SketchUp 2016: Inference updates and feedback

As you may have read on the SketchUpdate Blog, we’ve made some changes to SketchUp inferencing in 2016. Here’s a look at what’s new:

You can also read about the detailed changes to inferencing here in SketchUp’s release notes.

The expanded inferencing is really handy but it might take some getting used to in some tools. For instance, Circle and Rotate used to only use Shift to lock surface orientations. With 2016 you’ll want to use the down arrow key (instead of Shift) to lock only the surface orientation. This allows you to place the tool somewhere other that the surface that you are locking. An alternative way to do this is to hold Shift over a surface then tap Alt (on Windows ) or Command (on Mac) to free the tool center. We’ve updated the status bar for the Rotate, Circle and Polygon tools to communicate this.

Since inferencing is so important to how SketchUp functions, we’re really eager for feedback on this new functionality. What do you like? What do you kind of not like? Of course, showing is better than telling, so we’d be especially excited for screen-captures and videos demonstrating how these inference updates are working for you.

Of course, we want to know about issues and problems you run into as well. Thanks for helping us make SketchUp better!

Bryce and the entire SketchUp Team

4 Likes

Inferencing is GREAT!!!
Question:
Is there a way to transfer all the plug-ins from SU 2015 to SU 2016 or do we have to find them again and install them?
Thank you.

As usual, the best advice is (unfortunately) to reinstall all of them. The biggest issue is that only a few cutting-edge developers have yet released new “signed” versions, so you may have to do the reinstall again as revisions to extensions and plugins become available. That’s why the initial release of SU 2016 defaults to “unrestricted” policy.

@cb94030, As the plugins may not be compatible with SU 2016, we recommend that you install them from extension warehouse.

I like the new inference, but (… and I’m not sure if this happened in V15…) if you input an invalid dimension, the position rolls back to the point before the action rather than the point before the invalid input.

eg. Move object: [click]{set start point}, move mouse, [click]{object moves} type in distance [return]{object moves}, type in another distance [return]{object moves}, type in invalid input [return]{object returns to start point}

There are different ways, Matt wrote a comprehensive blog post about this topic:

1 Like

This should be fixed for our next release. Invalid inputs should be handled better.

1 Like

Can SU 2015 plugin be used in SU 2016?

I already like this new version. More snappy. Both SU and LO. And the interaction between the two. Yes inferences are very nice. Especially on curves and circles.
And the new ways of producing quantity reports !!

One little thing do puzzle me thought; I can’t believe SU files cannot get a thumbnail preview icon on Mac.

mrwmrutski http://forums.sketchup.com/users/mrwmrutski, what I understand
you are saying is that it is not advisable to get the plugins from the
v2015 plugin folder and copy them to v2016 but to reinstall the same
plugins and they will work well with 2016 as they did with v2015. So
the plugins are compatible for both versions.

mrwmrutski, what I understand you are saying is that it is not advisable to get the plugins from the v2015 plugin folder and copy them to v2016 but to reinstall the same plugins and they will work well with 2016 as they did with v2015. So the plugins are compatible for both versions.

This has been so for a long time. It’s a frequent request, but hasn’t been addressed. Considering all the issues with thumbnail generation on Windows, maybe we Mac users should consider ourselves lucky!

sketchup 2016 looks fine -thanks for your work
i’m excited to test to new inference system
i’m using sketchup since version 2015 since some months - for personal use
(house renovation …)

now - if possible - can you help me ?
in the blog : http://blog.sketchup.com/sketchupdate/enhanced-inferencing-sketchup-2016
there is an gif animation : http://blog.sketchup.com/sites/blog.sketchup.com/files/Inferencing_2.gif
how this is done in detail :smile:can you give me please an “how to” step tutorial - i have tried many possibilities but i can not find (arrow key down ?, blocling inferene, how to find the intersection before rotating …)
thanks for help
and excuse fro my bad english
have a nice day
kind regards
peter (peter.maurer@orange.fr)

Hi Peter

Do you have cursor arrows like this on your keyboard?

If so the steps to replicate the rotate copy in that gif are:

1. Select the face you want to copy
  2. Activate the rotate tool.
  3. Hover the rotate cursor over your selected face
  4. Press and release the down arrow key. Notice your face’s edges and the protractor will turn magenta and the protractor’s orientation will match that face.
  5. Move the center of the magenta protractor to the lower edge of your surface and watch for the red “on edge” screen tip.
  6. Press and Hold shift. This will lock the protractor’s center to somewhere along that edge.
  7. Continue to hold shift and move your cursor to the next edge that intersects with the first edge. The protractor should jump to the intersection between the two.
  8. Click your left mouse button to set the protractor center. After this you can release shift
  9. Align the protractor base with an edge or point you want to measure from.
  10. hold the ctrl ( windows) or option (mac) and click to begin rotating a copy. Move your mouse to rotate the desired angle and click to finish the rotate copy.

Hope this helps!
~Bryce

What @Bryceosaurus didn’t mention is that the specific effect seen in that video required a careful setup of the objects involved so that the rotate placed the face exactly inside the second where it would cut it. A bit of smoke and mirrors!

hello
ok this was exactly my problem - thanks for help
peter

Hello
many thanks for your help
if have exactly done this - no problem this works fine , but my question is especially :
in the gif, the rotated face cut exactly the second objet - will this mean that the two objects have to be placed in a special position one aganist the other ? (mirror ?)
thanks again for your help
have a nice evening
kind regards
peter

Hello
many thanks for your help
if have exactly done this - no problem this works fine , but my question is especially :
in the gif, the rotated face cut exactly the second objet - will this mean that the two objects have to be placed in a special position one aganist the other ? (mirror ?)
thanks again for your help
have a nice evening
kind regards
peter

Message du 22/11/15 00:06
De : “Bryceosaurus”
A : peter.maurer@orange.fr
Copie à :
Objet : [SketchUp Forum] [SketchUp] SketchUp 2016: Inference updates and feedback

Bryceosaurus SketchUp Team Member

November 21

petermaurer:

how this is done in detail can you give me please an “how to” step tutorial -

Hi Peter
Do you have cursor arrows like this on your keyboard?

If so the steps to replicate the rotate copy in that gif are:

Select the face you want to copy
Activate the rotate tool.
Hover the rotate cursor over your selected face
Press and release the down arrow key. Notice your face’s edges and the protractor will turn magenta and the protractor’s orientation will match that face.
Move the center of the magenta protractor to the lower edge of your surface and watch for the red “on edge” screen tip.
Press and Hold shift. This will lock the protractor’s center to somewhere along that edge.
Continue to hold shift and move your cursor to the next edge that intersects with the first edge. The protractor should jump to the intersection between the two.
Click your left mouse button to set the protractor center. After this you can release shift
Align the protractor base with an edge or point you want to measure from.
hold the ctrl ( windows) or option (mac) and click to begin rotating a copy. Move your mouse to rotate the desired angle and click to finish the rotate copy.

Hope this helps!

This example “just works” because the center of rotation happens to be the corner the lager rectangle (see video below) and because the copy lands at 180 deg. If you try this with just any rotation center or angle things will break down quickly.

Its more of an example of what’s possible when things are lined up. Here’s the full process of creating those sliced L shapes - - YouTube

Hi Bryce
I have that the centre finder does not work n a offset curve.
Daniel