SketchUp 2016 is here!

Hi Everyone!
I’ve just downloaded new Sketchup Pro 2016. Everything is perfect with Sketchup, but I’m unable to open Layout, my Mac says that this software will damage the computer and that I have to put it in the trash (translated from French…).
Could you please help me? Thanks.

I’m not familiar with the French wording, but that sounds like the Gatekeeper’s warning about an application downloaded from the internet. It seems strange that it flagged Layout but not SketchUp, but anyway: To get it to run, you need to steer Finder to where you installed SketchUp (conventionally /Applications/SketchUp 2016/). Then right-click Layout and select “Open” (or French equivalent). You will get a dialog warning you that this action will allow the app to run. Click OK and thereafter Layout should be able to run.

Thank you slbaumgartner, you could be right because it looks like Gatekeeper’s warning, but without the “Open” button. After right clicking I can only choose between trash or cancel…

That sounds like you are doing something different than what I described, as I get a menu with many more options:

No after that. This is actually a Gatekeeper message, but double click on the icon or right click and open bring me to the same message.
All chats say the same as you say, but it definitely doesn’t work.
We have a presentation in 1,5 hours for the one we just have nothing to show, due to this bug…

Thank you SketchUp Team for the new 2016 version.
Your efforts in keeping our favourite 3D modelling tool fresh and up to date are very much appreciated.
So far everything is running without any issues on a Mac with OS X El Capitan. Moved all extensions, plugins and material files to the new 2016 version and “rebuild” my workspace. Is there a easier - automated - way in doing it? Every year you have to start from scratch?? But it’s done now and I’m looking forward to learn more about the “under the hood” changes and refinements in the coming hours and days.
On first sight I like the new fullscreen option - obviously. But the rest of the UI (on a Mac) is a little disappointing. I was hoping for a long overdue revamp without floating windows etc… Especially when you work in fullscreen everything is sitting on top of your drawing … I would have preferred a tidier and fixed window solution. Just like in Windows. It can’t be that hard to do …
For Layout I had on my wish-list - “rulers and guides”. No, sadly not this year. When you work professionally with Layout this would make live so much easier.
One more thing; since 3 years I’m asking for the “natural” scrolling option for Mac users. But it wasn’t on the “todo” list - again.
Rant over. Love an hugs to SketchUp …

1 Like

Tommy,

I just received my email from you guys announcing SketchUp 2016. I’m looking forward to upgrading my 2015 copy, which I like and suspect I will like 2016 even more.

I am bothered by the fact that there are no “upgrade” instructions, only “install” instructions. For example:

1. Do I need to uninstall 2015 before installing 2016?
  2. If I don’t first uninstall 2015 does 2016 install over 2015 or at a separate location?

I suspect these are redundant questions for a seasoned user, but for someone new, like myself, they are relevant.

Please assist,

Bill

Come on guys: -Give us feature parity between the Mac and PC version, then I’ll buy new Mac licenses. One still cannot inverse the zoom direction in the Mac version, although on the Mac is where one needs it, to adjust to the “natural scrolling” paradigm that has been part of osX for years now. Mac users use “natural scrolling”. Sketchup will just need to accept this, because that is not going to change. Why then have zoom direction that is the opposite of what the operating system imposes on all other parts of the Mac app ecosystem, so that every time one uses Sketchup one has to unlearn user habits from all other apps. We actually use other apps too. Kudos for now supporting hi-res screens so that snap points are now visible. You are half way there, but I’ll stick with the last good working version, Sketchup 7, and see what you bring for 2017.

All your extensions worked? Did you just copy them over? I’m trying it now…

I found that I can’t live without Skalp and some others.

This morning(Nov. 19th) I’ve been unable to download Sketchup Make 2016 without encountering a server error. Are the servers overloaded? Are there any mirrors where we may download the new version?

Thanks ~

Yes, I copied them over and reactivated them in preferences. I had to re-download some of the SketchUp Team extensions from Extension warehouse. Didn’t run into any issues so far.

I can download from here without issue.
If you can’t then you need to look to your ISP or some other issue.

Thanks. I still get this error message:
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
AccessDeniedAccess denied

That doesn’t appear to originate from my ISP. I don’t know why my access would be denied from Trimble.

XML file? How are you trying to download it?

Are you using any software offerings from Untangle software?

No, but I am using Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. Perhaps that is blocking the download?

I have tried with three different browsers by simply clicking on the published link. I tried stopping Malwarebytes-Antiexploit and that had no effect. Very puzzled…

Perhaps (you shouldn’t normally need to) right click the link and select save target as.
Also be sure you are downloading the correct bit version.

1. No, you can keep 2015 and still use it if you like to.
  2. 2016 will install in a separate folder, and 2015 will remain unchanged.

Anssi

1 Like

I won’t waste any more of your time. I’m just an individual who has found Sketchup very useful in designing and measuring things ever since I first tried it in 2011. I’m not a professional user and I’ll never win any awards, but it has been an important part of my toolkit. I’m just finishing up building a 28’ x 44’ shop I designed, generating plans with Sketchup that depicted every component. It was very satisfying to build using such a detailed plan.

Make 2015 will have to suffice for now.