SketchUp 2017 Wish List

Agree that is a strategy but the implementation is clearly plaguing SU and making it an issue. It is perhaps ok for users utilizing the app to design some basic home interior but it is by far not ok for a professional app.

With the clipping issue SU should perhaps thus be classified as a basic app and not a pro. Other pro apps do not suffer the clipping issue. And it was most disappointing to see that nothing improved on the matter with the most recent release…

I’d hate to see what it’s like when you disagree…

-Gully

You can call it what you want to be honest but a “strategy” that causes problems for the end user is an issue, end of.

As a user of various 3D modeling applications SU is still by far the worst culprit (if not the only culprit). Non of the suggestions highlighted in the SU knowledge base solve the issue once a model gets over a certain size.

Its a issue that needs looking at and has been for some time.

Please describe the exact circumstances under which this occurs most often.

-Gully

is it just me? or has anyone experienced scrolling to zoom sometimes will kick the slide bars on material editor?

I suppose this is OS (Windows 7) issue since I am scrolling activated window, than the position where the cursor is on. But just figured mention here.

Nope; for me if the mouse is over the working area of the drawing, it will zoom and over the materials (or any drop-down in a dialog) it will scroll.
(W10)

1 Like

It occurs most often when trying to work in detailed ares within larger models. Your options are very limited in workarounds and I don’t consider changing the FOV to 1 as acceptable. The issue is exacerbated when coupled with the jumping zoom problem (where using the mouse wheel will suddenly make the image jump to extents or beyond the plane of the area you are working). Usually the only thing you can do at this point is to isolate that element of the model in a new file.

The above is by no means the worst case, its simply something I was looking at the other day. I’m not that close to the Stanton arm that’s clipping and if I move any closer then the entire thing vanishes, making working on that element up close and in detail incredibly difficult.

2 Likes

A better example is below, in image 1 I would like to work on the spider clamp for the glass;

one mouse wheel closer and its like this;

My “camera” is still outside the building at this point, I’ve not passed through the glass plane (obvious because the clam is still in front within the view). Its simply not possible to do, you can not get close enough to the element in this model. Everything that requires details needs to be done in a new model and imported in but then even placing them in the right position is problematic.

Here I would like to place some objects within the display boxes

Good luck with that!

Its not really such a good “strategy” to be honest.

1 Like

I wonder if the Zoom Window tool would help. You would click and drag around the item you want to concentrate on.

sadly not :frowning:

Square is the zoom tool.

Result;

Do you have clipping plane problems? You can mute the music in this video, there’s no voice over: Fixing "Clipping" issues in SketchUp - YouTube

The problem is, is that none of the solutions work if your model needs to retain the elements that the chap in the video is deleting. Case of point “Geometry is too small”, well yes maybe it is but I need small elements in the model, scaling a door handle to the size of the house isn’t really a solution :smile:

Zoom extents has never made a difference for me ever. The only thing you can do is isolate the element into its own file and work on it there and hope for the best when importing it.

I understand that SU isn’t a “premium” 3D modeling suite, it might have the nicest GUI and be the most user friendly etc etc but as this is a wish list and this has been something that has plagued me since I started using it with SU6, I wish this would be improved or resolved.

Can you move your model nearer to the SketchUp model origin? Does it contain outlying parts that you can delete?

Anssi

but you can “Reset Scale” of items created ‘large’ then used in a different scale…

john

And if the parts are components you can work on them in their own files and reload them in your model without having to reposition anything.

I’m seconding this- I’m 100% behind you, LOAM.

I make finely detailed models on a regular basis, and I’ve been through this all before. I follow the best practices which are supposed to minimize this problem, but too often it just isn’t enough.

1 Like

I haven’t read all the comments, so I don’t know what has been mentioned already. Two features I would like to see are: 1) ability to consolidate similar materials. For example when you download multiple models into a project, each one with a different translucent material, it would help with workflow and file size if you could make them each have the same translucent material with a “single click.” 2) customizable tool bars. Where I can display only the tools I want to use. It can get annoying when there are twenty different types of exotic arc-drawing tools for me to accidentally click on when all I want is the square tool. It would be great if I could show only the individual tools I use. Or maybe that’s an option already?

2 Likes

Nevermind number 2…I just found out that I can do that already!

1 Like

You can kind of do this in a couple of clicks:

• Select one face with the material you want to be replaced.
  • R-click and “select all with same material”
  • Choose the replacement material and fill the selected with it (clicking on one selected will fill all selected)

Note that the selection is dependent on the group nesting - if a surface embedded in an group/component, then it can’t be selected and so can’t be filled. (And if you are in a level, then anything outside that level can’t be selected either)

There may be a plugin/script to replace materials through a model already (It doesn’t seem too complex an operation)

2 Likes

Provide some “hooks” into the GUI. Specifically, I’d like to be able to take extension windows (like the Layers Panel) and treat them like toolbars - so I can “dock” it, then autohide.