SketchUp 2016 crashes on startup

ive sent the crash report from bugsplat if you can check that whats wrong

I am going to take a look at that now, while I am looking for it and trying to see what went wrong, if you want to try something instead of waiting for me to find something you could try making sure that your internet explorer is up to date. If you just want to wait for a response thats fine too.

also I have same problem now ! , before half hours I can use sketchUp 2016 , but now it’s crash me when I chooce a tamplet

i have the newest internet explorer aswell.

Ok, I am looking at the bugsplats now and I think I found your report. It looks like the error is being caused by hardware acceleration. Can you disable hardware acceleration on your laptop and try launching SketchUp?

sorry i cant disable hardware acceleration on my computer.

If we could get to your settings in SketchUp, the fix is fairly simple, but if you can’t get SketchUp to launch and we can’t disable it from your control panel. But, if you really can’t disable it, then we need to take some more complex actions to fix the problem. Before we try that, are you sure that you can’t disable hardware acceleration via the control panel?

controll panel > apperance and personalization > display > advanced settings > troubleshoot > change settings > then drag the hardware acceleration down to 0? if thats what you meant by disabling the hardware acceleration im sure that i cant disable it. becuase the change settings button is grayed out

Then it looks like we need to get in to your registry and change some things. Are you familiar with this sort of thing? Making changes to the registry can be intimidating to a lot of people, (myself included).

nope, never done it before :confused:

It might be best to save that as a last resort then. If I recall correctly, a user had a similar problem a while ago. I think they may have come up with a solution that did not require any manual registry editing. Here is a link to the thread: Sketchup crashes on starting - #12 by catamountain

EDIT: fixed the link, sorry about that!

Hmm im quite not understanding how to fix the problem with that post, sorry. Any other idea to help me? :wink:

I think @sketch3d_de may have written a program that is linked somewhere in that thread. It might be able to fix your problem.

http://www.posh.de/cms/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=131&Itemid=236

It is possible to disable OpenGL at the system level, without sketch3d.de’s plugin. BUT you need to jump through some hoops to logon to your computer as the adminstrator since this permission annoyance was added post-XP. Try that OpenGL configuration tool…

You have to be careful abt what you mean by admin. The basic windows 7 log in does not expose the elevated admin login; without SU it is probably running direct x11 not open GL.
Run DxDiag and that should give you a report on what is running;
Do you still have SU 2015 installed and can you run that?;
You can also run msconfig and start in the safe mode plus others;
Is the graphics card enabled for the PC, have you checked the BIOS?. Depending on the mother board you enable that at boot by F(X?) and depends on your machine MB.
It would help to let us know what you have including the SKU version. I’ll have to find my info on how to boot with elevated admin but do not recommend.:(.Hope you have the info from the user account set ups??
Have to pick up daughter up AM at airport tomorrow so it will be awhile:(
Here is the link:

I’ve included links and instructions on getting to the master administrator account on the SketchUp Sage (and added the link mac7595 found). But if that OpenGL utility from sketch3d_de runs as designed, using it to disable OpenGL would be much more pleasant troubleshooting step.

Hi, the OpenGL tool didnt work, and im not sure how much i can change with adinitration right becuase its a school computer. However i managed to open up sketchup when i reinstallee my graphics drivers! But now when i restarted my laptop its back tp square 1 again. I cant start sketchup again.

Often enough SU allows it to be open the first time but the configuration that allowed the program to open isn’t retained.

Since updating the driver got you into SU, try it again - older driver, reinstall. Did you get that latest driver from AMD’s site? But this time when SU opens, go to Window > Preferences > OpenGL and disable Use hardware acceleration.

AMD has a spotty record on providing 100% OpenGL support.

Are you able to double click an skp file and launch SketchUp Pro that way?