OS X Users: SketchUp and El Capitan

The Presentation issue is specifically that you can’t escape out if the Notation tool was used. Presumably without the Notation tool you can escape normally.

I’m glad to hear that there aren’t any issues with the file import in 10.11.1. I’ll presume @Marc is already or will be shortly be downloading that latest update to test against.

That makes sense. Not having used presentation before I thought I was going to be able to orbit the model, but instead red lines appeared.

Ok, there are a couple other issues I didn’t know about that do exist… I’ll add them to my first post as well, but state them here for clarity.

• Exporting to some formats takes longer in El Cap than they did in Yosemite (eg. 3DS, OBJ)
  • The 2nd time you save a file in SketchUp or LayOut it looks like your original file disappears. It’s technically still there, but finder doesn’t refresh and show it to you. You can find it in the terminal, by saving a 3rd time (just saving again fixes the issue), or by some other action happening in that Finder window that forces the refresh. It also fixes itself after an autosave, so you might never notice it.

The simplest fix is when you save your file for the second time (which is when a backup file would normally be create for the first time) just save it again real quick and all will be right with the world.

1 Like

Loosely related… I’m trying to use the viewer on iOS 9.0.2 and it now crashes almost immediately. I’ve been using the viewer on my iPad Air 2 since Dropbox support was added. It had been working fine.

Tested Su & LO, the file disappearing at first save did not happen. Nor from open existing, nor from new.
But I can confirm LO freezes my machine if and only if, I use annotation in Presentation mode.

Hoping that one will bring thumbnails to skp and layout files. :smile:

1 Like

Move tool is not working properly in SketchUp - I ran to the update like a sucker - not the first time :confounded:

I don’t think we know of any existing issue with the move tool in SketchUp 2015 on El Capitan… can you elaborate?

-Marc

The move tool is erratic - for example, the last time i tried it - the axis snap was gone and I just couldnt move on the green axis. Since moving is one of the primordial operations - and Sketchup is my primordial tool, as Architect, I`m stuck!

I`ll temporarally go back to my VectorWorks 10 workflow - please give us an idea of deadline for the update - Thank you!

Att.

Arqt° Maurício Checchia

11 97112.4499
19 99955.4499

Can you give example exact steps that will always show a problem? I’m using the next version of Mac OS (10.11.1), and maybe something has been improved by Apple.

I just uploaded a video to show you what happen in SketchUp LayOut.
I would like to know what time can fix this problem and please don’t mind my poor english. Thank you!

Mac OS version:
10.11(15A284)

LayOut version :

That problem showed in SketchUp 2015 until I think the beta 6 of 10.11. Haven’t seen the issue since then, and it still seems to work ok.

Can you try using SketchUp 2015 instead of 2014?

I did not budget for upgrade to SketchUp Pro 2015 at this moment. :cry:

check, have you fixed the problem?
I have exactly the same problem and cannot find out how to fix it

Not yet, I think no body care older version of SketchUp.
Finally, I upgraded to 2015 pro & paid $700 :expressionless:

Unfortunately we don’t maintain older versions of SketchUp and as mentioned above, discourage upgrading to the latest OS, especially with older versions. SketchUp 2014 wasn’t supported in Mavericks or anything newer and we won’t be making retroactive changes to old versions to work with newer versions as they come out.

Cheuk, if you had a paid version of SketchUp 2014 then you should have just upgraded to 2015, not purchased a new license. Note that the cost to upgrade would have been $120 to upgrade while your Maintenance and Support Plan for 2014 was active, or then $180 if you had allowed that to lapse. If you did already own SketchUp Pro 2014 then you may wish to contact our Sales team as soon as possible to get a refund and to pursue the upgrade instead.

I didn’t even think about the ramifications when I upgraded to El Capitan. I have been experiencing what I think is a software problem (But could just be that I don’t know how to use it) . The “Entity Info” window has shrunken down horizontally so the window section is the same height as the title block at the top. All the information, layers, etc, is cut off and can’t be seen. The grip in the bottom right can stretch the window Horizontally, but will not pull it down vertically.

It worked normally for a few days since installing the operating system upgrade, so I am not sure if they are related. I have tried restarting the software, the computer etc. I have reinstalled pro 2015. I have opened and closed the window. It does the same thing if I open a new file. It has got me broken down, as it is the only way I know to manage the layers of groups. I don’t have a time machine backup, so getting back to Yosemite is not easy. If I knew this was an operating system issue I might be willing to go through the pain of a complete start over on my computer, and try to get it back to Yosemite.

Please Help.

did you try resetting the workspace, in “SketchUp” >> “Preferences” >> “Workspace” menu?

Thank you. That did it.

I’ve had this problem on the Mac Pro 2015 for a long time now. Just go to the Preferences-> Workspace and hit the Workspace reset button, they come back for a while and then it will happen again.