SketchUp 2017 Wish List

If I remember well, your feature request would enable you to draw shapes on section planes and push pull them for instance. That would be killer for those kind of plans.

From the big projects where you want to show every groundfloor level of your 30 houses that are being built on a slope to the small apartment where you want to section a door, a stair case and a window but they simply don’t align, this feature would be simply great.

1 Like

Again; this would be a perfect use of “negative” geometry.

I can make the negative bits, but you still need to subtract it from the whole…

maybe @eneroth3 will volunteer to help me sort it out…

john

Yeah I admit it’s cool, but it’s destructive; native geometry would remain and you could add bits to both the cutting shape and the model

That is getting cool John!

I’d be very happy for a user interface that easily allows for making sections cuts like this with visible section planes similar to the existing ones.

However, if “negative” geometry is added I would make the plugin myself to implement the section cut UI :stuck_out_tongue: . Both suggestions share the same core, this one just adds an extra UI layer, that sometimes would be very useful but sometimes not.

These are only work-arounds. I really wish that SketchUp would treat it as a serious bug with their software and fix it… Software like AutoCad, Although now obsolete has the ability to REGENERATE the view in order to get into tight spaces and add detail. Why cannot sketchup fix this issue and implement something like REGEN?

moi je crée des couches différentes et je crée des groupes dans les couches.
je suis architecte et je range la construction en fonction des postes…murs, dalle, toiture, colonnes,…
ca permet, par exemple, d’éteindre des couches.
mais , à chaque fois que j’edite un bloc créé dans une couche, je dois à chaque fois penser à activer la couche correspondante à la couche du bloc.
je trouve que par défaut, dès qu’on modifie un bloc on devrait automatiquement se trouver dans le couche active du bloc.

(from google translate)
I created different layers and I create groups in layers.
I am an architect and I put the construction by position … walls, slab, roof, columns …
ca allows, for example, turn off layers.
but every time I edite a block created in a layer, I have to think every time activate the corresponding layer on the block layer.
I find that by default as soon as you change a block should automatically be in the active layer of the block.

My French is good enough to understand your question but not good enough to reply in French, so please accept this reply in English.

Your request sounds like you are not using SketchUp’s layers in the best manner. Geometry contents nested inside a group or component should be associated with Layer0, not with the layer of the container group or component. Layer0 should always be left as the active layer, with the sole exception if you are importing a component or model and want it associated with another layer. This guidance is not enforced by SketchUp, but ignoring it can lead to very serious and confusing entity visibility issues. Your request would violate this advice.

Hi, for me it is an issue.

[quote=“rdecastrod, post:133, topic:17670, full:true”]
Hi, for me it is an issue.
[/quote] Please explain.
What is “an issue” ?

You need to use Layers as intended.
SketchUp is NOT CAD, so learn to use them appropriately.

Hi folks.

My wish is that the bug related to using the Dimension Window (old VCB) with non US keyboard to perform absolute and relative moves will be fixed once and for all.

Best regards.

Jean

1 Like

More custom Layers like nesting and locking layer with in the layers tool bar showing the lock symbol.

I would say that’s what groups and components (and the Outliner window) is for. This corresponds to what layers are in Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Layout, Gimp, Inkscape, Paint.net and pretty much every other program.

Just as an example it wouldn’t make much sense to lock a (Sketchup) layer since it doesn’t have its own drawing context and you then could end up with locked faces bound by edges that are not locked. Should such a face be erased when the edge that isn’t locked is erased? It just doesn’t make much sense.

I agree with eneroth it’s not the sketchup way to lock layers but groups and components.

However the locking feature, wich exists, could have a revamp. I, for one, would like to be able to lock a group/comp from editing while being able to move it or transform it in any other way, as well as apply materials to it.

The features I’d like to lock individually are:

• Editing;
  • Moving;
  • Rotating:
  • Scaling/Skewing/distorting in any way;
  • Group/Comp’s material.

I’m not sure about the Group/Comp Material being able to lock, but I’m absolutelly sure it would be very easy to lock a component from moving/rotating/scaling/etc manually, via DC’s.

This would allow it to be edited while staying put.

However it’s not very convenient to do it, but maybe it’d be easy to do it via a plugi where it would make it easy for us to lock unlock such attributes… :smirk:

i think it’s good if the selection color can be manually adjusted. 2016 version and before are able to do this but we cant differentiate color for group and component, which is sometimes confusing. You cant remember every group or component you make and sometimes you want edit group and appeared that it was a component and whole model ruined.

Although it sounds neat to have different selection colors for groups vs components you can always see the sort of entity you are dealing with in ‘Entity Info’. Keep it open as much as possible.
And you can even see whether the component you are changing is just one in your model or if there are more.

1 Like

For consistency I wouldn’t change the color of one specific type of entity. It would be odd if either group or component deviated from the color used for other entities. However I think changing the line drawing style (solid, dashed, dotted etc).

Maybe additional API options can be added so coders can make anything that fit their particular needs? Still lots of stuff isn’t available in the API.
That way everybody is happy: SketchUp and its UI is still simple, coders can make more complex stuff that people can download / buy.

…just an idea