Orbit heavy lag with Mac OS X 10.11.4

Have you tried Sierra? It’s available on Apple’s developer site, and I think soon on Apple Beta Software Program if you don’t want to sign up for a free developer account. Probably should do it on another partition, since it’s not officially supported yet. Or tell me how to reproduce this (I can’t) and I’ll try it.

I haven’t tried Sierra yet, but I probably will eventually.

Barry, I’m curious whether you’re using the same sort of system, OS, hardware? Are you using an Intuos 5/pro? Bummer that you can’t reproduce it.

All that it takes for me is only to do an orbit while clicking down with the top Wacom pen button (probably same for @supersmanf). Predictable to reproduce, obvious result. Can be triggered via the hotkey button on the side of the pen or just switching to the orbit tool and trying to orbit. If I shut off all my other apps, I still get it.

Here are my specs:

Great, now mine has it too! :no_mouth:

I don’t always have the Wacom connected. It’s an Intuos Pro Medium (PTH-651). I have Wacom Desktop Center 6.3.16 installed.

Orbiting stutters now, about 50% of every second: It’s smootly working for a part of a second, the freezes for a fraction of a second to a whole second, then is smooth for half a second, etc.

@Barry Hi Barry. Have you tried creating a scene or two in your model?

Here the problem seems pretty easy to reproduce and I just tried it on a MacBook Pro 13" (Retina, Core i5, Intel Iris Graphics 6100, Early 2015) running OS X 10.11.4 where SketchUp has never been installed before:

1. Download SketchUp Pro 2016.
  2. Select ‘Woodworking - Millimeters’ template.
  3. Create a shape e.g. a box and make it a group.
  4. Orbit using a regular corded Apple Mighty Mouse (no Wacom or 3D mouse installed) and notice that orbit will most likely look and feel okay at this moment.
  5. Then create a single scene in the model and orbit will start to lag.
  6. Delete the scene and orbit will improve.

So the problem definitely seems to be related to scenes.

/Kristian

Repro’d, thanks for the GREAT steps, @kristian. I can also verify that it’s fixed on Sierra.

Fixed on Sierra! Good news.
Hopefully nothing else breaks with that release!

@Barry, the SpaceNagivator from 3Dconnexion won’t rotate correctly (after 1 minute) in SketchUp / 10.11 El Capitan. Do you have access to a 3D mouse? Very curious if macOS Sierra also fixes that…

Hmm… I’m trying the Space Explorer right now on 10.11, and not seeing it after a minute. Anyone have more steps to try?

I am running a Spacemouse Pro on 10.11.5 and I DID have issues like you are describing. completely uninstalling the 3Dconnexion software, restarting, then reinstalling the latest version fixed it. Not sure what it will do for you, but that’s what it took to fix my mouse.

1 Like

Interesting. I will certainly try this, even though I reinstalled the 3Dconnexion software once already, because I didn’t reboot in between.

Do / did you have a Wacom tablet or Wacom driver installed?

Well, so the solution is waiting for public release of MacOS Sierra? When is scheduled?

Apple doesn’t set specific release dates in advance, but typically a version announced at WWDC in the summer is released sometime in the fall.

At the time that I installed 3Dconnexion, I did not. I know that there is still an issue with Wacom and Mac, but I don’t think that it has an effect on 3D mice… in fact, I recommended a 3D mouse as a solution to the lag while orbiting with a tablet.

Did another test. 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator works fine with SketchUp on my rMBP 2013 now. Did I not remember this well or did this change after I reinstalled the drivers… I’ll never know. It still doesn’t work smoothly with my Mac Pro 2008 though.

My only 3-button mouse works with the ancient Intuos 2 Wacom tablet connected to my Mac Pro 2008. There, orbiting in SketchUp suffers from the mentioned heavy lag. My rMBP has an Intuos Pro Medium Wacom tablet, but doesn’t exist a 3-button mouse for it, so I use the orbit ‘tool’ and there it still lags. I tested this because I noticed the Mac Pro / Intuos 2 combination also refuses to move (annotation) text boxes in Preview, while this works fine with a (non-Wacom) mouse.

The Intuos 2 is no longer supported by Wacom on the latest versions of OS X so it’s already almost impossible to adjust settings for it. It looks like it will loose touch with the OS even more… Such a shame since the hardware is still OK!

Hi all-

Got a bit of an update for you, thanks for your patience.

As far as we can tell, the orbit lag is related to a piece of code that updates the status bar in SketchUp during orbit in a model that has a scene. With 10.11.4, this particular system routine takes much longer than before. We have reported this behavior change to Apple and we’re waiting for a response.

The sorta-useful workaround is to obscure the status bar at the bottom of the window so that it doesn’t have to draw itself on screen. For example, if you move the SketchUp window so that the bottom inch is off the bottom of your monitor, I would expect orbit to work smoothly again. Also, having a sufficiently large SketchUp dialog over the status bar will also “solve” the orbit lag.

I’d appreciate some more data points on this workaround, let me know how it behaves on your machines.

Thanks,
Marc

5 Likes

https://vimeo.com/172829025

It works…

It appears to work for me also. Mid 2012 MacBookPro Retina. OS X 10.11.5

This workaround does indeed seem to improve performance of the orbit tool. What a strange bug since nothing visible seems to be updated in the status bar.

@Marc Well, this works. Unfortunately this way I can’t see the VCB too. How could I solve it? Is there some trick to hide status bar without pulling in out of monitor?

You can use a resizable window, like components, and cover up the text between the little “Show the Instructor” button and the VCB / Measurements box, as below.