Is it a bug? not possible to delete a hole touching a face

It seems not possible to delete a hole within a face correctly while the hole touches the face at one point.
It does not work neither via SketchUp UI nor via ruby code.

e = Sketchup.active_model.entities
f1 = e.add_face [1,1,0],[8,1,0],[4,5,0]
f2 = e.add_face [2,2,0],[7,2,0],[4,4,0]
f2.erase!

I have noticed this issue since SketchUp 2013

Maybe it has to do with this topic?

I think that has been filed as a bug, but not fixed.

[quote=“icehuli, post:1, topic:9600”]
It seems not possible to delete a hole within a face correctly while the hole touches the face at one point. …[/quote]
Maybe not as it is now. But if (for instance) you connect the inner top vertex with the outer top vertex by a new edge, then delete that edge again, then both faces are sepatated as how SketchUp should do in the first place. The geometry then looks the same but the inner face can be deleted.

2 Likes

That’s fascinating, @Wo3Dan. After reading your post and trying it, I tried connecting the inner figure with the outer figure at various different points. It turns out that any new edge drawn connecting the two figures seems to complete a slice that cuts all the way across the outer face, thereby intersecting it as you described. Also, it appears to work in the more general case of any two polygons where the inner touches the outer at one point, which may or may not be a vertex.

-Gully

[quote=“Wo3Dan, post:4, topic:9600”]
…, then both faces are sepa t ated as how SketchUp should do in the first place. …[/quote]
He Wodan, you made another typo. It’s sepa r ated.
@Gully_Foyle, yes, this is an approach that often seems to work, making SketchUp do what ‘Intersect Selected’ refuses to do.

Thanks @Wo3Dan. It seems working. However I need to delete the inner face twice to actually delete it. So I checked the Object Id. It looks like two duplicated face are created at the same position.
Is it the same for you? and @Gully_Foyle?

Thanks @Cotty. It seems to be a real problem, a difficult one. I will not struggle with it anymore.

Yeah. Since the second polygon doesn’t intersect the first one, it seems to be equipped with its own face.

-Gully

If you reverse the face you will see z-fighting, which confirms it’s creating a second face in the same place.

2 Likes