Problems with School environment

Hello there,

im an Administrator of an school enviroment, in wich we use the Sketchup Make Version. While working in the programm the users get an user account control popup in wich the sofware asks to start a cmd window. the question is, why does sketchup trys to open a cmd ? this is not allowed in the school enviroment for security, and thats why they get the uac request. Question is, is there a way to deactivate the cmd request ?

best regards

Thomas Blank

did you have downloaded your version from the official download page?

OHHHHHHHHHHHH
The official isnt here:
http://www.sketchup.com/ ???

Thanks

It’s the same site. sketch3d_de’s link is just deeper in.

Yes i did loaded it from the Official Site last Summer. We have an Image wich we deployed in the whole school. So there is no option for us to update the software at the moment. But the software itself runs normal, we only got the cmd problem.

Can I ask what your native language is so we can give more specific links.
It would also help if you filled in your profile info correctly.

Hello,

i was ill a week long, so sorry for my late respond.
My native Language is German.

greetings

Thomas

Can you post a snapshot of the UAC message box ?
(Press ALT+PrintScreen keys when the UAC message box is visible and has the focus. Then either save the PNG someplace where it can be uplaoded here, or CTRL+V paste it here inline into a post.)

This request may be coming from a plugin. What is the plugin list you have installed for each SketchUp workstation ?

“Make” is a product edition.

So the version number would be one of:

SketchUp Release Notes >
SketchUp Pro 2015 and SketchUp Make 2015 - Maintenance Release 3
says:

15.3.331 - Windows 64­-bit
15.3.330 - Windows 32­-bit

The version number is displayed in the Help > About SketchUp… information window.

Hello,

sry im not able to bring a screenshot at the moment, but its the normal UAC asking for user credentials with rights. Also we have no adittional plugins installed(Just the standart Sketchup Make edition).

The version were using is the 15.3.330 32bit.

thanks so far

Thomas

To do what ?

Does the messagebox say what it wants permission to do ?

ie, create a folder ? read a file ? write a file, etc.

Did you switch off trial mode before you made the disk images?
It may be an attempt while in Pro Trial to access the cloud license server.

See: How to Skip Pro trial mode in SketchUp Make

For information:

When SketchUp starts the first time, for each user, it needs to create folders in the user’s %AppData% path at:
%AppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp

It needs to create sub-folders:
Classifications
Plugins
Gems32 (or Gems64 for the 64-bit edition. The creation of this folder may not happen until a gem installation is actually needed.)

It then needs to copy files and folders …

%ProgramFiles%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/ShippedClassifications
to:
%AppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Classifications

%ProgramFiles%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/ShippedExtensions
to:
%AppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins

Then SketchUp must also create and setup it’s application key in the user’s hive of the registry at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\SketchUp\\SketchUp 2015

Make this happens correctly for each user’s account upon first running SketchUp.

Hello

To do what ?

Does the messagebox say what it wants permission to do ?

ie, create a folder ? read a file ? write a file, etc.

→ That is exactely my Problem, it wants to open a CMD window. But i cannot see what happens in that CMD because it wont open logged in as an Administrator. When i enter the Admin Credentials in the UAC Window popping up under the Schooluser, the CMD Opens and closes directly(Cannot see what it does).

For information:

When SketchUp starts the first time, for each user, it needs to create folders in the user’s %AppData% path at:
“%AppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp”

It needs to create sub-folders:
Classifications
Plugins
Gems32 (or Gems64 for the 64-bit edition. The creation of this folder may not happen until a gem installation is actually needed.)

It then needs to copy files and folders …

“%ProgramFiles%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/ShippedClassifications”
to:
“%AppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Classifications”

“%ProgramFiles%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/ShippedExtensions”
to:
“%AppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins”

Then SketchUp must also create and setup it’s application key in the user’s hive of the registry at:
“HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SketchUp\SketchUp 2015”

Make this happens correctly for each user’s account upon first running SketchUp.

→ The trial mode is switched off. Also I have Set the Profile Settings once after Rollout for our Mandatory Profile.(Each User in School uses the same Profile wich is not editable) But i have no problem at the start of the application. The UAC Request comes in after a while when the programm runs (depends, somtimes after 10minutes, sometimes 20) i have not found a Trigger for it yet.

Greetings
Thomas

Is check for updates switched On ?

Can you switch each of the standard plugins off and see if the UAC access request stops ?

You might try to see if there are any clues in the Event Logs.
Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

Hello,

the Update check is On (It promts after Starting the Programm, so there is no Problem with that i think). But ill switch the standart plugins off and see what happens then. ill reply again.

greetings
Thomas

It should have been switched off. It’ll keep distracting the students. And it’ll try to get them to click a link to download the installer for the newest version. Which will lead to them trying to run the installer, etc., … oh well, next year turn it off before imaging the disk.

Yeah, i just recodnized it when i checked for the UAC Problem. Maybe i can deactivate it in the Vacations, editing the mandatory Profile(hope this setting is in the profile, not in the prog) otherwise they have to wait a year…

Window > Preferences (dialog) > General (panel)

The state of the checkboxes (and autosave frequency dropdown list) are written as attributes to registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SketchUp\SketchUp 2015\Preferences

So, yes it’s in the user profile.

(The main things written to the Machine wide hive are icon and file association handling. Ie, no machine-wide overrides for all profiles.)