Problem Geolocating Model

Hello,

I am having a problem with Geolocating my model in SketchUp Pro 2015. When I add a location the correct window comes up, and it then asks me to crop the bounding box around it. However when I click “Grab” the image just stays on screen and does not import into the model, and is frozen in place until I click “x”. This is not the first time this has happened to me but the last time it just went away. The strange thing is if I restart my computer and load sketchup again, it remembers the location when I click add location again it brings up the same area, but if I click grab the same thing happens with the image staying on screen.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks for the help

Thank you very much for the detailed and precise description.
There has been a very similar issue observed by other users, though nobody has yet been able to give more info about operating system and browser to narrow it down. Maybe you can give the missing info?
Also, what happens if you update Flash to the latest version?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, 64bit
. Flash is updated to the latest version. I’m not sure which browser to state as I have both Firefox and Internet Explorer on my computer due to some websites non compatibility with certain browsers. Does Sketchup retrieve the images via a browser?

Be sure to upgrade Flash. What version of Flash do you have on the machine? With the constant Flash security vulnerabilities and fixes, it’s probably best to allow Flash to autoupdate.

I am having the same problem. Here are my machines vital statistics:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard K01 v02.05, 07/05/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = “6.1.7601.17514”
User Name FIRSTBASE\SteveN
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.88 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.49 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.75 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.39 GB
Page File Space 3.88 GB

I have upgraded Flash and installed the latest version of Pro 2015.
Please help!

Steve

My flash is the most up to date version with automatic updates on. The image/terrain will not come into the SketchUp model however. Another symptom of the problem is when I first press add location and the window pops up if I try and drag edge to expand the window it simply displays a white background to the expanded area, whereas when the feature is working correctly it will show background map in the expanded area. Hope you can understand what I mean by this.

I know exactly what you mean!
Someone on another post suggested clearing the IE cache and cookies. Don’t bother it doesn’t help.
I use this function all the time and it’s a real pain that it’s stopped working.

I’ll see if I can get on a duplicate machine. Upgrade to IE 11, because we use the default embedded browser on the system (IE, and Safari on Mac), so even if you don’t use IE, upgrade it. Win7 comes with IE 8 (ugh), which folks like Google don’t support. We try our best to, but it’s painful.

And the details are helpful, because we can tell where in the action it’s failing: first, you’ll notice the camera shift the image to center and zoom to the capture region. It then gets the download from the maps API… once you hit grab, you shouldn’t do anything, and it should all happen pretty quickly. That appears to not be happening for you. We’ll check it out.

-b

Also I am running IE 11 and have been since I have started using Sketchup

Today the issue is fixed!

How long was it gone? The clue might be an expiring cookie or cache: perhaps something got messed up, then stored.

We have had older browser folks (SketchUp 2014 on Lion + Safari 5, for example), have issues. It’s worth noting that Google Maps API supports current browser and one version back. So neither Google nor Apple support Lion, which makes it nearly impossible for us.

It was gone for one full working day, I’m not sure how long exactly. Unfortunately when I got to work this morning the issue has returned !

It does not work today on three different computers within our office. One computer I just downloaded the trial version of the software which had never been used for Sketchup before and it was returning the same problem. So is it a problem for everyone using Sketchup at the moment?

Thanks Barry,

I will try the upgrade to IE 11 and let you know.

Steve

Have just checked what version IE I am using and it is version 11 and the auto-upgrade box is ticked so… any other ideas?

Steve

It’s not working for me again. It’s a bit of a joke really, I pay for the pro version and then the main feature which I need isn’t working. Limited to no technical support or sign of the problem being fixed?!

This maybe just a wild guess and not even up to date. But been thinking about it:
Some years ago when using GE and geo-locating a lot I had so many problems.
Updating everything, emptying caches, ( IE, GE…) the lot.

Well, It may not be the problem today, but emptying GE’s “unified_cache_leveldb_leveldb2” manually just did the trick.
Back then the folder could build up to enormous size. -They probably fixed all that by now.

So I don’t know about now :confused: Don’t use it so much these days.
But seems it still makes GE run better though.

I would jump on a hot fix in an instant if I could reproduce your error. The error is likely in your network and cache somewhere. I can give you some tips on how I try to repro these things, but unless we see the error, we can’t fix it.

First, open IE and go to the url https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/addLocation.html. Does the map show up?

Second, type an address into the search bar. Does the map zoom to the location you gave?

Third, click Select Region, does the window shift to try to do something, then fail? You should see a skp msg, and a resize rectangle coordinates in the url. If you get that, all is good in IE.

And that’s all the farther you can go in the browser - because the resize, imaging and terrain require SketchUp and our API agreement with Google.

So now to SketchUp client: Can you do the same 3 steps, but get a resize? Is just the image and terrain data download just failing? If so, there might be some bad cached data. To clear that, close SketchUp, go to C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2015\ and remove cookiejar.xml and session.dat. Restart SketchUp, and see if it helps.

I hope that helps.

-b

2 Likes

The first part worked fine so IE seems to be ok.
I deleted the cookiejar.xml and session.dat, restarted and it still hangs unfortunately.
The grab zooms in on the right area and then stalls. I noticed an insertion curser blinking away in the top left corner which might give a clue?
S

My Flash is 16.0.0.305, which according to adobe.com/software/flash/about is current. When you see white with the window expanded, that should snap back in a bit, which tells me your Flash is acting weirdly / slowly. 4GB is not a lot of memory, although it says you have 1.5 GB available. Have you been running this as the first thing you do after re-launch with no big files open? Does it improve?