How to make roof in layer

I need help.
How can i draw roof for these house and make layer like first and second floor?Kuća-3-proba.skp (1.5 MB)

Create the roof in a separated group. Create a new layer named Roof. Right click on the group Entity Info and in the layer, select the Roof layer.
Or create a new layer named Roof, and click the left circle to make it active, then draw the roof in a new group. Click the small circle on the Layer 0 when you are done with the roof.

1 Like

Don’t do this!!! It will result in the geometry of the roof being in a separate layer. Which is NOT a good idea and is exactly what SU recommends you NOT do.

Frankly, I’m surprised that a SU Tech Support person recommended this.

If you have already created the roof, then here’s another way to get it (but not it’s geometry) into a separate layer:

1. Make sure that the geometry of the roof is in one or more groups (or components).
  2. Create the “roof” layer (if you haven’t already)
  3. Select the group(s). In the entity window, choose “roof” in the Layer field.

There are a lot of threads that emphasize the problems of drawing geometry anywhere other than layer0, such as:
Keeping Geometry Separate
Layering Mistake - any way to systematically fix?

I have already initially offered the steps you are repeating.
Then I said, OR… Which frankly I had no problems so far. Indeed I have heard from time to time there are issues with drawing on different layers than Layer0.
But, well, I am not working much with layers.
Cheers !

[quote=“ely862me, post:4, topic:22189, full:true”]
I have already initially offered the steps you are repeating. Then I said, OR… Which frankly I had no problems so far. Indeed I have heard from time to time there are issues with drawing on different layers than Layer0.But, well, I am not working much with layers.Cheers !
[/quote] It is a widely held opinion that ALL geometry [edges and faces] should always be created on Layer0.
Although it is possible, there are very few occasions when setting the current layer to be NOT Layer0 might be a good idea.
So it is overwhelmingly better to make your geometry on Layer0, then make groups or components containing that, then assign other Layers to those containers, so that you can switch those extra layers ON/OFF.
Layers control visibility, they do not separate entities.
So if you ill-advisedly assign a face to one layer and its edges to another… then you can get very weird effects…
Switch off the face’s layer, then delete one of its edges, which are still on a visible layer.
Switch on the face’s layer - the face is gone - it relied on the now-deleted edge on the other layer.

SketchUp’s Layers do NOT work like CAD Layers !

SketchUp’s Layers only control visibility.
SketchUp’s Layers do not separate geometry.

Making Groups and Components containing this geometry is SketchUp’s way of separating entities.
Assigning Layers to those ‘containers’ allows you to control their visibility.

It is really SketchUp Layers 1.0.1…

Not sure there is much to add to any of this except to say how I would do it.

Firstly, I use my own template that already has all the usual layers I need. They would include separate layers for walls and roofs.

ALL my raw geometry is drawn and kept on Layer 0, as standard procedure.

Once I had drawn the walls in Ciberdream’s drawing, I would make them into a Group and assign it to the Wall layer. Only then would I start drawing the roof (back on Layer 0). This ensures that no roof geometry sticks to wall elements. Once I had completed the roof, I would put that in a Group and assign it to layer Roof.

With a more complicated building, there may need to be sub-groups within each element type. So you might have the main roof in one group and an extension roof in another, but both would be nested within an overall roof group.

Thank you all for help. I already drawn roof like separate object and put that in a group but i was hope there is a easier way to make that because my roof dos not fit to the floor like it have to be.

I hope you understand my english :slight_smile:

Great. How would you like the roof to fit the floor ?

1 Like

Nevermind, i did like you write i first reply. It will be good. Thank you