SketchUp on Dell XPS 13" 9350 notebook

Hi, I use SketchUp Make for personal projects and I have to purchase a new computer. I like the brand new Dell XPS 13" 9350 with 6th Generation Intel Core i7-6500U, Intel® HD Graphics 520 and Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9350-laptop/pd

Is this machine good to run SketchUp?
Should I choose the FHD (1920 x 1080) or the QHD+ (3200 x 1800) display?

Thank you.
Manosk

I’ve been looking at this too.

looks very good!

Though I think i might be using surface pro 4 instead.

i think QHD+ would be a good choice since more pixel is always good :smiley:

FHD feels a bit outdated nowadays.

I would still prefer a computer with an Nvidia graphics card.

Anssi

2 Likes

I fear that, with a QHD+ (3200 x 1800) display, icons and text in SketchUp will look too small. Not every app is able to scale properly on a high resolution display…

that is true.

However, a lot of apps nowadays are being updated to have better interface. (ie. adobe)
hopefully with SketchUp as well soon.

Are you thinking of SketchUp 2016?

either 2016 or maintenance updates?

I would suggest to consider Dell Precision. They have a proper dedicated video-card.

My current machine os Dell Precision m4700 (with nVidian Quadro k2000). But as it three years old, I’m looking to replace it with m5510 once available for orders (with Intel Xeon, 16GB ram and nVidia Quadro M1000M).

By the way, I expect that M3800 will drop in price as well - Shop: Dell Site Map of All Products, Solutions & Services | Dell USA

1 Like

I also recommend the Dell Precision series for running SketchUp.

Without spouting a lot of technical specifications, I will say that I have used 5 different Dell Precision Workstation laptop machines over the last ten years or so and I have been very satisfied with the performance of each. In addition to running SU on them, I have made use of AutoCad, ArchiCAD, Vectorworks, Revit, Photoshop, Acrobat, various renderers, various video creation software packages, MS Project and the MS Office suite. I typically will have several of these programs operating simultaneously, just like any other power user, and have had very few issues over the years.

The only drawback i can point out is that, with the exception of my latest Dell, the Precision series is usually a bit heavier than many of its competitors. It has exceptional battery life, can be configured to have very large memory capacity, is quite fast and is just a joy to use.

Here is a link to the most recent iteration of the Dell Precision. This unit has a 17 inch screen…there are other models that have smaller screens and weigh less, but the larger screen is always my preference.

CLICK HERE FOR A LINK TO DELL PRECISION INFO

Personally, I strongly recommend this Precision series as it was designed specifically to be used by engineers and architects. An added plus, is their warranty coverage. My systems all have coverage that repairs or replaces any problem by the next business day.

1 Like

[quote=“jvleearchitects, post:9, topic:16603”]
The only drawback i can point out is that, with the exception of my latest Dell, the Precision series is usually a bit heavier than many of its competitors[/quote]
I’m waiting for this beauty - Precision 5510 Mobile Workstation Laptop | Dell USA
As it has Thunderbolt 3 port, should support external video-cards (but it’s built-in graphics is almost as fast as my current K2000m).