SketchUp 2016 Wish list

With regard to the rotate tool and a wishlist item: it would be really handy if the Right arrow locked the rotational plane to the red axis, left to green and up/down to blue (the same as it does when drawing)

2 Likes

Hi,

There are some things that I would love to see in SKP 2016:

In General

1. Simple mirror (maybe working as a texture material?)
  2. Different line type and weight for different layers

In MacOS X

1. Colapsable material window
  2. Full Screen

In Layout

1. Draw and move in scale ( maybe inside groups like in vectorworks )
  2. Real spreadsheet table with simple formulas (maybe linking to an external spreadsheet).
  3. Possibility of third parties plugins
  4. Simple count on Auto-text (1,2,3… a,b,c… I, II, III…) not only linked to page numbers
  5. Spreadsheet operations in Auto-text ( like if =Paul then… )
  6. Handles like sketchup, for a more precise work routine.
  7. App in fullscreen
2 Likes

This is my wishlist for SU 2016 Windows.

Classifier:
I would like to import a little list according to my unit-settings (decimal) made in SU-Template, to tag elements by length (edge), area (material/color), volume and pieces (for groups and components). Please let me see this info by hover in the model, tagged info only.

Report:
I would like to export by active Layer or/and group, component, area, lenght, volume.

Thanks.

Want to be able to import 2d AutoCad dwg or dxf into SU with all lines, borders, title blocks, texts, dimensions, etc. in one import command. Evidently, the problem is that SketchUp has no entity type that would correspond to AutoCad text; thus, text in Sketchup is placed on the screen, whereas in AutoCad it is a model object. There are some power users, such as Geo, Kenny, and Anssi, that have helped with some work-arounds that are greatly appreciated and helpful but not the same as SU making a
one-step import command.

I would like to see a way of being able to select whether the cursor for drawing a line or selecting can be toggled from “Intersection” (x) and “Vertex” or inferred, and to be able to swtich off or bypass any snapping. The locking of layers as opposed to (or in concert with) locking groups would be helpful as well.

It would be great if, for SU 2016, Trimble’s developers figure out how to eliminate the disappearing file issue that is commonly found when running SU 2015 (64-bit version) on Dell computers having Intel HD Graphics 5500 integrated display adapters.

Enable the tape measure tool on the SU Viewer and create a mark-up tool that could be used. This would make the viewer a perfect tool for reviewing models on site and with the client

1 Like

HEY With all the hype about intel realsense being able to ‘see’ 3D will sketchup at least support navigation using realsense?
and what about component modelling. it should be able to generate at least a simple wireframe model using the windows tools?
And an app for Microsoft HoloLens as well? I have always dreamed of being able to draw in a virtual environment. will ya make this work???

I have two startup SketchUp wishes:

1. If I accidentally open SketchUp, I should be allowed to quit it right away. Currently I have to click a Start using SketchUp button, then Quit, then Don’t Save.

2. If I intentionally open SketchUp by double-clicking on a SKP file, I shouldn’t have to then click a Start using SketchUp button in order to work on my document.

5 Likes

Hi @colin,

I haven’t seen that splash screen since shortly after I installed this version of SU. I disabled it somehow. Because I no longer see it, I’m not entirely sure of the procedure, but I remember a checkbox that allowed users to permanently disable that splash screen from appearing.

There is a checkbox in the lower left of that window. I’ve unchecked it for now, which solves some of the problem. But, I like that window, I may well want to change the template, or go to a learning center. That doesn’t mean it should disable the Quit option while it’s showing.

A related request, if you open a document, or start a new document, and you quit, you should only be asked if you want to save changes if you have made any changes.

you can access the startup through the help menu either select about or licence then do the changes required

My wishlist to make working with SketchUp & Layout even more productive and fun:

SU: fix for the outliner so there’s no need anymore to close the outliner before using ruby plugins
SU: more API options for customizing dimensioning with ruby plugins
SU: material browser: add material name as a text label in the bottom of every thumbnail (instead of mouse overs)
SU: extra customization options for the UI: the getting started toolbar has nice flyouts. Would be great if those were available for creating custom toolbars - especially for third party plugins. This could highly clean up the interface and give back workspace.
SU: (option to) not rename the result of boolean operations. If you take the effort to name every group & component (outliner based workflow), it’s not nice to have to rename your objects every time a boolean operation is used.
SU: fix for very long saving times when using ‘redefine thumbnail on save’

LO: option when copying - pasting lots of elements at the the same time (on different layers) to another page, to leave them on their original layers and not change them all to the active layer.
LO: multiple page sizes within one document. Maybe even to be able to set some sort of (relative) origin on every page so the logos and client info stays at the same position on each page.
LO: fix for getting the current scale after right clicking on a inserted scene. At the moment its broken and the current scale is only visible in the side menu.
LO: apply the same logic for viewing while using an operation like in SU. When using a Wacom pen instead of a mouse, the zoom command in LO breaks the current tool (pencil) - in Sketchup it doesn’t.

1 Like

If you have to choose not to save when you have done nothing to the file then you have a plugin causing this.
Twilight is one known to do this. Try disabling it if you have it and see if that fixes it.

My wish: a “priority Xray view” that would make it easier to see the group I’m editing without it getting confused with all the other hidden lines.

Similar to this? "Fog" for transparency and hidden line - #4 by gadget2020

Hello, for release in 2016 it will be well to add a shadow generator during export to DWG
Thanks.

Hi,
My (small) wishlist, mostly for LayOut that we use extensively to produce drawings from SketchUp models:

• Paste on respective layers in LayOut: The ability to respect layers when cut and pasting with LayOut, so that large drawings on multiple layers can be duplicated while the layers of the different objects being copied is respected. That should be simple enough to implement and really useful
  • Graphical components in LayOut: editing one instance would edit all instances in a LayOut file, so that standard objects (section symbols, tree symbols or, in general, any scrapbook object could be updated in a whole LayOut file by changing one of them (and updating its definition).
  • Graphical styles in LayOut: the ability to define styles (fill, stroke, font, etc.) that can be applied to objects. Editing and updating the style would update the style of all objects “painted” with this style.

Cheers,

Thibaut

2 Likes

+1 to all your suggestions, Thibaut!

I would expand the Styles FR by adding the ability to define NAMED styles separately for different elements like text, dimensions or labels.

And, LayOut needs a built-in table tool, perhaps auto-populated with information from the SU model.

Anssi

2 Likes

Math operations in the Measurements Toolbar like these:

4 Likes