Having a problem sizing a DC. Works fine until duplicated

I have been beating my head against a wall for a few days now. I created a drawer that will be used in a number of locations with varying sizes and some with runners and some without. I’ve created a DC that works pretty well, but when I insert a second (not copied) I can no longer resize either component either by scaling or by the attribute window.
I’m fairly new to Dynamic Components, so maybe I’m missing something. I’ve included my drawer to be inserted into a blank file for anyone (172.7 KB) who wants to see if they can find what’s going on.
S1 Drawer R2.skp

Groups don’t always behave correctly in DC’s. Try using Components instead of Groups.

Oh man, thanks. I would have never thought about that. It seems to have resolved the issue… After three days of struggle, mind you. You’re a life saver.

You’re welcome. Using a Group is probably OK if the Group does not have any dynamic properties - most of yours do. The general rule of thumb - always use Components in a Dynamic Component. Groups may be OK if they do not have any dynamic attributes.

I also noticed your component is geo-located. This prevents the user from placing the component on import using the mouse.

Otherwise, nice DC.

I have recently switched to using groups instead of components as parts in dynamic components, with dynamic properties. It stops the proliferation of component definitions each dynamic subcomponent creates in the component browser, and the sometimes odd interactions that happen when you place an instance of a subcomponent outside the DC context. Also, groups are by definition unique, as each part inside a DC must be. I haven’t noticed any downsides.

Anssi

I too have used Groups without issue, but sometimes problems do occur as in this case. Do you know the reason or know of another way to fix the model in question?

I didn’t know that components within geolocated drawings would also be geolocated. Is there any way to remove it.?

I don’t know if SketchUp has a way to remove it. Here’s how I removed it.

Open (not Import) the DC. Paste this in the Ruby Console window then press ENTER:

Sketchup.active_model.attribute_dictionaries.delete("GeoReference")

Save the model. Now when you do Import the DC, it will stick to the cursor