yesterday, which you can watch here: Facebook Live: New in SketchUp Pro 2018 (November 17, 2017) - YouTube

Yeah sorry it was late, perhaps a bit harsh. My bad. Its just you wait a whole year for new core updates and then the areas you hope to get updated dont get touched and you realise its going to be another year before the next shot at the improvements lottery. I still think the core feature of being able to punch through a non parallel wall is long overdue in 2017.