OS X Yosemite testers?

I had been happily using SketchUp with Yosemite (outliner and all) until today when after many bugsplats and atos messages I can no longer open any Sketchup file.

This is a reply to myself. I followed Tommy’s instructions to Diegob with both disk permissions and getting rid of certain things in the library, and I find that everything is now working perfectly (in Yosemite). Haven’t retried the Outliner yet. Thanks very much to Tommy for the info.

With the new OS X Yosemite update, sketchup won’t let me use other objects as a reference when I pull or push an object. Any object in the background behind the actual object I’m push/pulling is turned to white making it impossible for me to reference them for a specific length.

With Outliner closed (did not need it for what I was doing) today, was able to work all day with not one crash on a 70mb model.

Similar problems for me in the middle of a big project. Updated to Yosemite and Sketchup PRO 2014 consistently fails during operations in the outliner or with outliner open.

from Bug Splat:

Date/Time:             2014-10-28 17:14:20.757 +1100
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.10 (14A389)
Report Version:        11
Anonymous UUID:        F361045A-D9D5-790D-354A-67DA512115E9

Sleep/Wake UUID:       BA8539BF-94DC-460A-B635-C03871A9B9D8

Time Awake Since Boot: 38000 seconds
Time Since Wake:       3300 seconds

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000008

So now to work out whether a roll back to Maveriks is feasible.
Please fix this ASAP as this is a show stopper

Please see my workaround on this thread: Crash after updating Mac OS X - #11 by Barry

I’m having trouble with so many threads, sorry I wasn’t faster responding to this one. Please post to that thread if you continue to have Yosemite issues, and share that link for me. Thanks, community.

-b

We’ve released SketchUp Pro 2015 which is Yosemite compatible. I encourage all Pro users with an active Maintenance and Support Plan to check your inbox for a new license for this new version and upgrade straight away.

If you let your Maintenance and Support Plan lapse or are using an older version then you can still upgrade in our online store at License Manager | SketchUp

This begs the question…will 2014 be fixed to work with Yosemite?

I cannot make any promises, but it’s very unlikely. Our commitment is to the current version and inside of the terms of the Maintenance and Support Plan users are entitled to upgrade to a new version at no additional cost. In the case of 2014, we were already working very heavily on SketchUp 2015 through the entire OS X Yosemite beta cycle and the fixes necessary were made in that new version.

If you don’t have an active Maintenance and Support Plan and plan to continue using an older version of SketchUp you will most likely need to revert to a previous operating system.

I find this very offensive as you are basically saying I have to either pay to upgrade or downgrade my operating system. These choices will cost me money or time. I have sketchup 2014 and I received no notice that upgrading to yosamite would cause a problem for current users. Which according to this thread you knew about before yosamite came out.

From a brief look at the release notes of 2015, I see very little if anything that falls into feature improvements. Almost all of the noted things are more in the way of improvements that help you develop the software better and integrate with other companies. Sorry 3-point arcs, rectangles (of any shape), and 64-bit software(hey welcome to 2010) are hardly what I’d call “features”

This kinda of behaviour is not encouraging for your business users and is enough to make me not want to pay for this software anymore. Thanks for showing again why opensource software is superior.

Thanks your feedback. We certainly didn’t plan for Yosemite to break our software which was available before Apple released it and we did the best we could to ensure that our customers we’ve committed to provide updates for were able to get back to work with a supported version of SketchUp.

Any chance the free version will be fixed for Yosemite? I have to use it for a school project that is coming up but it keeps crashing.

The latest version of SketchUp Make is the same basic software as SketchUp Pro 2015 so it will run fine on Yosemite.

I haven’t upgraded to Yosemite yet, as the word on the grapevine is that the new OS is buggy. I will work on the upgrade, and test when it’s done.

~Drew

I am testing 2015 Make for OSX Yosemite. So far, no issues. I haven’t done much though. @jody, I will let you know if I find anything.

~Drew

I really have to agree with this, this stinks. Yosemite was in Beta for a number of months, and was given to developers in ~June WWDC to test just this type of thing. SU is the ONLY software I have that has problems with Yosemite, including some very old titles. As c60nils said, this update is weak, or fixing things that didn’t even work properly in 2014. For the longest time users were asking for 64 bit, and we were told ‘ahh, you don’t need it’ even though there hasn’t been a computer with 32bit processor for how long now. Layout still sucks, IFC is still half assed, fixing yet another bug in 2014 - you can’t actually IMPORT IFC files. Oops. So this is hard to swallow, being asked to pay for fixing BUG, not for new and better features.

1 Like

Since installing Yosemite on my 17" MacBookPro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 I have been unable to use sketch up without it locking up my screen. At first it split the screen in 2, then the screen would get lined then it would go black. I was running an old version of SU so installed 2015 Make but have the same issue, so installed the pro trial and have the same issue. I am now unable to access any of my old drawings without the screen locking. Any assistance gratefully received.

Hi @sbolin, While I can appreciate your frustration the release of SketchUp Pro 2015 was not a bug fix for Yosemite, rather it was a full upgrade we were developing before Apple launched their Yosemite beta. Our primary loyalty must be towards what pays the bills and keeps the lights on, that’s the new folks buying SketchUp for the first time and those that are paying for the annual maintenance and support plan. We fix the bugs that we can in each release, maintenance or otherwise, and SketchUp 2015 was the release that came most promptly after the release of Yosemite. I will also stress that Yosemite isn’t even a month old, our own internal IT has still not deemed it secure enough for us to install in primary business computers. There will be some quirks in both Windows and OS X for a little while after a new release, I definitely encourage everyone I know to be prepared for that and to not upgrade if they’re not prepared for it.

@kv123, If you’re using the Pro version be sure to submit a ticket in our Knowledge Center. If you’re using the free version could you spin up a separate issue under the SketchUp > Technical Problems category please? This thread really won’t get much troubleshooting and a devoted post will get you much more mileage.

[quote=“kv123, post:47, topic:781, full:true”]then the screen would get lined then it would go black
[/quote]

that sounds like your GPU is going bad… have you seen this happen in any other applications?

Using outliner on OS X Yosemite and Sketchup 2015 causes several crashes (less than before).
I send crash reports. Is it useful?