Rounded edges for wood knob

I really appreciate the input. I think that makes it about as simple as it is going to get. Thanks again

you’re very welcome, have fun ! :slight_smile:

Seems like maybe you may have come across my “Code Blue” wood project??

Indeed. I enjoyed it very much. I like the detail.

Tray front with knob.skp (92.8 KB)
I don’t know if this works but I tried to send you what I’m working on. When I use the follow me it comes up with a variety of rounded shapes for each segment.
All of the examples posted here looked like it easy solutions but, I hate to say it, I have spent the last day trying to get them to work with no success

You’ve got a couple of issue with your model.
Firstly the top of your cylinder is somehow slightly off axis, so the follow me is skewd.
Also you Profile face is off center.
Then as was mention above by @slbaumgartner you need to use the Dave Method to upscale your model for editing, as you are working at sizes that can fail in SU.

Here is a quick example of what I mean with your model. Notice how edits in he big version are repeated in the small version, and you can delete the big one when finished.
RoundHead

I followed your steps and now have exactly what I wanted. Nice way to start my day. Thank you!

1 Like

Glad I could help, at the end of my day.

1 Like

I would like to do that online thing but next week looks better for me. In the meantime could you give me any help on how I could round the edges on this box, both the top and all four corners?Box complete.skp (585.2 KB)

Hi Ken, after Tuesday I’m pretty flexible. Hang on. I’ll do something unless you want to look right now.

Something like this?

Before you do anything else, right click on the top of the box and choose Flip Along>Component’s Blue. Right click on the back long side and choose Flip Along>Component’s Red. This will mirror those components with respect to their counterparts.

The long sides are easy enough. Edit the component and draw the round over radius on the corners. Then use Push/Pull to push away the waste.

For the top and bottom, it is probably easier to go back to a rectangle. Round the corners with the Arc or 2-Point Arc tool. Delete the face inside the rectangle. Then draw a profile section for the thickness of the top. To save a bunch of cleanup work, make the radius on the profile very slightly smaller than the radius of the corners. I used 3/8 (0.375) for the corners and 0.370 for the profile radius.

The next part is best done at a larger scale. Use the “Dave Method” as suggested for the knob.

Select the path, get the Follow Me tool and click on the profile.

Erase the unneeded edges and the faces will fill top and bottom.

Another, easier way is to use Fredo6’s Round Corner extension which is available from Sketchucation.

I’m working on it…try to get all my questions together for a one-time shot.
Are you a football fan?

I don’t mind watching football but my life doesn’t revolve around it. I’m not like the guy up the street who is a big Ohio State fan. When they are playing he turns on the Ohio State neon light in his front window and has a lighted, inflatable Brutus Buckeye character on his lawn. :slight_smile:

First, why do I have all those lines on my corners and all around the top? Second, How do I fill in the top?
Why did you make the radius slightly smaller on the top radius?Box complete rounding.skp (614.8 KB)

The arcs for the radii were exploded at some point in your operation. You can soften those edges by opening the component for editing, selecting the geometry and then choosing Soften/Smooth Edges from the right click Context menu.

In your latest model, erase the vertical inside corner edges. Then trace a top inside edge to skin over the hole. On the bottom just erase the edges of the hole and it’ll heal. In my example, the very top face is flat so I just erased edges top and bottom to fill the hole.

I did that to eliminate a bit of additional cleanup work that is usually required if the corner and profile radii are the same.

These little unneeded edges and faces are commonly formed when the radii are the same.

This is like Christmas to me. I have the toy and now I found the instructions to go with it! I hope you know how much I appreciate your help. I taught computer programming and towards the end many of the business software packages (WORD, EXCEl, etc). However it seems like Sketchup is a bottomless pit cuz it’s constantly getting updated. I would love to teach the class but it’s capabilities vary significantly depending on your use.
Anyway, Thank you again and I will work on this while watching the games this afternoon. I will try to do as much as i can on my own so I can save your help for when I really need it.

2 Likes

I drew a square profile 3/8 out on the green axis. The 3/8 up on the blue axis. then connected them. Using the arc bulge tool I connected corner to corner and erased the outside remainder of the square. It looks like the arc is not long enough and Box complete rounding.skp (733.2 KB)
I get these little openings in each corner. I get the same thing on a couple of other rounding things I’ve been doing.

That’s because of the small size and the reason for the suggestions to use the Dave Method.

Project complete! No doubt you can find many areas that could be improved but at this point I’m a happy camper. It would have been impossible without your help. The “Dave Method” made all the difference.
I made all the rounding the same size and had to use a lot of “Soften” to get rid of extra lines. Also had a real challenge getting the rounding top back on the box lined up properly. I could not find a way to use the inference with all the rounded corners.
I suspect you will be busy celebrating your retirement next week but please let me know when you may have some time to share your knowledge. Thank you for all your help
Project complete.skp (890.8 KB)

Good job, Ken. It’s probably a small thing for your use but I’d suggest always working to make components solid. They tend to be easier to use and edit when they are. The top of the box needs a little attention. Editing it and erasing the verticals in the corners and then the edges of the rectangular opening on the bottom will fix it right up.

I think I’ll have to recover from the cake on Tuesday but it should take too long. I’ll let you know and we can connect.

Happy to help. Will you be watching the Vikings game?