SketchUp 2018 Wish List

Here’s a snap of how I usually note roof pitches on my shop drawings:

Some folks leave off the angled line.

Get back detailed google maps.

Also add the ability to create custom HTML trays. Or simply an option to ‘dock’ an HTML dialog into a tray.

1 Like

Some specifications and examples:

Scales in scenes would allow you to see line widths as they will appear on exported drawing.
Fill patterns would work when material is applied to solid a component

And a couple more wishes:
-Possibility to group work on a Sketchup file. This could be done for example so that when one user opens a component to be edited, it will be locked from other users untill the user exits the component and saves the SU file.
-Possibility to cross reference components.
-Also, I wondered if it’s neccessary for Layout to be a separate program, or could it be embedded to Sketchup? This might simplify SU->LO workflow quite a bit.

3 Likes

Could we please have a working login to Extension Warehouse, 3D Warehouse etc in the next mayor version?

1 Like

+1 for this request.

We really need a way to ‘cut’ out everything in a specified area. Currently a ‘cutting’ component can cut one face. I would like to see a way to cut lines and faces that are not on the same plane as the component.

BTW: Face Cutter Extension makes a feeble attempt at this, but can only cut faces on the same plane as the component. For lines the only option is to hide the entire line.

While we now have cut face as an option in components, there could be an option ‘cut bounding box’ .

3 Likes

The usefulness of that would be minimal. Bounding boxes are always rectangular. What if I would want a round top window? I believe the ‘cutting’ area needs to be defined by a 3D solid object.

4 Likes

You’re right! Withdrawn😄

BTW This should be a Pro only feature.

1 Like

You mean something like this is what you want?

That’s the concept, but I would like to be able to move the cutting component, on the fly.

It would be nice to be able to cut 3D shapes rather than just shafts. Something like this:

1 Like

Take a look at this Neil:

and this:

[quote=“Neil_Burkholder, post:88, topic:32922”]It would be nice to be able to cut 3D shapes rather than just shafts.
[/quote]

Modeling Complex 3D Shapes with the Solid Tools | SketchUp Help > “If you’re using SketchUp Make, you can…”

But that is the standard solid tool, it does not update in realtime. The ones I showed do.

[quote=“JQL, post:91, topic:32922”]But that is the standard solid tool, it does not update in realtime.
[/quote]

no, it’s the intersection functionality, yes, it doesn’t update in realtime.

Dynamic might be the word to describe the need. I realize this is a very complex request.

Dynamic Solid Tools is what you are after.

Handy if you can do it but it’s just lazy modelling.

1 Like

Yeah, but… That’s what SU is all about. Making it easy to model. Call it lazy if you want. I call it convenient.

Imagine if you could draw a wall with studs, sheathing, drywall, etc. and then plop a windows on it and everything would be cut out. Nice right? You could manually cut the studs back and draw the window framing but… My customers never change window locations. Never! (sarcasm)

1 Like

And all that can be done with plugins.
None of which I would use.