SketchUp 2016 Wish list

There is a checkbox in the lower left of that window. I’ve unchecked it for now, which solves some of the problem. But, I like that window, I may well want to change the template, or go to a learning center. That doesn’t mean it should disable the Quit option while it’s showing.

A related request, if you open a document, or start a new document, and you quit, you should only be asked if you want to save changes if you have made any changes.

you can access the startup through the help menu either select about or licence then do the changes required

My wishlist to make working with SketchUp & Layout even more productive and fun:

SU: fix for the outliner so there’s no need anymore to close the outliner before using ruby plugins
SU: more API options for customizing dimensioning with ruby plugins
SU: material browser: add material name as a text label in the bottom of every thumbnail (instead of mouse overs)
SU: extra customization options for the UI: the getting started toolbar has nice flyouts. Would be great if those were available for creating custom toolbars - especially for third party plugins. This could highly clean up the interface and give back workspace.
SU: (option to) not rename the result of boolean operations. If you take the effort to name every group & component (outliner based workflow), it’s not nice to have to rename your objects every time a boolean operation is used.
SU: fix for very long saving times when using ‘redefine thumbnail on save’

LO: option when copying - pasting lots of elements at the the same time (on different layers) to another page, to leave them on their original layers and not change them all to the active layer.
LO: multiple page sizes within one document. Maybe even to be able to set some sort of (relative) origin on every page so the logos and client info stays at the same position on each page.
LO: fix for getting the current scale after right clicking on a inserted scene. At the moment its broken and the current scale is only visible in the side menu.
LO: apply the same logic for viewing while using an operation like in SU. When using a Wacom pen instead of a mouse, the zoom command in LO breaks the current tool (pencil) - in Sketchup it doesn’t.

1 Like

If you have to choose not to save when you have done nothing to the file then you have a plugin causing this.
Twilight is one known to do this. Try disabling it if you have it and see if that fixes it.

My wish: a “priority Xray view” that would make it easier to see the group I’m editing without it getting confused with all the other hidden lines.

Similar to this? "Fog" for transparency and hidden line - #4 by gadget2020

Hello, for release in 2016 it will be well to add a shadow generator during export to DWG
Thanks.

Hi,
My (small) wishlist, mostly for LayOut that we use extensively to produce drawings from SketchUp models:

• Paste on respective layers in LayOut: The ability to respect layers when cut and pasting with LayOut, so that large drawings on multiple layers can be duplicated while the layers of the different objects being copied is respected. That should be simple enough to implement and really useful
  • Graphical components in LayOut: editing one instance would edit all instances in a LayOut file, so that standard objects (section symbols, tree symbols or, in general, any scrapbook object could be updated in a whole LayOut file by changing one of them (and updating its definition).
  • Graphical styles in LayOut: the ability to define styles (fill, stroke, font, etc.) that can be applied to objects. Editing and updating the style would update the style of all objects “painted” with this style.

Cheers,

Thibaut

2 Likes

+1 to all your suggestions, Thibaut!

I would expand the Styles FR by adding the ability to define NAMED styles separately for different elements like text, dimensions or labels.

And, LayOut needs a built-in table tool, perhaps auto-populated with information from the SU model.

Anssi

2 Likes

Math operations in the Measurements Toolbar like these:

4 Likes

I would like to see a small addition. when using a tool, such as the line tool, it can be hard to align to an axis. you are often forced to rotate the model in order for sketchup to pick up the axis. a simple change would be to allow you to hit one of the arrow keys, while still holding the mouse button, and cycle through the axis’.

@Jeffery, please describe step by step with some tools as an example.
I just tried the ‘Line’ tool and the 'Arc’two point and they respond to hitting an [Arrow] key to then lock to the axis.

edit: Sorry @Syroezhkin, I ment Jeffery in my question above

I think you may have missed a simple basic: click once to place the start point of a line, click again to place the end point: You don’t need to hold the button down. (and the arrow keys work between these two actions to constrain to the axis)

you and wo3dan are right, sorry. the one it would really help with is the rectangle though

I’m in need of a simple quads export. Tris is making things really tough with architecture exports and external UV meshes. Manually creating the geometry is quite time consuming, but the results work very well in Blender. More attention to export options for PRO users, better more advanced options to say: C4D native files. Auto-purge etc. Better scene management and less abruptly switching camera tools.

Just to add the FBX exporter for pro is quite old. Maybe update that to 7.4? These little additions can make huge differences.

It would be great to be able to see which computers are using the Sketchup Pro licenses at any given time with 2016. Sketchup allowed administrators to view this in previous versions. Not having this feature in 2015 has caused my team an immeasurable amount of wasted time and frustration.

i would like to see lumion type navigatio (both mouse and keyboard)

My request is for an alternate shadow system for objects in space. When I’m not working on architectural CAD projects, I make space stations and starships in SketchUp.

This new, alternate system would behave as if there was no ground or sky (or Earth), allowing the sun/lightsource to be moved to any azimuth and altitude. If the ground is enabled, it would have no effect on the shadows.

As far as the UI is concerned, a simple toggle in the shadow settings window could turn this on, replacing the date and time sliders with altitude (-90 to 90) and azimuth (0 to 360) sliders (changing the toolbar too, if enabled), and disabling the display on ground checkbox.

I’m sure this mode could be used for other types of visualizations too!

1 Like

-Dashed line styles in sketchup with vector rendering of dashed lines in layout.
-Option for ‘rotate’ menu item in layout that I can turn into a hotkey.
-Menu items ‘flip along components red axis/blue/green’ and ‘flip along groups red axis/blue/green’ submenus should get rid of the ‘component’ and ‘group’ names so that I can assign a single hotkey that works to flip both groups and components along a certain axis. It’s a minor bug that causes a bit of pain.

Thanks!

1 Like

Selection and transformation of topology across groups/ components - i.e. I have a a series of window components or groups (with grouped trim, jamb, sash, glazing) in a group of geometry comprising a wall. I want to adjust the mullion between the windows so the window on the left of the mullion are 2’ wide and on the right are 4’ ( where currently they are all the same size, and I want to move the whole glazing assembly 3’ down the wall along with the interior partition it is next to. Current system requires me to tackle resizing each group resulting in many many steps whereas in any 3d program where you can select topology (segment, vertice, face) across multiple objects and move them. 30+ steps vs. 2.
Being able to select and transform across components/ groups would be killer, for me at least.
object tagging for selection / visibility reduces layer clutter if I can assign tags to objects in addition to having them on a given layer
frozen / unscaling geometry within components - assign tag to geometry inside a component that causes it not to respond to a certain kind of transformation. For instance, this would allow you to have a single component of a picture frame, with a profile for the frame, that would maintain the profile when the frame is scaled as desired. (yes, I know there are [marginally satisfactory] workarounds). AND many differently sized instances of the frame component would only be 1 component.
improved component/ group swapping for things like LOD or cabinetry options