Sketchup 2017 Installs and wont start. NEW HARDWARE

Today I started sending my contact information along with the splat.

Are you just recommending the C++ 2015 Redistributable or all C++ Redistributables?

I don’t have new hardware but I’m trying to install Sketchup to test it out, but all I get is the bug splat.
Uninstalled Sketchup 2017 64bit
Uninstalled C++ 2015 Redistributable
re-installed “As Administrator” and C++ re-installed.
Still getting the splat when I fire up SketchUp

I run Solidworks and AutoCAD so I really don’t see this being a GPU issue.

I didn’t see any advantage of uninstalling any additional redistributables…

It is a 1080 in the laptop. Thus no optimus gpu controller. I dont think any 10 series mobile graphics have the opimus controller.

I hear you. I dont see the HD graphics included in my machine. and i believe there are many new laptops that arent using Intel HD graphics at all.
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/hm175-qm175-chipset-brief.pdf
In any manner, there is no option in the nvidia control panel for anything other than the discreet graphics.
I do a lot of VR work that drove to getting a machine that would not have Intel HD graphics as an option as that disabled use of VR headsets.

Only settings here are “uaw global setting” / Auto select / and GeForce GTX 1080

A global settings drop down selections are Auto Select / and Geforce GTX 1080

They have always been set to “geforce gtx 1080”

Hey jsteinert, is this crash still an issue for you?

Dzinengr - it should be sufficient to reinstall the C++ 2015 Redistributable. I just looked at the bugsplat reports, I don’t see any with your name on them so I can’t confirm whether or not you have the “bad” version of the mfc140u.dll.

-m

Thanks Marc. Mine should be named as scott hammac.

Yes. Still having issue on the Razer Pro 2016. I just submitted another bugsplat. joshua.steinert

if you read my post, i included information available in “global settings”. which have always been set to the discreet graphics card. I appreciate the assistance, but can we move past a nonissue?

Hi Scott-

The computer you’re running on only has GL version 1.4.0 available - SketchUp requires GL version 2 or higher. You may be able to get around the issue by updating your video card drivers, but it’s more likely that you will need a newer video card. If your machine has multiple video cards installed, you’ll need to use the system settings to make sure SketchUp uses the other video card.

Thanks,
Marc

Hi Joshua-

I see your newest crash report. Your machine still has the troublesome version of the C++ redistributable installed - mfc140u.dll version 14.0.24210.0.

Here’s a direct link to the download page on Microsoft’s site for the updated C++ redistributable:

You can also find more info by searching the forums for “C++ redistributable”.

Thanks,
Marc

points 4./5.

Hello Marc,

Thanks for the info. I apologize, I missed that requirement and with everything else I run, I didn’t think I would have any issue with SketchUp.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Scott Hammac

Hi Scott-

We did some digging and it appears that Intel doesn’t supply a driver for that card that will supply a new enough version of GL for SketchUp to run. So, you’re almost definitely into “new video card” territory.

Thanks,
Marc

You guys are awesome. Thank you for the info. I was planning a new card to convert to dual monitors so now I have another reason.

Thank you again,
Scott

rec.: GeForce GTX 1050Ti/1060

no AMD Radeon (flaky OGL support)
no CAD series as nVidia Quadro or AMD FirePro (high pricing, no advantage)

Any 10xx series from Nvidia. The Pascal technology in those are amazing. Bottom of the line 1050 and 1060 cards are ok. I would recommend at least 1070 as a current visualization artists upgrade
Radeons are back as great options with the new ryzen tech and pricing on those are very competitive.
Video cards do have a high demand and low availability recently as they are highly used in crypto mining.
If you don’t mind older tech a 9 series Nvidia is extremely SketchUp capable and can be found very inexpensive.

SU relies heavily on the CPU (single thread performance), a GTX 1060 is more than enough at least for SU itself… if using a render plug w/ GPU support things do change.

avoid Radeons if you can.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.