Loss of WebDialog Functionality in All Extensions, 3DW and EW

@DanRathbun Any other ideas? I have searched through every WebDialog problem thread I could find, I don’t know what else to do. Your help would be much appreciated.

You never said what version MSIE that was “up to date” ?

I have a batch script you can use to set the emulation, but I totally erased that registry attribute and both 3DW and EW sites work fine for me inside SketchUp (but I’m running MSIE 11.)

You can test for javascript from inside a WebDialog…

Open SU menu >> ‘Windows’ >> ‘Ruby Console’ and copy/paste this code and hit enter/return…

dlg = UI::WebDialog.new("Javascript Enabled?", true,"enabledJS", 900, 641, 150, 150, true)
 dlg.set_url "http://www.enable-javascript.com"
 dlg.show

it should show this message

Javascript is enabled in your web browser. If you disable JavaScript, this text will change.

if not the instructions are next item on that page…

john

Apologies, I meant that I was running the latest version, IE11.

Ruby Console showed “true” but did not show this message:

It did however open a browser window within SU explaining how to enable Javascript on numerous browsers. To get the above mentioned message I had to paste the URL into a web browser outside of SU. Either way, It appears Javascript is running.

It does not sound like Javascript is running in the WebDialogs.

This other user had the exact same issue, and he solved it:

Unfortunately, changing security to medium has had no effect on my issue.

EDIT: I visited http://www.enable-javascript.com on both IE and my default browser, Chrome, and both showed javascript as enabled.

What security package are you running ?

I am running Comodo and it is really aggressive at stomping on installers while they are trying to do their install tasks. I cannot walk away. I have to sit here and watch the lower right corner of the screen for Comodo popup queries. If I don’t answer the questions quickly enough, Comodo will sandbox tasks, and quarantine utilities, etc. and the install will happen correctly.

Anyway I am wondering if you have a similar issue with your security package.

You could check the logs in Event Viewer, or the Temp directory for the sketchup_install.log, see if anything in them indicates issues.

Where would I check which security package I am running?

UH… you should know this.

They have names like “McAfee”, “Norton”, “AVG”, etc. The often have a Firewall as part of the package.
(Some don’t like AVG Free, and we’d use the built-in Windows Firewall with that.)

ADD: There is usually a tray icon in the lower right of the taskbar, for whatever AV/Security package you’re running.

Oh! an AV. I thought you meant a certain native Windows security package, sorry.

I’m currently just using Windows Firewall as my HitmanPro AV was reading too many obviously safe files as viruses, looking to try something else. So, nothing impeding the installer at the moment.

that message should show in the WebDialog, not Ruby Console…

if it doesn’t, then WebDialogs do not have javascript enabled, mine looks like this…

post a screen shot if you get a different message…

EDIT: I don’t understand how Webdialogs work fine in SU2013 but not SU2015…

OK, it looks like you do not have javascript enabled for the version of IE used by SU…

@DanRathbun do you get the full ‘enabled’ message if you run the snippet?
john

I get the enabled message in IE web browser if that is what you’re asking…

EDIT: I see now you were asking Dan, not myself. sorry

Yepper. I have no problem running Javascript. The EW and 3DW pages work fine inside SketchUp for me.

Our systems are similar, except his graphics are newer and better than mine.

@DanRathbun [again, sorry @russelb923 ]

when SU started adding it’s own User Agent string, did it require any special security settings to use javascript?

thinking out loud…
john

Not that I remember.

@russelb923 Do you know how to check the Internet Options and set “sketchup.com” as a trusted site ?

Yes, this was done already.