Selection Tool process is slow, unbearably slow

Well, this morning I booted up my computer and was working on something when I got a “you must restart your computer”… Now or later? No mention of an update But, when I did the restart it updated and reinstalled
the same one. I’m just going to kill the auto updates.

1 Like

There is no such option on Windows 10 Home edition. You will get the update sooner or later, and your computer will reboot with the potential to lose work if you do not schedule the updates and reboots.

INSERT:

from InfoWorld (Woody Leonhard of askwoody.com):

Thank you Dave, I had the same problem and the same update KB4013249 was the problem, thanks for making our life easier

regards

1 Like

Hello -
I’m having the same problem - I can navigate through my model (which is relatively small) but can’t click on anything. I’ve updated the driver, uninstalled and re-installed 2017 with no luck. I checked the Windows update but don’t have any security updates (just a lot of updates for Microsoft Office).
Any other ideas as to why I can’t select anything?

Thanks.

Graphics card problem. Try updating the graphics drivers. Note that Intel HD graphics drivers have been notorious for less than adequate OpnGL support. Try updating anyway.

I updated the graphics card and still no luck.
I’m wondering if I need to revert to 2016; the one thing I did notice, which may or may not be relevant, is that this problem started after my ‘trial’ period for pro ran out and I started using the free version instead.
Thanks again.

Pro and Make handle graphics the same way so I think the end of the pro trial is unrelated.

Notebook or desktop computer?

So I’m not sure exactly what or why, but it’s working now. Yay!
Thanks for the quick replies and support.

1 Like

I’ve just downloaded SketchUp Make 2017 today, 3/33/17, and I find that the Selection tool is extremely tool. I’ve had earlier versions of SketchUp, and I don’t recall this problem previously. Is it my system, or is it SketchUp?

I don’t know what this means. If you mean it is slow, read this thread. there seem to be two common causes. One has to do with graphics drivers. Updating them seems to have helped some. For others a security update from Microsoft from late last week was the culprit. Uninstalling the update helped.

I too have just removed the Windows Update KB4013429, and SketchUp is performing normally. Thanks to all! It did take about 30 minutes.

The issue is now knowing when Microsoft tries to force the patch on me. Of course, I’m toggling off the auto update. But they can rename/renumber the patch, and I’ll then have to depend on youze guys to identify the culprit patch…or wait for Microsoft to fix their patch.

Thanks a million!

1 Like

I don’t know but I have to think that there are other programs that were negatively affected by that update. It wouldn’t surprise me if Microsoft releases an update for the update at some point.

Following my removal of the security update Windows reinstalled it the following night and the selection tool problem returned. I uninstalled it again, which solved the problem again. Windows then fought back and reinstalled the troublesome update…but this time sketchup is still running fine!
The update has the same code and I haven’t updated my graphics driver or (knowingly) made any other changes. So, it’s a bit of a mystery, but at least I can stop fighting my OS and get on with my work now!

For the record, I’m running 2016 Pro.

I had the same problem with slow selection .
Removed the this month’s Window’s updates.
Problem solved.
Automatic update switched off.

Microsoft auto downloaded and re-installed the KB4013427 update again today, and SketchUp is again not working properly. I’ve done some research which preliminarily makes me conclude that if I stop the auto downloads I will expose myself to security threats. But that leaves me high and dry with respect to SketchUp Make – I can’t use it. How can this community collectively ask SketchUp to report this issue to Microsoft ASAP?

How can I stop the auto downloads? I thought that Microsoft had developed a utility/add-on that enables users to stop the auto downloads. Anyone has information on such a utility?

You do not have to do auto updates to stay up to date just make sure you update . At that time they will show you two types , mandatory and recommended. You have the option to select which ones will be installed and you can watch for the issue kb and not install. When they install a restore point is also made so you can roll back to old configuration. I have not done auto updates for years.

I don’t know if Win 10 still has this option, but Win 7 still allows the user to control how updates are handled. I like to be notified and be able to select what to download:

I am at windows 7> Just go to start, control panel, and then select windows update and that will bring up screen showing the options, w10 I don’t know?

This thread saved my mental health. Unistalled the KB4013429 update and Sketchup is now back to normal. Good find, people!

3 Likes