Sketchup 2019 Feature Requests

Give us back Sketchup Make

11 Likes

You can always use Watermarks for background skies.

6 Likes

SketchUp on macOS has always used Apple’s native UI libraries, receiving updates semi-automatically as Apple makes changes at the OS level. Is there a particular change you’d like to see us implement in the UI that we haven’t done yet?

john

Both line weights and stipple (hatches) are supported in LayOut. Is there a particular reason why you would rather have them supported in SketchUp?

john

Sure:
Compact UI (single window UI);
Magic mouse and magic trackpad support.

I’m really waiting/hoping for these since years, I’m not joking, at least since 2011.
Every other mac software, of any kind, has these features nowadays. I don’t understand why sketchup hasn’t.
I love the company and the software, I will continue to be a sketchup user and fan, but I’m really disappointed about this. :slight_smile:

a couple of the simple ones that aren’t reliant on Apple…

use Truncate >> Middle for textfields containing paths…

release input boxes on ‘enter/return’ so we don’t have so many things assigned to layer ‘m’…

add a split pane to Ruby Console for multiline input…

john

7 Likes

Moreover:
Drag and drop to sort animation scenes. This is really needed too.

4 Likes

Second this! Scene organization in folders would be great. Think existing vs.proposed in architecture. Having to scroll through 45 scene names isn’t ideal.

9 Likes

I also agree about line weights and type. If I want to show existing walls that are to be demolished in layout (normally a dotted line type) I would have to trace or explode/vectorize in layout. Either option would then not reflect/update from future model changes.

6 Likes

How do you want to use your Magic Mouse in SketchUp? Are you looking for multitouch gestures to control pan and zoom in the model view? Or have you got something else in mind?

…or components named ‘m’. I wish I had a nickle for every four letter word I’ve uttered doing that.

6 Likes

In LO you can only set line weights and stipple to new lines drawn on top of the viewport, not to the model itself, unless you explode the viewport and kill the connection to the 3D model. Even then you’d have to style each line individually as opposed to use the power of SketchUp’s component system to re-use elements.

9 Likes

I’m not using one anymore, but I used to use the magic mouse for all of my SU and LO work. I used a preference pane called magicprefs which is no longer being updated. It might still work for you, or not. It added the ability to place a middle click on the mouse, among other things. Apple most likely broke some of the functionality with library changes, based on the info on the website.

Now I use a 3d navigator with a regular mouse because it’s significantly faster.

SU-PRO-2018 UI…the dark-side…:scream:

Well not too scary…just thought an option for this would be sorted by now, just like the WINDOWS PC theme & MS-software, ADOBE-READER has it as well.

SU must be too saintly I guess…:innocent:

Over & out
CJT1963

I was simply thinking about:

Magic Mouse: right click+hold+moving the mouse = orbit (just like a middle button).
Magic Trackpad: pinch gesture = zoom,
two fingers tap+hold+moving fingers = orbit.

Try Rhinoceros for Mac, they have these gestures-commands and work really user friendly.

Please, don’t wait for the next SketchUp major release for these.

1 Like

It’s an imperfect solution, doesn’t always work as expected. I used it too, but it’s time to fix and fit SketchUp UX to the “new” (2009) hardware or input devices.

I did try it, and couldn’t figure out how to pop a context menu without plugging in a three-button mouse :wink: But I appreciate the suggestions for multitouch gestural control for Orbit and Zoom.

Well…
“Single” Right click = context menu;
Right click and hold+moving the mouse = orbit

It’s much better than the actual SketchUp with Magic Mouse, that is:
Ctrl+cmd+left click and hold+moving the mouse = orbit
Isn’t it? :slight_smile:

Finally take the time to actually write a materials editor on Mac instead of just patching the system Color Chooser! We get tired of having to explain the arbitrary differences between the Windows and Mac versions to users!

6 Likes

Wow - so many requests so quick

Firstly though THANK YOU SKETCHUP GUYS FOR 2018 :slight_smile:

A great Start and honest to the essence of SU in keeping it simple!

Only one suggestion - please bring the LO interface and user actions closer to SU’s great interface [ eg rotate , move, distance etc methodologies same as SU]

2 Likes