How can I transform a 2d image into a 3d model?

perdon creo estar en la seccion equivocada…pero siguiendo el tema… en youtube he visto una hoja de papel con el diseño basico en la lateral en 2d y luego asi mismo lo copio en secciones y lo pego a los ejes y lo transformo en 3d… mi pregunta es como inserto un dibujo de 2d en skechup? o hay alguna extension en que pueda dibujar en 2d y luego importarla para hacerla 3d?? si alguien sabe que me avise soy muy muy nuevo aqui con este programa max 6 hrs de uso…gracias…

Just logged on purely to say thanks for making this excellent plugin!

3 Likes

Hi Jim - I seem to be experiencing some similar issues as some others that have asked for help in this thread.

I download the plugin - installed the extension in sketchup - followed the steps correctly (I think!) but when I select the BMP file and click Open, nothing happens/appears.

I have read through this thread and tried changing the camera to Parallel Projection and Zoom Extents with no luck. I don’t know if the problem is with my BMP image file or something else. I also opened the Ruby Console but the info that it displays may as well be in Latin as I have no idea what to look for. I do know that what my Ruby Console displays is nothing like one of your examples.

I should also mention that even though I installed the plugin via Preferences>Extensions and can select BMP Tracer in the Plugins drop down, BMP Tracer does NOT appear in my Extensions.

Any guidance you can provide is much appreciated! Thank you.

I’m sorry you’re having problems :frowning_face:

Can you cut and paste the results you’re getting? This will help me figure out the problem. Also, the image you’re trying to import would be helpful (if you don’t want to share it due to privacy concerns, post something similar).

It may be caused by the plugin not being registered … not sure (it doesn’t show up in my install, either).

hey, thats a goodie !

thx Jim

Hello again Jim - below is a copy and paste of what the Ruby Console shows when try to import the logo below.

r:0 g:0 b:0
Reading /Users/patrickream/Pictures/Blues logo bmp.bmp (2018-12-17 23:56:37 -0600)
FO: 54
Width:300 Height:65294
Error: #<NoMethodError: undefined method unpack' for nil:NilClass> /Users/patrickream/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/spirix_bmp_tracer.rb:208:in block in spirix_get_bmp_points’
/Users/patrickream/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/spirix_bmp_tracer.rb:207:in each' /Users/patrickream/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/spirix_bmp_tracer.rb:207:in spirix_get_bmp_points’
/Users/patrickream/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/spirix_bmp_tracer.rb:52:in spirix_bmp_tracer' /Users/patrickream/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/spirix_bmp_tracer.rb:312:in block in module:BMP_Tracer
-e:1:in `call’

Blues%20logo%202

The plugin requires a 24-bit color BMP file with “crisp” edges. The JPG you attached looks like this up close:

I opened it in Gimp and converted it to grayscale before adjusting the b/w threshold. Exporting it as a 24-bit color BMP gives this (the forum doesn’t allow uploading BMP files, for some reason):

Importing it into SketchUp where R=0, G=0, and B=0:

The image you posted is only 300 x 242 pixels. As a result, the edges are quite choppy. As a rule, the bigger the image, the better the results. Here’s an example of using one from Wikipedia (1024 x 818):

(By Source, Fair use, File:St. Louis Blues logo.svg - Wikipedia)

This one can be converted directly to 24-bit BMP … you’ll have to add a slight border as one of the requirements is that the desired image mustn’t touch the edge of the frame.

Running the import three times using RGB values of [0,38,84] for the black, [252,181,20] for the gold, and [0,47,135] for the blue (and coloring the outlines):

Hope this helps … let me know how you are progressing.

1 Like

BTW, I typically use Windows 7 Paint application … here’s how to use it to discover the RGB settings:

hey…

firstly thanks for helping shed some light on this… and like may others i’ve been having trouble too… i use a mac and exported the required file to BMP (24 bit)… installed the ruby console plug-in too… but that too is not showing up any data…

the bmp tracer tool does not import the file past the finder window…

have attached the file and the screenshots… please do tell me where i’m going .wrong…

thanks again…

P.S this forum isn’t allowing me to upload the BMP for some reason… and allowing me to upload only one image at a time…

MOS%20identity%20%5BRecovered%5D-02

Sorry to hear that you’re having problems …

Are you using 217, 27, 92 for the RGB values? Also, what does the console output show?

honestly ive not been able to even get to enable the plug-in (bmp tracer)

it shows up in the list of installed extensions, however seems to be getting toggled to disable by itself.

and any progress from there on to use to plug in to bring the bmp on the artboard is all futile…

it would be a big big help if you could turn this into an skp for me… i feel terrible asking but i am at wits end…

i do appreciate your time that you are taking to even reply…

thanks a whole bunch…

im also really out of options because all roads leading me out of this seem to require an .exe at some point…

i figured it out… apologies for asking before trying a lot harder… just learnt a couple of lessons here…

apologies again and thank you for the gyaan :slight_smile:

1 Like

@jimhami42

Hi Jim, i’m trying to use the bmp tracer and it don’t work with the bmp file I’ve created. To make sure that the extensions works, I downloaded an image from this blog and it did work as expected. Could you please explain to me, how to generate a bmp file correctly so that I can open it with sketchup. I was using illustrator to create the bmp texture. I exported it as a .bmp file with 24bits

texture.pdf (1.1 MB)

Hi @JDR07 - Are you trying to create shapes from the outlines? If so, they should be filled like this:

and not this:

Also, the “open” shapes may create a problem:

I don’t know if the border in the PDF file is part of the image, but there should be at least two or more white pixels along each edge … having the black touch the sides is a no-no.

If you open the Ruby console before running the import, does it give any errors? This can help to pinpoint the problem.

I’ve tried creating a .bmp with just a closed filled simple square and it still doesn’t work. How do you create a .bmp file?

This is what I get in the ruby console

r:0 g:0 b:0
Reading /Users/JDR07/Desktop/texture2.BMP (2019-07-23 15:47:34 -0600)
FO: 54
Width:2076 Height:2471
Closing /Users/JDR07/Desktop/texture2.BMP (2019-07-23 15:47:37 -0600)
Original: 17 (2019-07-23 15:47:37 -0600)
Smoothed: 1 (2019-07-23 15:47:37 -0600)
Error: #<TypeError: wrong argument type Sketchup::Edge (expected Array)>
/Users/JDR07/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/spirix_bmp_tracer.rb:89:in add_face' /Users/JDR07/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/spirix_bmp_tracer.rb:89:in spirix_bmp_tracer’
/Users/JDR07/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/spirix_bmp_tracer.rb:312:in `block in module:BMP_Tracer

It would help if you could post the BMP file. I generally use Windows Paint and start with a black and white image. Once I’m done, I save it as a 24-bit color image. This produces “crisp” edges.

Have you seen this video?

The .bmp file is not supported so I can’t upload the file. But here’s an explanation on how I do it.

First I draw the shape I want

then I export it as .bmp