SketchUp Pro 2018 is here

Are there any issues with downloading and testing out SU Pro 2018 while still having 2017 installed and usable? For projects that are in the midst of production, you know the old adage of not switching horses mid-stream.

1 Like

Pre-empted my question @RTCool.

Dying to download and try, but sticking with 2017 Pro while I’m in the middle of some projects.

SketchUp 2018 Pro installs separately from 2017, so you can install and run right beside the previous version!

1 Like

**BOTH:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:may the force be without you :tired_face:

Over & out,
CJT1963

See no improvement in image quality for Geolocation.

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: 3D Connexion and SU2018

Joking? once you save in 2018 you can not open it on 2017. How do you suggest to work beside the precious version. Would very much want to know that.

You can down save your 2018 files to any previous version if you need. What @TheOnlyAaron was suggesting was that you can feel free to experiment with 2018 while maintaining your 2017 version if you’re in the midst of a project.

3 Likes

I have many versions living on my computer, I still work primarily in 2016, but use 17 and now 18 as well. You can “save as” back to any version you like.

2 Likes

My dusty memory is that last year there was some deal where once you installed the new version, the old one worked for a number of months or something, and then it would sunset and the license wasn’t recognized or something? Or am I confused with another application?

1 Like

Is this it? How underwhelming. Feels like there are only a couple of guys working on this. I would have thought sketchup would be selling 1000’s of licenses around the world and would have plenty to invest in program development. Hardly anything here for modelers, just layout stuff from what I can tell.

What about the core functions like being able to push right through an object to create a hole? Not just creating bad inverted geometry.

Pushing through non parallel faces to create a hole

Drawing with walls…

Smart window objects that auto punch through walls…

Dont give us the BIM spiel without being able to actually draw with building components.

Last year we were told there was some serious work going on in redeveloping the core under the hood. Still only seing some bits around the edges I’m afraid.

Also why has so much been invested in a web modeller when there was already a free version you could install in a few minutes that is more comprehensive? Seems like all the development is just getting diluted and the core pro app is lagging behind.

Not one feature in that list that is helpful to me and I use Sketchup everyday for architectural modelling.

5 Likes

Your dusty memory is not wrong, from the 2018 update email:

"Important! 60 days after you authorize SketchUp Pro 2018, your 2017 license will deactivate.
‘What does deactivate mean?’ you may ask. It depends on the kind of license that you have:

Single User Licenses: You can keep using SketchUp Pro 2017 on any machines you’ve already authorized, but you won’t be able to use the 2017 license to authorize any new machines.
Network License users: Your SketchUp Pro 2017 network license will expire and stop working 60 days after the first person authorizes SketchUp Pro 2018 with this upgraded license."

With this being a separate install, I presume this means that all the extensions I have for 2017 need to be re-installed too?

Where can I find “scaled drawing” on MAC … ?

in ‘Layout’, regardless of the platform.

and it works just like that. just experiment with control-command in combination with two-finger click-drag on the trackpad. Thats orbit, and shift adds panning. (this is on a Mac). Once you get the hang of if you’ll never use the old mouse again.

Oddbyberg

if this helps… in 60 days after the install of 2018 Pro your existing 2017 Pro license info can no longer be applied to any other machine. You are allowed to install on 2 machines, but after 60 days if you attempt to add 2017 license numbers it will be denied… hurry!!

Nice updates. keep it simple. still waiting patiently for true circles and cut-through-solid-wall window components.

Without using Layout, go File->Document Set Up…
You have to have Parallel Projection set under the Camera menu, and you have to uncheck Scale to Fit in the Document Set Up dialog.

There is a good YouTube video on printing with SketchUp that explains more. This has been there since before Layout, but Layout was created as a better tool for creating printed output. This works for SU Make, which doesn’t include Layout, but is missing from SU Free or SU for Schools.

Also, when you go to print on a Mac, as with any application, you have the option to Save as .pdf. This allows you to create a document that can be emailed to someone who can in turn print it out to scale SO LONG AS they don’t have “Scale to Fit” checked in Acrobat or Preview or whatever else they use for pdfs.

Did you know that if you export as 3d Model it reads all circles and arcs as true circles and arcs.
Also have you ever noticed a plugin called Visuhole.

2 Likes