Sketchup 2016 - locking up

I went ahead and installed Highjack this. I also did a clean boot per instructions from the provided link. I opened SU (and it was the first software opened…) and began to work with it. As of now, Ive had 1 lockup, but its only been a few minutes of uptime. I ran the Highjack app, but not sure how or when to use it nor do I know what I am looking for.

Well… It was working fine… It just now began to lockup… With the lockups becoming more frequent and longer in duration. Ive checked both CPU and GPU temps and they are within normal parameters. All worked fine for the first hour or so (after the clean boot) This bug is driving me nuts!

I humbly accept the defeat. :smiley:

You should get a Notepad TXT file to save… It includes a bunch of stuff - boot state, IE v ersion, programs, services, etc.

In the past I’ve needed to compared logs from different boot states, before noticing somethings amiss by comparing the logs.

There’s always the chance something is wrong with the trackball that’s not readily detectable.

And since you did a clean boot, try safe mode. No Nvidia driver.

Black cat cross your path lately?

Oh my… Just got a BSOD as I shut down SU. Its killing my PC. Im done with this software.

Did you try cleaning your trackball? The ball can come out to clean in that area.

I clean it everyday… Multiple times even. The error I got was a WHEA something something… Basically, a hardware fail. I restarted and all works ok. Not gonna use SU anymore… Guess its time to start learning Revit.

My guess is the lockup is caused by shared lock obtained for the model by SU and not being released. I have had the problem both accessing models with the viewer over a network, and when using Make by itself locally. The problem appears more often, for me, on larger models (>20MB). An infallible way to clear a shared memory lock is to reboot. And this solves the problem - at least for a while. Logging off and on also worked - maybe this is sufficient.

I have found that after opening a locked file (read-only of course), doing a “saveas” with a new name, closing the file and then opening the file with its new name unlocks the file. You can then do another “saveas” with the original name, and continue to work on the file with the same name again. This still smells of shared memory lock problems to me, as the key to the shared lock is the filename.

My files are not shared over a network and thus not locked. I do ‘save as’ a new file and quite often. Many of my projects have well over 50 individual saves, all with new names, ie ‘s1’… ‘s2’… and so on. The issue persists even when saving as a new name… or when logging out, rebooting, etc.

Im going to run SU while using the onboard GPU. Currently, it is set to use my Nvidia GPU. This may be an issue as SU is not a ‘full screen’ app such as a game would be. I do move back and forth from SU to my desktop and the switch might be causing issues (as the laptop is also switching between the onboard and nvidia GPU… so I assume anyways…)

@catamountain asked that I share my experience with my Logitech M570 Trackball with this thread. Not much to share. I use SetPoint’s default settings, from the Tools tab it is version 6.67.83, Driver version 5.90.41, but from Device Manager there are 3 listings for Logitech HID-compliant Unifying Mouse and each one’s Properties - Driver tab lists Driver version 5.90.38.0 (?). Probably way too much information.

Have no problems with SUp hanging, with that said, that’s about the only problem I haven’t had with SUp. I blamed W10 for my problems so I did a reset of W10 - don’t do it, ugh what a pain. I upgrade my W7 Pro to W10 a month or so before 2016 was released, 2015 worked fine with W10. My problems started 6 or 8 weeks ago and I was sure it was W10, wasn’t the main problem I have (creating Components) persists. You can private message me if you want the filibuster about resetting Windows 10.

I had a problem like this. Its seemed to be most difficult using the follow me tool. The screen would go black with the not responding message. Sometimes it would bug splat other times it would run on for 10 minutes or even more. I have followed this thread with interest. I have worked through most of the suggestions from the top down with a simple test file on SU.
I’m no computer wiz but at the safemode start & uninstalling all my extensions the files are now running perfectly. what was a 33 second followme operation (In the test file) is now instantaneous. So a big thanks to all your help. Please keep up the good work

Excellent! Im glad to see that the information provided in this thread has helped another. In my case, the issue remaind. :frowning:

Is this issue being looked into? Im seeing similar issues now popping up on the forums. While each issue varies, they all have one thing in common: Win10. I’d be inclined to blame Win10, but apps should be built to run on the OS and not the other way around. In short, it appears SU has issues with Win10. Please look into this asap. Mahalo!

It’s not so much SU on Win10 as SU16 is supported though SU15 is not. Quite a few issues are bugs with the drivers. Above rbooby, who successully uses the same trackball as yourself in Win10 had issues with saving components that was tracked to a faulty AMD driver.

Wish I could rollback…but it appears that my previous install was deleted by Winblows. Not to happy about that, nor was I aware that such would happen. Just another scam by MS to get everyone onto their universal OS.

To satisy my curiosity, I will call MS, nvidia, and Logitech to see what they say about this issue. Im willing to bet the farm that all three will respond the same: contact the software maker. Who like place bets? :smiley:

what else… drop W10, install W7 and everything will be fine, problem solved.

Will… If it was free I would.

I found an old reference about Logitech mice causing SU to respond slow if the mouse is set to use acceleration in games. Try disabling acceleration in games in SetPoint.